Clemson destroyer steam plant

  • Stephen Greene
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2009
      Sorry folks,But i cant seem to find the reply i got regarding tech
      manuals for the clemson destroyer steam plant layout.I did find a
      complete thechnical manual for the steam operated air compressor
      however.Very interesting! well it is for me as i spent 10yrs in the
      enginerooms of navy ships.Very different from anything i worked on.And
      i may have found some material for the aft steering gear.I was
      wondering if there any parts or pieces in museums or anywhere from any
      clemson or wickes class destroyers? I've only actually seen one item
      and that is the 4'in deck gun from Peary DD226 in Darwin,I was present
      at the dedication ceremony in Darwin,Australia.And one of Peary's 4'in
      shells was presented to the C.O. of my ship uss robert e.peary
      ff1073.Aside from those 2 items,thats all i've seen.
    • Vic Campbell
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2009
        If you can find the old Asiatic sailor in Idaho (he had been mayor of
        a small town there) that I met at Asheville a few years back at their
        reunion it might help. They called him "bent stack" after the Java sea
        battle. It was not the John Ford - but one of the other dd's. They
        were laying smoke as much as they could and this "Bent Stack" in the
        engine-rooom was getting more orders for more smoke - "more smoke" and
        he kept opening up the fuel ports to get more smoke. Finally he gave
        up and resorted to breaking off the fuel nozzles with a hammer -
        bashing it inside the boiler. This got them LOTS of smoke and a flame
        about 5 or 10 feet high coming out of the stack. The stacks
        overheated and the base of one eventually weakened and the stack began
        tilting back more and more. These cans were eventually sent out of
        the battle since they ran out of torpedoes and were near empty on
        fuel. Of course their 5" deck guns were useless against the IJN
        cruisers on the other side of their smoke screen. These 4 cans
        survived. As you know nearly everything else was toast. Maybe
        Denver or one of the others will know the name. I did record his story
        on tape - but the second time around was not nearly as "free wheeling"
        as the first one that he told in a general meeting. GREAT STORY>

      • jimhathaway2000
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4, 2009
          I would try looking up "The Floating Drydock" on the web, and also the
          Maryland Silver Company- not sure if they have steam plant plans, but
          they would be a good place to start, both have a large number of
          drawings for sale-
          The other source I would try is a copy of the "Anatomy Of The Ship"
          issue on HMS Campbeltown. Amazon, or if it is OOP, try Bookfinder.com
        • robert owen
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4, 2009
            Go to ALIBRIS.com and buy the copy for $20 that is listed W/OUT the dust jacket. Use BOOGIE for the coupon code and save a buck. I've bought the other $20 copy just now.

            Robert

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 5, 2009
              Was he ever punished or was it accepted in the heat of battle? And was that the reason he got the sobriquet "Bent Stack?"

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5, 2009
                Don Kehn - Author of "A BLUE SEA OF BLOOD" (you should read this)
                SENDS this note on the power plants:
                I have official USN manuals for the ratings of Fireman and
                Machinist Mate in late 30's/ early 40s, both of which have tons of
                material on the operation of boilers, pumps, etc.
                Also I own a 1940s book on USN powerplants with even more stuff on how
                the systems worked, incl. boilers, turbines, reduction gear, pumps &
                more pumps, etc.

                The boilers on 4-pipers (and other DDs) definitely had specific
                burner nozzles for making funnel smoke. I have schematics & data on
                those as well.
              • Stephen Greene
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 5, 2009
                  WOW!! Thats what i'm after! that and some kind of basic diagram of how the boilers/main engines/turbines were placed in the hull of the clemson destoyers.Would it be possible to get a publisher name and title so i could have a starting point to get my own copies if they were available?

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 5, 2009
                    You might also find NAVAL MACHINERY 1941 by Naval Institute Press vey useful as it gives details on the various types of engineering machinery in use at that time.

                    Robert

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 5, 2009
                      My kids got me a copy of the book for christmas! I have alot of respect for what mr.Kehn has done for those men and their families by writing that book.I dont consider the book what i call 'mainstream history' and thats a good thing.Who needs ANOTHER book about the pacific war where the war starts at midway ends at Tokyo bay and appears to have been fought and won only by carriers,avengers and macarthur.Not to demean or belittle those battles and the men fought them but i'd guess there's hundreds of books about midway,coral sea,or leyte.I hope he has more books like A Blue Sea Of Blood in the works or has a hand in other stories that need to be told

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 6, 2009
                        This note is from Don Kehn - author of the excellent new book - "A
                        Blue Sea of Blood" ...

                        John Alden's classic work Flush Decks and Four Pipes (1965) has a good
                        drawing that shows the internal layouts of the flushdecker class
                        ships; so does Arnold Hague's excellent Destroyers For Great Britain
                        (about the 50 Lend Lease DDs); the best contemporary work describing
                        how to handle these ships was Holloway Frost's On A Destroyer's Bridge
                        (1930), which also has details on power runs, and the number of
                        burners & boilers required to make various speeds. (For example, a
                        reasonably well-kept CLEMSON could make 20 knots on two boilers, and
                        sometimes as much as 27 knots.)

                        I am including a scan from Hague's book. The boiler rooms were
                        (obviously) beneath the four stacks, with fore BR using the 2 forward
                        stacks, and the aft BR the after pair. The forward engine room
                        controlled the port screw, and the aft ER the starboard. The CLEMSON
                        class had very narrow hulls, as we all know, so I expect the machinery
                        spaces athwartships had pretty tight tolerances. That is, a lot of
                        powerful machinery crammed into a slight, thin shell.
                        (will try to post the scanned picture on this site - vic)
                      • Stephen Greene
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 6, 2009
                          Thank you for your help,I'm curious about the layout of engineering spaces compared to the knox class frigate i served on,that was some very tight confines as well,we only had 2 1200 psi boilers and one screw,It also got very hot down there especially in the indian ocean area.It was certainly hot at any given time operating in the south pacific or western pacific.we did pull into bali and passed thru alot of the same areas that the asiatic operated ,it is disgustingly hot in those areas.Again thanks for helping me out

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 29, 2009
                            --- In theusasiaticfleet@yahoogroups.com, "Vic Campbell" <vic@...> wrote:

                            > Don Kehn - Author of "A BLUE SEA OF BLOOD" (you should read this)
                            > SENDS this note on the power plants:
                            > I have official USN manuals for the ratings of Fireman and
                            > Machinist Mate in late 30's/ early 40s, both of which have tons of
                            > material on the operation of boilers, pumps, etc.
                            > Also I own a 1940s book on USN powerplants with even more stuff on how
                            > the systems worked, incl. boilers, turbines, reduction gear, pumps &
                            > more pumps, etc.
                            >
                            > The boilers on 4-pipers (and other DDs) definitely had specific
                            > burner nozzles for making funnel smoke. I have schematics & data on
                            > those as well.

                            Mr.Kehn,I have looked several places for the books you pointed out,Where did you get yours? Im guessing that it would be near impossible for me to find my own copies.I have started to build a small model of the uss peary steam plant and equipment,Im doing alot of guessing on where pieces need to go.Dallas widick who was a crew member gave me a little of what he remembered a few years back,He was a ship fitter for awhile and did work on various piping systems etc.At any rate any way you could point would be appreciated
                          • Luis Ramos
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 30, 2009
                              Did you do a google search using a keyword such as "USN power plant manuals?"

                              I found this web search. Hope this helps.

                              http://www.hnsa.org/doc/

                              Also try a google search using the keyword "USS PEary steam plant."

                              Do not type the quote marks...

                              Luis Ramos

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 31, 2009
                                I am SOOO numb! I dont know why it didnt occur to me
                                to use words as simple as those,I have been using any number of words but the simple ones lol!!Then i clicked on the address you sent with the email,An amazing amount of stuff! Somebody else gave me theat addy before but for some retarded reason i convinced myself that isnt what i was looking for.At any rate thanks for pointing that out,stephen Greene