Re: [The US Asiatic Fleet] Asiatic Fleet Books & Articles

  • Jim Nix
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2008
      Robert,

      Thanks for the heads up. Thats what I thought, but
      wasn't sure, I have a different address for her.

      How are you and whats going on? I've been busy
      updating the next of kin database for the crew of the
      Edsall and have been getting a good deal of mail from
      researchers trying to track down some of these same
      relatives. For example the chief of the Snyder Fire
      Department, just outside of buffalo, is trying to get
      photos of John Leo Burgoyne for their memorial
      display.
      Mr. Burgoynes father was a fireman in that dept. for
      25 years and John Leo was also a fireman there before
      the war until 1938. I am trying to contact John Leo's
      son in the Philippines and have to use snail mail
      because his e-mail address seems dead.

      I've also written a program that graphically tracks
      the Edsalls last movements Feb 27 to Mar 1, 1942. It
      includes detailed replay of her engagement with the
      Japanese fleet and shows her very close proximity to
      the Pecos as the Pecos was sinking. It is about ready
      for disbribution, but we have to wait for Don Kehn's
      book to be released before we can distribute it. The
      book release has been set back a few more months so
      Don is trying to gather some more material to add to
      the work. We are hoping to get Senator McCain's
      support for it. (Our family lived in the same
      neighborhood as the McCains in the late sixties and my
      sister and I used to look after the younger McCain
      kids
      from time to time. My brother still communicates with
      Doug and Andy from time to time, this is the family by
      the first wife Carol).

      One question. Do you have any contact information
      for Wick Alford, he recently had a book published
      about his ship.

      Regards

      Jim Nix

    • rjocl12
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2008
        Glad to be of help, Jim.

        Gotta roll for work so sorry to be short on the reply but the program sounds fantastic and would be a nice CD-Rom addition to Mr Kehn's book and i look forward to seeing it when its up and released.

        As for Mr Alford, I have it and the book is titled PLAYING FOR TIME: War on an Asiatic Fleet Destroyer, and was published by Merriam Press of Bennington, VT.

        ISBN - 57638-337-7 (PB)
        ISBN - 57638-338-5 (HC)

        Web site merriam-press.com

        Editor: ray Merriam ray@...

        Catch you later,

        --- rjocl12 <RJOCL12@...> wrote:

        > LoL
        >
        > I believe its Kelly G. I saw her at the reunion two
        > weeks ago in Portland.
        >
        > Robert

      • Steven Bryson
        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2008
          Hello,

          I just received a letter today advising that the South China Yangtze Patrol Asiatic Fleet has been disbanded, as decided upon at the recent Portland Reunion in mid-April 2008.

          RE: your work to make a masterlist of books, articles, etc., relating to the Asiatic Fleet and South China Patrol (please don't leave out the Yangtze River Patrol), I will try to get together a list of what I have, and e-mail it to you.

          Take care,

          Steve Bryson

          meeoowhouse1 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          It has been a while since I have visited this site. A couple requests
          I would like to make:

          - The last, possibly, Combined Fleets, Asiatic Fleet & South China
          Yangtze Patrol (SCYPAF) reunion will be held in DC for 2009. Keep your
          calendar open. I will post details, if someone doesn't beat me to it :)

          - I am interested in what you have in your libraries regarding the
          Asiatic Fleet, and South China Yangtze Patrol:
          Books - Their titles and authors
          Articles - Name of Article, and authors (date & publication as well)
          Pictures - people, ships, etc.
          Websites for references, etc.

          I would like to compile a masterlist of as many documents as
          possible.

          You can email me directly at meowhouse@...

        • Vic Campbell
          Message 4 of 7 , May 7, 2008
            It is a sad time to see the old salts go. I got the letter too.

            I'll keep the blog up as long as I can... Contributors welcomed.
            If you want to be a direct contributor, let me know - I can add you to the
            admin list on the blogspot tools.There is also a link back to this group
            and other links can be added - just say so.

            Vic
            www.chinagunboat.blogspot.com

            Regards
            Vic Campbell