the soochow medal

  • enideros
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
      Hello,

      I've posted another album--this time, it's from my collection of Old
      Shanghai items-it's a soochow creek medal of 1937

      When the Sino-Japanese war broke out in 1937, foreign military units
      were activated to protect the International Settlement. The Fourth
      marines had defensive sectors along Soochow Creek (Now suzhou creek)--
      much of the heavy fighting lay just beyond-- that made the creek a
      kind of protective moat. The postitions were sandbagged, and the
      marines fully armed, complete with helmets. Occasionally a stray
      bullet whizzed by, or a shell would land so near fountains of water
      would drench leathrnecks...pretty bad, since the water was brackish
      and polluted-talk about above and beyond he call of duty :)

      The fighting ended-at least for Shanghai-- in Nov, 37, and the war
      moved upriver. The marines and-yes, some navy personnel on hand, too-
      - wanted souvenirs of their bravery and forebearance-- and they got
      the Soochow Medal (actually a revival of a 1932 medal)--
      It was quite unofficial, but highly prized-- with a bit of tongue-in
      cheek humor so typical of the sea services. The medal shows a
      Chinese man pushing a honey wagon-- manure cart very common in those
      days. Even today, the older sections of shanghai don't have flush
      toilets-- a kind of chamber pot is-- and was-- used.
      Well these wagons would collect the nightsoil and ship it to plants
      just outside the city to process as fertilizer for crops. Now, in
      times of peace suoochow creek was a collection point, were the wagons
      would unload and transfer the "contents" to barges for shipment and
      processing. The design was created by a marine in 1932, oneG Whizz
      Wolfe. The medals were purchased at $2.00 apiece.
      Many times you could also get a certificate with the medal, which is
      also shown in the album-- another item in my collection.

      hopw all enjoy!
    • Donald Versaw
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
        Dear all,
        I don't remember seeing or even being interested in the Soochow Creek medal when I was on the Asiatic Station in Shanghai. I probably heard of it from the older timers. I saw one of them displayed at the Globe and Anchor, a bistro/cafe in Triangle VA a couple years ago. It was posted as the property or contribution of the late retired Captain Leo Rich USMC. Leo and I served together in St Louis in the late 1940's. I introduced him to my friend, Ethel Jane who became his wife. The Globe and Anchor is a spot not to be missed when traveling near Quantico, VA. It's as much a museum of Marine memorabilia as well as a place for good food and camaraderie

        Don Versaw

        enideros <enideros@...> wrote:

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links