  • jeff_colley@yahoo.co.uk
    Mar 29, 2001
      Yeah, I see your point. I should have made myself a little clearer
      though. From what I have seen there was a significant shift away from
      vinyl at the end of the 80s, which looks like it was based on a
      policy which swept across the music industry. Now, what I mean is, I
      think a lot of people in the underground (and generally on the
      fringes) went on releasing vinyl instead of cds, for a number of
      reasons. For example, in terms of practicality, I know that smaller
      labels and D.I.Y operators may have found the new technologies too
      expensive to invest in, but I think there was a definite cultural
      reaction. The most explicit example I can think of is when the San
      Diego band Drive Like Jehu were (if I remember correctly) put under
      pressure by their record company to release their new album on CD,
      which they did, but with the words 'cds really fuckin' blow' printed
      on the cds, a protest of sorts.
      However, I think there has been a significant shift in recent years,
      which can also be traced back to many possible causes. For example,
      vinyl has seen a resurgence in mass culture in general due to the
      growth of the cult of the DJ--teenage kids get decks instead of
      electric guitars nowadays. Off the back of this, and the growing
      fragmentation of mass audiences, many of whom seep into underground
      culture via leftfield hiphop, electronica and dance, it may be more
      in the interests of the market to promote vinyl, at least to a
      limited extent. Especially seeing the air of cool that people are
      staring to reassociate with it in mass-culture.
      Furthermore, in underground culture, I believe there has been a shift
      away from vinyl culture recently, or at least efforts to place less
      stress on it. Again, there are many factors that I can see that are
      leading to this. For starts, it is becoming cheaper all the time to
      release cds (and there are even some people selling their music
      solely as an intangible object, via mp3's). Which leads to the fact
      that much music is being made/consumed via computers (and thus cds
      are an easier option than vinyl). So there's the
      ecenomic/technological side.
      But also, there's a reaction, I feel, to the commodification of DJ
      culture, and a feeling that music shouldn't need to be pinned down to
      any one format. If certain types of music do this, it's a lot easier
      to pigeonhole them, and not need to think about them anymore. But
      working in different formats (given the history I've mentioned) helps
      to keep things shifting, and evolving. So that even people involved
      in the culture can't be too sure of themselves. So it's good in that
      it helps to work against things like elitism, forces people to be
      more open. And I think that's increasingly becoming a trend in these
      leftfield/experimental/obsessive music cultures: openness,
      enthiusiasm, diversity, etc. Even to the extent of blurring lines
      between serious and pop, good and bad, etc. Just raising questions in
      general. Hopefully, this will lead to the continuation and growth of
      people making and listening to interesting, fresh, new music.

      Sorry for going on...again.

      --- In thewire@y..., simonsmith@r... wrote:
      > The reality is that my local HMV will order for me virtually any
      release I want on vinyl from the smallest label - so long as it's got
      proper distribution - and, as the classified pages of Wire show every
      month, there's no shortage of companies doing mail/internet order.
      > In the past few weeks Virgin and HMV just down the road have
      stocked vinyl releases from - off the top of my head - V/VM,
      Stockhausen and Walkman, practically everything released on Domino or
      Warp, all the Sonic Youth own-label releases, all the Soul Jazz
      compilations on vinyl, lots of white label dance stuff, some decent
      jazz reissues, Sigur Ros, every Godspeed release and some other
      Constellation stuff.
      > OK, there's nothing too bleeding edge, but what do we want ... the
      moon on a stick? I think it's pretty good going within the
      constraints of a capitalist market economy. And no, I don't work for
      them. Anyone who argues that there isn't ENOUGH music released - on
      vinyl or otherwise - either has too much time on their hands or
      doesn't look hard enough.
      > AND, practically every hip-hop, new metal or US 'punk' release gets
      mainstream vinyl distribution - surely a sign that the market-driven
      approach adopted by the majors is flexible enough to incorporate a
      bit of youthful dissent.
      > Subject: [thewire] Re: PLEASE READ
      > Author: jeff_colley@y... at INTERNET
      > Date: 28/03/2001 20:28
      > Patrick said:
      > One of the many reasons that I moved to the US. And that I try to
      only buy stuff on vinyl.
      > > And that I try to only buy stuff on vinyl.
      > interesting. do you think that that's a reason why so much
      underground/indie/experimental/etc stuff gets put out on vinyl, often
      as the main or only format? as a reaction to record company control?
      > if anyone has opinions on this i'd love to hear them
      > jeff
      > --- In thewire@y..., Patrick Oliver <patrick_oliver@y...> wrote: >
      Yes, its utterly evil and despicable. In fact, you'd
      > > be even more disgusted by the price of cds in the UK. > Several
      years ago Sir Leon Brittan led a parliamentary > inquiry into the
      whole business of why the British
      > > public should have to fork out more than anyone else > in the
      world. The finding of the committee?
      > > > British people pay more for EVERYTHING. > > So that explains it.
      > > > One of the many reasons that I moved to the US. > > And that I
      try to only buy stuff on vinyl.
      > > > There, I said my piece...

      ~-~> We give away $70,000 a month! Come to iWin.com for