Re: Houston paint info & info about my uncle

  • clayramsey
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
      --- In theusasiaticfleet@yahoogroups.com, "gwardpullen" <gpullen@...>
      wrote:

      > My uncle Robert H. Pullen (aka "Sam") was an A.A. first loader on the
      > top deck of the Houston. As a POW, he aided the CO, Lt. Comdr. Harold
      > Hamlin, Jr., by leading exercises. He later died in the 100 kilo camp
      > on August 31, 1943. If anyone was a shipmate of his or knew about him,
      > I would appreciate any info.
      > I am building a 1/700 scale model of the Houston and want to paint her
      > as she was during her final battle. From what I can gather so far, she
      > was painted Cavite blue. I am told the decks were also painted, but I
      > don't know if they were the same color or not. I anyone can help me
      > with this...thank you in advance.

      Good morning - Don Kehn Jr (contact info ought to be on this site)
      would know for sure. IIRC, her decks were painted cavite blue as well.
    • Gary Pullen
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
        Clay, I rec'd an email from Don stating as such. He also sent a
        picture which I am going to use for my model. I am currently reading
        some of my uncle's letters he sent home while aboard. If I find
        anything of signifigance, I will post later. Thanks again, Gary.

        --- In theusasiaticfleet@yahoogroups.com, clayramsey <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In theusasiaticfleet@yahoogroups.com, "gwardpullen" <gpullen@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > My uncle Robert H. Pullen (aka "Sam") was an A.A. first loader on
        the
        > > top deck of the Houston. As a POW, he aided the CO, Lt. Comdr.
        Harold
        > > Hamlin, Jr., by leading exercises. He later died in the 100 kilo
        camp
        > > on August 31, 1943. If anyone was a shipmate of his or knew about
        him,
        > > I would appreciate any info.
        > > I am building a 1/700 scale model of the Houston and want to
        paint her
        > > as she was during her final battle. From what I can gather so
        far, she
        > > was painted Cavite blue. I am told the decks were also painted,
        but I
        > > don't know if they were the same color or not. I anyone can help
        me
        > > with this...thank you in advance.
        > >

        > Good morning - Don Kehn Jr (contact info ought to be on this site)
        > would know for sure. IIRC, her decks were painted cavite blue as
        well.

      • Vic Campbell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
          I interviewed a number of the survivors and of course at the time,
          Otto Schwarz was one of the most available to me since I live in NJ.
          It was Otto, I think, who told me about having to help paint the decks
          blue ... over that beautiful teak they had spent many a long day
          holy-stoning. It was a sad thought to all of them to have to cover up
          that deck ... but it was necessary to lessen the aerial profile. Sorry
          I did not make that note to you earlier... I was more thinking of the
          sides ... but i do think they were also cavite blue. The "cavite"
          blue was a result of some combination of blue and other paints
          available for the task before they departed Manila, several days or a
          week prior to the attack of Dec. 8.
        • Gary Pullen
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
            Thanks, Vic. As I look at all the photos online, it does look like the
            sides and everything else is the same color (Cavite blue). The upper
            portions appear to be white. (as per the Feb 1942 pic at Darwin). I can
            get the correct mix. I hope my model turns out since this is my first
            time at this adventure. Gary.

            --- In theusasiaticfleet@yahoogroups.com, "Vic Campbell" <vic@...>