11276Re: [thewire] Re: PLEASE READ

  • Patrick Oliver
    Mar 29, 2001
      I read an interview with Brian Eno a few years ago in
      which he complained about the state of art and music.
      Using the image of a running race to describe the
      creative process he said something along the lines of:
      every time you think you've come up with something
      original there's an advertising executive with red
      braces waiting on the finishing line to give you a big
      bear hug.

      I often think its sad what happened to the small
      generation that those same executives called "X"ers.
      In Britain, at least, we thought we had an interesting
      sub-culture (call it rave, house, acid, whatever) and
      for a while things seemed to get interesting. A
      plethora of small labels and record stores that sprang
      up in the late 1980s, below the radar screens of the
      majors, religiously selling vinyl when the corporate
      giants were telling us to buy cds.

      But - and here comes the bear hug - how did we miss
      the fact that cheaply produced, anonymous,
      instrumental music would be perfect for, well,
      advertising?

      In a way its upsetting to see friends of mine who used
      to be underground djs making music for US Army
      commercials. But at the same time they don't have to
      borrow money from me any more. Their music goes out to
      a wider audience than ever before, more often and they
      get paid.

      Is it okay, then, that underground music finds a wider
      audience? That subculture becomes mass culture? On the
      face of it, if the artists don't have to compromise,
      the answer is no. But what this means in the long term
      and in a wider sense what this means for the music
      industry I think the effects are catastrophic.

      I'm no expert but a process seems to have been in
      motion over the past couple of decades in which the
      lines between mass and sub cultures have become
      blurred. Back in the late '80s/early 90's a sub
      culture would become mass when someone like Madonna
      "discovered" it. Today, new media and technologies
      along with ever growing media conglomerates have
      created mass cultures divided along age and cultural
      definitions, as well as mass cultures based on
      collections of sub cultures. The ultimate aim, of
      course, is the total commodification of music, fashion
      and culture. So that the entire recording industry can
      be owned by a few entities and so that ultimately
      tastes can be tamed and controlled.

      Thus, the MP3 sites were around, as in the case of the
      dance music labels/stores, long enough for the majors
      to learn what they needed to. Marketing has become
      ever more invasive as sophisticated technologies track
      peoples shopping and browsing habits. Cross marketing
      and credit cards now allow conglomerates to match
      peoples cd purchases with their TV and movie watching
      habits as well as their clothes, food and travel
      preferences.

      Ultimately, as the huge media companies and their vast
      marketing capabilities continue to absorb any
      subversive movements we'll see more homogeneous dross
      and less from what we consider to be real artists in
      general. This much is obvious, I suppose, our musical
      tastes racing to stay just beyond the grasp of a pair
      of dexter specs and a Paul Smith suit.

      The simple answer must be yes, vinyl exists outside
      the mainstream and must therefore provide an
      underground arena for interesting music. But is the
      act of clinging to an anachronistic medium as a tool
      of subversion really a substantial threat to the
      tedium of corporate culture or is it just the pathetic
      posturing of an alienated, nostalgic generation?

      Discover hip hop my friend...

      http://www.discoverhiphop.com/

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/olMXHC/BJVCAA/4ihDAA/n6EVlB/TM

      === message truncated ===