15639Re: [thewire] Re: Merzbox & Japanese indie book

  • R. Lim
    Aug 13, 2002
      First off- I want to slightly amend the comments I made about the Japanese
      Independent Music book, specifically about how it doesn't seem like it was
      meant serve as an intro/overview. I finally sat down and read all the
      essays and Paul Collett's stands out as just that. I think there's an
      expanded version on his web-site (http://noise.as).

      On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, gradyfinklemyer wrote:

      > Maybe so, but does that make it any more listenable? As far as 50
      > disc box sets go, I'd rather get Klaus Schulze's The Historic
      > Edition. At least it would be listenable. By the way, has anyone

      The Historic Edition is only 10 CDs. You, no doubt, are referring to the
      Ultimate Edition (which incorporates the Silver Edition, the Historic
      Edition _and_ the Jubilee Edition):
      http://www.klaus-schulze.com/disco/7a01ul.htm.

      I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the Merzbox is a more interesting
      listen than any 64 hr collection of Schulze material (a guy who, if I'm
      not mistaken, hasn't done much of note in the last 20 years or so). On
      the other hand, I didn't realize there was only space in the world for one
      50 CD box.

      By the way, has anybody ever considered that the concept of (small e)
      extreme inherent in a 50 CD box set is a deliberate aesthetic choice that
      might be related to Akita's artistic pursuits?

      -rob

      --
      Janitor From Mars playlists and archives @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic