Creeping Gibsonia

  • television_sky
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2005
      check out the sig line on ykh's message here:
      http://boards.core77.com/viewtopic.php?t=2773&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
      OK? and the reference is... ?

      we've had a few new members recently. let's get some talk going here
      again so they don't think they've wasted their time.

      television sky
    • M. Houmann
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2005
        Okay...

        I'll give it a whirl...

        What exactly 'happens' during the last chaper of Pattern Recognition? It
        seems like a happy end, but what about the footage? What about the
        sisters? What about Volkov? It feels like there's a lot going on behind
        the scenes (as always when dealing with Gibson), but could we explain to
        ourselves the implications of all the clues we are given in the emails
        and such during that last chapter? Does Bigend go on to conquer Russia
        og is it the other way round? Is Cayce cured of her illness (and thus
        her ability to 'trendspot' as effectively as she can)?

        Shoot people...

        /Silent Twin

        PS: And oh.. 'Charlie Don't Surf' is most likely something Gibson picked
        up himself somewhere, stored in the back of his complex/complicated mind
        for a few months until it suddenly spilled out onto the page - like the
        gratuitous move he's so fond of. But it's fun to makes these connections
        - I honestly think avid Gibson-readers have been infected with
        apophenia... I know I've been seeing things in his fiction, where there
        probably isn't any.

        check out the sig line on ykh's message here:
        http://boards.core77.com/viewtopic.php?t=2773&postdays=0&postorder=asc&s
        tart=15
        OK? and the reference is... ?

        we've had a few new members recently. let's get some talk going here
        again so they don't think they've wasted their time.

        television sky

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • David Lowe
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10, 2005
          "Charlie don't surf" is a line from Apocalypse Now that later the Clash did something with. What's the Gibson reference?

          David

          ________________________________

          check out the sig line on ykh's message here:
          http://boards.core77.com/viewtopic.php?t=2773&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
          OK? and the reference is... ?

          we've had a few new members recently. let's get some talk going here
          again so they don't think they've wasted their time.

          television sky

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          document.write(' <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129cn50o2/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705198328:HM/EXP=1108126747/A=2532114/R=1/SIG=12kd8d21t/*http://clk.atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1108040347098999> ');
          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129cn50o2/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705198328:HM/EXP=1108126747/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12kd8d21t/*http://clk.atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1108040347098999>
          Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2532114/rand=649247822

        • M. Houmann
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 10, 2005
            AHA! So that's where it's from.. I'll bet anything that Gibson has it from
            The Clash (his fondness of punk/rock-music in mind...) But then again, the
            description of it, could easily an homage to Apocalypse Now. The Gibson
            reference is from Pattern Recognition probably near page 14. It's a
            restaurant - "the food California-inflected Vietnamese fusion with more
            than the usual leavening of colonial frenchness. The white walls are
            decorated with enormous prints of close-up black-and-white photographs of
            'Nam-era Zippo lighters, engraved with crudely drawn American military
            symbols, still cruder sexual motifs, and stenciled slogans..."

            And there's more.. :-) Gibson is the only one I know, that could create an
            Apocalypse Now-inspired restaurant..

            /Michael

[...]

            ribe>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .