New Member

  • volkan unsal
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2003
      Hello All,

      I am a new member of your group. I am actually very
      ill-informed about the writings of Khalil Gibran, but
      for all i know of the person he might be my greatest
      inspiration. Like me, he's a Middle Eastern artists in
      America. Like I had to struggle to find out where I
      stand in this world and struggle with the influence of
      religion in my life, he had to struggle through his
      own religiosity before resolving his crissi in a most
      beautiful way in the book "The Prophet."

      What interests me most about him is the way he has
      established the neither-here-nor-there identity of the
      migrant and refugee artists coming of age in a foreign
      country, who struggle in our age of easy passage among
      continents to form their identity with their feet kept
      apart in different continents. It's very significant
      that Gibran was an atheist who wrote a spiritual book
      and also claim to belong to either America and to
      Lebanon, his home country. For, as I believe, as does
      Naomi Shihab Nye, my favorite contemporary poet, "Love
      is living in two countries." I desire to find out in
      this group whether such a thing has been made
      possible.

      I wish to get in touch with people who have
      experiences of growing up between two worlds, as it
      were, who might be in tune with the spirit i hold
      dear, which Khalil Gibran held dear as well.

      Many Many Thanks

      Volkan Unsal

      with their roots and return to their homelands every
      so often.

      http://search.yahoo.com