Cavite Blue and Navy Gray

  • Vic1949FL
    Message 1 of 72 , Jun 1, 2001
      Adm Hart had them paint the ship's horizontal
      (decks gun mounts etc) surfaces cavite blue when the
      warnings were getting serious, before leaving cavite. He
      ordered a specific navy regulation color, but allowed for
      whatever was available at the time. Otto Schwarz
      (survivor) seems to think it was a darker shade of blue but
      his memory is not clear on that. This meant the white
      paint on the teakwood had to be painted over ... a real
      sad day for the BM's. Anyway, the vertical surfaces
      (ie the hull) remained navy gray. And, that's the way
      it is... I think.
    • scout1026
      Message 72 of 72 , Apr 3, 2002
        Excellent idea.

        I have posted your idea on two other popular forums
        history channel ww2 discussion board
        military.com ww2 board

        tom
        --- In theusasiaticfleet@y..., meeoowhouse1 wrote:
        > I am requesting the US Post Office to make a
        > stamp to commemorate the Asiatic Fleet. Please send
        > your letters and ideas to the below
        Postal