13909Re: [thewire] black 'n' white (was Year-End list)

  • A.S. Van Dorston
    Jan 7, 2002
      It came out in UK and made the lists of The Wire, NME, MOJO and possibly
      Uncut and Q, but usually not as high up as Missy or Jay-Z.

      You'll be happy to know the U.S. version is far superior to the UK version
      (see review in original post, or www.fastnbulbous.com/nerd_in.htm)

      Tony

      At 08:02 PM 1/7/02 -0600, you wrote:
      >N.E.R.D.'s 'In Search Of' is a great record. It didn't come out in the U.S.
      >yet, I don't think, aside from the "Lapdance" single. It's due out later
      >this month or early next.
      >
      >Marc
      >
      >At 07:38 PM 1/7/02 -0600, A.S. Van Dorston wrote:
      > >Listen to the entire Missy Elliott album and it's not as consistent as Supa
      > >Dupa Fly, but better than her second album. I think it was good -- I
      > >ranked it about 81 in my list. I think my original question was, is it
      > >possible that Miss E, Jay-Z and Cannibal Ox were near the top of the lists
      > >because they were the few token black artists, so they carried extra weight
      > >in some minds? Let's say if those albums hovered just below a critic's top
      > >10 or 20, they might be accused of having homogenous taste. So perhaps the
      > >ranking gets inflated for the sake of "balance." Or perhaps not. Why not
      > >put N*E*R*D at the top -- is it possible they aren't "black" enough,
      > >because their album represents a synthesis with rock music, which is
      > >considered "white," despite the valiant efforts of Hendrix, Isley Bros,
      > >Funkadelic, Bad Brains and now Black Jack Johnson Project, to reclaim it?
      > >
      > >Just questions, not any sort of theory.

      > - - -
      >Marc Weidenbaum
      >www.disquiet.com