Books About the Yangtze Patrol printed before 1937

  • swordpen58
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26 6:32 AM
      Old Asia Hands

      I've been contacted by a English-speaking Hong Kong publisher for suggestions of worthy books on the Yangtze Patrol printed before 1937.

      Actually the question was "Are there any books that you know of - fiction or memoirs or anything- on the Yangtze River Patrol before 1937?" which may not be "printed" but simply deal with that era.

      I, of course, immediately came here for suggestions. Who would know better?

      Roger
      ~~~~~~~~~
      R. L. Crossland
      CAPT USN (Ret.)
      http://dreadnaughts-bluejackets.com

      "'Old Navy' is a battlecry, not a brandname."

      "Whatever happens, we have got
      the Maxim gun, and they have not." - H. Belloc
    • Steven Bryson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26 9:49 AM
        Hello CAPT. Crossland,

        In my bookcase I found these books that were published prior to 1937 that deal at least somewhat with the gunboats on the Yangtze River (though mostly from the British point of view):

        A U.S. Midshipman in China, by Lieutenant Commander Yates Stirling, Jr.  The book I have shows publishing dates of 1909 and 1926.

        Glimpses of the Yangtze Gorges, by Cornell Plant, "The Pilot".  Mine is a second edition, with a date of 1926.  While not specifically about the Yangtze Patrol or gunboats, it is still a very worthwhile book for someone interested in gunboats.

        Pirates, by "Taffrail" (Captain Taprell Dorling, D.S.O., R.N.).  First published October 1929.  The forward states, "...the descriptions of piratical aatacks in the Canton Delta, the means taken to suppress them, together with the general situation and the work of a typical British gunboat, may, in general, be taken as a true picture of what actually occurred between 1924 and 1927."

        "Excelsior": Being and Inadequate Description of the Upper Yangtze, by "Charon".  I have a 1934 printing of this book.  The title page reads, "Dedicated to those who served with him on the Upper River 1926-1928 and 1932-1934".  The foward starts off, "The following notes on the Upper Yangtze have been put together with a view of giving the Ship's Companies of Gunboats some idea of the many points of interest which are met with on the trip from I-Ching to Chungking."  The author was a British naval officer, but I don't recall his real name.

        Yangtze Skipper, by Thomas Woodroofe.  My U.S. edition shows a printing date of 1937.  This book can also be found under the title, River of Golden Sand.  The author was a British naval officer, and the story is a semi-autobiographical account of his service in a gunboat on the Yangtze.  A very good read.

        The Beeps: The Flights and Cruises of Three Missouri Tree Sparrows, by Virginia Holton.  Copyright 1939.  Not really a book about the Yangtze Patrol or gunboats, it is interesting to me because of its connection to USS Panay.  The dustjacket states, "A true account of the friendship between the birds and the man and woman whom they followed for nearly 50,000 miles, even to the interior of China and back."  The man was Captain C.M. Holton, CO of USS Panay in 1935-1936. and the woman was his wife, the author of the book.

        I haven't been able to find much on the Yangtze Patrol published before 1937, though issues of United States Naval Institute Proceedings from the 1920s through early 1940s have some good first-hand accounts of duty in the gunboats.

        If your contact is looking for books about the Yangtze Patrol prior to 1937, but published after that date, there are a number of good books.

        Take care,

        Steve Bryson

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 26 10:31 AM
          If you are interested, the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of American, volume 69, number 5 (September-October 2008) had an article titled "It's Never Too Late: The Story of Purple Hearts for USS Panay". Besides covering the medal it gives a good run down of what action caused these medals to be awarded and gives a list of all the recipients (and other decorations awarded). Of course this happened December 12th, 1937 so may not be what you are looking for. I do know a book written by Tolley may also work for you.

          Bob Bergstrom

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 26 10:43 AM
            In a message dated 4/26/2009 1:31:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            pbybergstrom@... writes:

            Of course this happened December 12th, 1937 so may not be what you are
            looking for. I do know a book written by Tolley may also work for you.
            All suggestions will be passed on. Kemp Tolley's Yangtze Patrol is at the
            top of the list.
            ~~~~~~~~~
            R. L. Crossland
            CAPT USN (Ret.)
            _http://dreadnaughts-bluejackets.com_
            (http://dreadnaughts-bluejackets.com/)

            "'Old Navy' is a battlecry, not a brandname."

            "Whatever happens, we have got
            the Maxim gun, and they have not." - H. Belloc

            steps!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220814855x1201410739/aol?red
            ir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=A
            prilfooter426NO62)