15784Re: re zaireeka just say no rev men

  • wingsoftoast
    Sep 6, 2002
      blimey- do you two know each other or something??? cool your boots
      personally the whole rev being a bit dull thing to me is just part of
      a wider post-rock dullness malaise (apart from the boredoms and
      selected acid mothers bits) - rock seems to have as much in common
      with fashion as it does with classical / jazz / folk - the spurious
      quest for novelty for its own sake. The Strokes album is easily the
      strongest 'rock' album of the last year despite the fact that it
      sounds just like Television (why is originality such a big deal in
      the age of mechanical reproduction?)- though i bought stuff by Jackie-
      O and the No-Necks i can't help feeling that it's somewhat joyless
      nurdley rubbish - emerson lake and palmer without the money / pomp-
      vague? to like post-rock is to buy into a myth and i'd rather be
      entertained myth or no myth.

      a lot of post-rock bands seem to wear the badge of 'improvisation' as
      if this was some sort of seal of quality in itself - what they forget
      is that spontanaeity is part of any truly creative act (see cocteau
      or wagner for similar viewpoint)whether written on a page or blown
      straight out of a saxophone. aside from this they all seem to be
      slightly overweight and bald.

      on a final note - brainfuck fans should check out the last hour of
      wagner's 'tristan and isolde' for a totally unexpected and completely
      devastatingly fucking fantastic direct to the motherlode experience -
      oh and the wire was right a couple of issues ago about shirley
      collins (who'd have though folk could be so untweediddly?)

      --- In thewire@y..., "gradyfinklemyer" <gradyfinklemyer@y...> wrote:
      > Wow that's funny. Did you recently purchase a sense of humour from
      > someone? But seriously, could you recommend which David Hasselhoff
      > cd's sound best when you're on your treadmill? Oh, I forgot, you
      > listen to "stoner metal". Hey everyone, just picture Davis
      > to be a stoner whilst listening to his stoner metal. Did your
      > school mates call you a "poseur" when you were in junior high/high
      > school?
      > --- In thewire@y..., Davis Ford <davisford@y...> wrote:
      > > good one, carrot top. hey, next time you want to eat
      > > a pumpkin-head full of peyote and go lie down in the
      > > desert let me know. we'll take the ghetto-blaster and
      > > nothing but missy elliot and keiji haino cds!
      > > woops...forgot about destroying your "life".
      > >
      > > 1-800-CALL-ATT, good buddy!
      > >
      > > > --- In thewire@y..., "gradyfinklemyer"
      > > > cares if they destroy
      > > > enjoyable.