"Faith Alone? - Part 2" by Joseph Y. Lee

  • josephylee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2009
      Faith Alone? - Part 2
      By Joseph Yosuk Lee

      Many Klu Klux Klan members claim to be Christians,
      and yet they refuse to repent. They have no sorrow
      for their sins. I still have no doubt that we are
      not saved by our own righteousness. (Titus 3:5)
      However, you need to show your works and your
      genuine desire to repent as proof for genuineness
      of your faith. (Galatians 5:6) The lack of such
      proof of one's genuine faith is called cheap grace.
      (James 2:26) 'Cheap grace' is very difficult to
      define, but we can use an analogy to better
      understand the concept. Let's suppose a woman get
      married, but she has an affair with another man.
      She does not have any sorrows for her sins and
      does not turn away from it. Like the woman above,
      all of us are spiritual fornicators. However, God's
      grace is 100% efficacious, and it is this grace that
      compels Christians to go back to Him and say, "Lord,
      I am a wretch. Please forgive me." Such confession
      is one of many proofs that we are Christians. (1
      John 1:8,9) Cheap grace cannot produce the sorrow
      of a wretched sinner. (Romans 7:15)

      So, am I saying that Faith and Works are needed to be
      saved? Am I also saying that we must live a perfect
      life in order to be saved? Not at all. Our works is
      tainted with sin, and nobody lived a perfect life.
      (Romans 3:23) Mankind is totally depraved. All of
      our mind, emotion, and will is tainted with sin. If
      we desire to be good, it is nothing but filthy rags
      to God. (Isaiah 64:6) Our prayer life and reading of
      the word is continually tainted with sin. We do not
      earn any merit when we are being justified and
      sanctified through our faith. Our faith in Jesus
      which produced our justification and sanctification
      is a gift from God. (Ephesians 2:8-10) Since our
      sanctification goes together with justification,
      those who claim to be justified must also show proof
      of their sanctification. They must show fruits that
      come from the vine of Jesus' saving grace and power.
      So if a person claims to be a Christian by believing
      he is justified of his sins and yet continues to sin-
      thus showing no proofs of his sanctification-we
      should question if he was justified in the first place.

      The correct formula in terms of our status is:

      Jesus (Faith) => Justification (Salvation) + Sanctification (Works)

      A closer analogy to the formula above is a chemistry formula
      of 2H2O => 2H2 + O2. You should avoid thinking like the
      2 + 2 = 4 formula.

      Biography of Joseph Y. Lee:

      University of Southern California
      Electrical Engineering, MS ‘04

      University of California, Irvine
      Materials Science and Engineering, MS ‘97

      University of California, Berkeley
      Physics and Math, BA ‘94

      He is currently working at Samsung Electro-Mechanics
      as a senior engineer working on package process, design,
      and layout since January 2005. He has authored and
      co-authored 7 papers and 4 patents. His hobbies
      include areas like the violin, piano, photography,
      computer repair, reading, and mountain climbing. In
      high school, he won honorable mention in Knoxville
      Youth Symphony Dogwood Arts Festival violin concerto
      contest and 1st place in the Oak Ridge Symphony
      Orchestra violin concerto contest with his younger
      brother Richard as his duet partner.

      Copyright - CHEMISTRY (CHristian E-mail MIniSTRY)
      E-mail: _JosephYLee@..._ (mailto:JosephYLee@...) , Website:
      _http://www.josephylee.org_ (http://www.josephylee.org/)

      web. Get the Radio Toolbar!