13215Re: Stockhausen

  • Stevo
    Oct 3, 2001
      --- In thewire@y..., ralph2391311@y... wrote:
      > What did he say? Can someone please post it?

      i thought i'd posted this when i got it from the avant garde list
      this is supposed to be Stockhausen's response to the towers incident
      UI just picked it up at Avant garde
      -not sure where the quotes are from
      "I heard this from the master's own voice, as somebody had the good
      idea to tape this unbelievable, presumably improvised speech...

      Two concerts with music by Karlheinz Stockhausen were scheduled for
      last weekend in Hamburg. At a press conference the composer told a
      bewildered audience:

      - You must change your way of thinking for a minute now! And I'm
      gonna tell you that in my view what happened there (re: the terrorist
      attacks) in America, this is simply the greatest work of art that
      existed - ever. I mean, imagine, I talk to you as a musician now,
      imagine 50 people rehearsing LIKE CRAZY for ten years and then giving
      a performance, people who DIE during that performance, and send 5000
      others into redemption. I mean, think about it - that's so
      incredible...I mean...I assure you, I couldn't do that...This, I
      couldn't do it.

      Both concerts by Stockhausen in Hamburg were called off.

      As a commentator in Deutschlandfunk said:

      -Whatever happens in this world, there will always be a German
      professor coming up and trying to tell people what it
      meant "aesthetically". We have seen that several times in our
      history..."

      Stockhausen claims he was misquoted. The following is from
      stockhausen.org:

      Subject: Stockhausen press conference in Hamburg, Germany

      Statement by Kathinka Pasveer to Jim Stonebraker
      September 18, 2001 evening

      Stockhausen is not yet at home.

      I was at the press conference in Hamburg.

      Being asked by journalist, if MICHAEL, EVE and LUCIFER were historical
      figures of the past, he answered that they were existing now.

      For example, LUCIFER in the attack of New York.

      After more questions about this he said "that for a musician it seems
      like
      rehearsing ten years for one concert and then killing oneself and 5000
      people. The whole planning looked like the greatest piece of art of
      LUCIFER."

      Naturally Stockhausen is shocked - like everybody else - by the
      horror of
      this terrible event and cannot understand it.

      The journalist (for BILD) has completely twisted Stockhausen's words
      out of
      context and used it against the Hamburg Festival of New Music.

      Kathinka Pasveer - Stockhausen-Verlag
      K├╝rten, Germany

      Webmaster's note:

      Stockhausen's comments during the Hamburg interview were delivered in
      the
      context of a metaphoric line of questioning. He provided an
      allegorical
      answer to an allegorical question.

      Anyone who knows Stockhausen can tell you that he is a compassionate
      and
      thoughtful person. The journalist who spewed forth this unconscionable
      poison should immediately retract his untruthful reporting and
      publish an
      apology to Stockhausen.

      I live in the US and we have suffered through this cowardly and
      hateful
      attack on our nation by terrorists. As a loyal and patriotic
      American, I can
      tell you that Karlheinz Stockhausen is not the kind of man to condone
      terrorism in ANY form.

      On September 13 Kathinka Pasveer sent me a thoughtful fax from
      Karlheinz,
      Suzee Stephens (who is American) and herself that said "We all follow
      the
      tragedy in the USA and pray for you all. So terrible."

      The reporter who wrote this rubbish for the sake of his own financial
      and
      professional gain should be condemned by the public for his
      sensational lies
      and promptly fired by his employer.

      James Stonebraker, Webmaster
      St. Louis, Missouri USA
      Claims of misquotation seem to be challenged by Stockhausen's
      children.
      Daughter Majella is quoted in today's Abendzeitung (Munich) as saying
      that the "fascistic undertone" of her father's statement is so
      offensive that she will not use the Stockhausen surname again. And
      Simon Stockhausen is quoted as saying "my father has lost all touch
      with reality. He just hears the attack as music".
      Are these more misquotes, by different journalists? That would imply
      a rather broad-based press conspiracy. And to what conceivable end?

      Is the claim from stockhausen.org an attempt at "damage control"?

      Nevertheless some journalists try to make a, so to speak, backlash
      against the Stockhausen backlash. Net-zine "Telepolis" subtitles its
      annoying story with "Composer Karlheinz Stockhausen fails at demanded
      German affliction work". Furthermore the article takes side against
      "emotional correctness".
      http://www.heise.de/tp/deutsch/special/auf/9595/1.html

      sorry some of that is individual stuff from the list
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic