Re:Regarding bombers that sank Panay

  • peterbigbass@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
      With all due respect, I have to disagree with Robert. The aircraft in
      Question is a Nakajima A2N2, Not the Aichi D3A. There are 4 stills in H.D.
      Perry's The Panay Incident, photgraphed by Norman Alley, which clearly show an
      a/c with one strut per wing. The D3A had two according to a
      _www.combinedfleet.com_ (http://www.combinedfleet.com/) photo and was also a 2-seater.

      I owe a debt of gratitude to Henry Sirotin for providing this final piece
      of the puzzle to my research at this time.

      The reason I did not find the A2N on combined fleet initially is because it
      was listed as a fighter. It entered service in 1931 and had been surpassed
      by the Mitsubishi A5M "Claude" by 1937. The four Alley photos show a plane
      with no dihedral to the upper wing, which makes this a -2 model. The -3 had
      the upper wing dihedral.
      Other factors in the attack are the range from Changchow airfield to
      the target on 12/12/37 which was about a 200-240 mile round trip, which the
      A2N could handle. According to Perry, Some carried one 500 lb bomb and some
      carried two 130 lb bombs. It appears that the IJN merely adapted what was
      available to them in the field to achieve the desired result. That being the
      employment of trained dive bomber pilots in combat.
      I hope you find this info useful. Peter Motyka

      Steps!
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377040x1201454360/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
      eExcfooterNO62)

    • peterbigbass@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
        Oh yeah...one other point

        Regarding the A2N2, combined fleet reports that it was withdrawn from all
        front line service in early 1941 and may have not had an allied code name
        assigned to it.
        Does anyone have any info on this ? Thanks...........PM