15634Re: [thewire] Re: Merzbox

  • reid tamashiro
    Aug 13, 2002
      --- stevolende <stevolende@...> wrote:
      > --- In thewire@y..., reid tamashiro <reidtama@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Besides, if your music collection runs in the
      > > thousands, the question seems a bit comical. "What
      > > fool would spend $500 on 50 cds?!...Uh, I gotta go
      > > home a catalogue my 2,000+ collection..."
      > > >
      > from where i'm standing the answer to this and an
      > earlier post from
      > you is that when you're collecting individual works
      > and get a lot of
      > them, you've done so on a far more individual basis.
      > i.e. you have a big collection of one offs
      > if you get a 50 cd box you just have this monolithic
      > bulk that you
      > need to work out how to break down yourself. to me
      > that seems
      > daunting + somewhat artificial.

      I see your point about getting a huge collection in
      one crack, but, even when you purchase albums
      individually, you have to break down the music.
      Rarely, can one live with a piece of music before
      he/she purchases it. So you buy stuff, and you live
      with it, and in the process get a better sense of what
      you like.

      > How do you introduce a new listener to
      > the work of an artist? You know that the following
      > records are good....., that means several lps. But
      the newcomer is listening in real time, so hasn't got
      the chance to let something grow on them the
      > way that somebody more familiar with the work would
      > have. Trying to convince somebody to stay on track
      with the music they're being introduced to is
      impossible, shouldn't be tried cos its artificial.
      > The area of personal choice pretty obviously can't
      > be dictated.
      > to get to points where you can discuss music might
      > take a longer time
      > than you've got.
      > Is there a way around it? or is that like asking the
      > length of a
      > piece of string?

      If I understand you correctly, I don't think there is
      a way around it. For some music (and depending on the
      individual), it takes a significant amount of time to
      get into. I don't see how you can get around that.
      Hopefully, if they don't like it, they'll come back to
      it at a later time.

      Reid

      HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
      http://www.hotjobs.com