Online book on Gibson

  • wgb_research
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 16, 2004
      I'm not sure if you're already familiar with this, but there's an
      entire book on Gibson available for free online. It's written by a
      guy named Lance Olsen in 1992, and it discusses at least Burning
      Chrome, Neuromancer, Count Zero and Mona Lisa OD.

      Check it out here: http://www.cafezeitgeist.com/gibson.html

      Good reading!
    • television_sky
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 16, 2004
        thank you for that, but yes, it is fairly well known. you can read
        lots of gobson articles and interviews at
        http://www.angelfire.com/ia/televisionsky/gibson.html

        television sky

        --- In thesprawlofwilliamgibson@yahoogroups.com, "wgb_research"
        <wgb_research@y...> wrote:
        > I'm not sure if you're already familiar with this, but there's an
        > entire book on Gibson available for free online. It's written by a
        > guy named Lance Olsen in 1992, and it discusses at least Burning
        > Chrome, Neuromancer, Count Zero and Mona Lisa OD.
        >
        > Check it out here: http://www.cafezeitgeist.com/gibson.html
        >
        > Good reading!
      • Joby Jull
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 16, 2004
          I was not aware of that, thank you.

          bytheway, Is there any way to tell if i am getting all the messages on this?
          these are the only wo messages i ahve gotten in weeks
        • Petrol
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 17, 2004
            List is pretty quiet these days.

            Joby Jull wrote:
            > I was not aware of that, thank you.
            >
            > bytheway, Is there any way to tell if i am getting all the messages on this?
            > these are the only wo messages i ahve gotten in weeks
          • Matt Mooney
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 19, 2004
              I don't think there are many messages happening. But here's something
              random...

              I would describe the band Pitchshifter's music as cyber-punk.

              --- Joby Jull <joby@...> wrote:
              > I was not aware of that, thank you.
              >
              > bytheway, Is there any way to tell if i am getting all the messages
              > on this?
              > these are the only wo messages i ahve gotten in weeks

              =====
              --Matt Mooney

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • shawn douglas
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 19, 2004
                Where can I get a sample of pitchshifter's music?

                -SJD

                --- Joby Jull <joby@...> wrote:
                > I was not aware of that, thank you.
                >
                > bytheway, Is there any way to tell if i am getting all the messages
                > on this?
                > these are the only wo messages i ahve gotten in weeks

                =====
                --Matt Mooney

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Tanney, Austin
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 20, 2004
                  Dunno about defining it as cyberpunk but they are an excellent band nonetheless.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 20, 2004
                    heh, funny you should ask, the one album of theirs I have entitled
                    "www.pitchshifter.com" features a track called "free samples" which is
                    actually nothing more than a collection of sounds for amature dj's to
                    sample and mix with :-P

                    where to get some of their music? well a lot of music is sold in
                    stores. sometimes it can be borrowed from the library or listened to
                    over the internet. the internet has handy search engines which will
                    point you in the right direction for anything you are interested in.

                    =====

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 20, 2004
                      I may be way outta line trying to provoke a conversation on this board
                      :-P but why wouldn't you call them cyberpunk? i would call them
                      cyberpunk because they are an angry ranting raw sounding band singing
                      about social issues (punk) infused with electronic sounds from the
                      fore-front of musical technology (cyber).

                      --- "Tanney, Austin" <Austin.Tanney@...> wrote:
                      > Dunno about defining it as cyberpunk but they are an excellent band
                      > nonetheless.

                      =====
                      --Matt Mooney

                    • Tanney, Austin
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 21, 2004
                        Personally I just don't like the application of the prefix "cyber" to music. Its definitely punk and its got electronic influences but I just wouldn't personally use the prefix "cyber". Just a personal thing, as a producer.

                        Austin

                      • Stratos
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 21, 2004
                          And as a producer... I use the prefix "cyber" to definte my personal style of music.

                          To each his/ her own!

                          - Stratos

                          Personally I just don't like the application of the prefix "cyber" to music. Its definitely punk and its got electronic influences but I just wouldn't personally use the prefix "cyber". Just a personal thing, as a producer.

                          Austin

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Matt Mooney
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 21, 2004
                            why is the term "cyber" exclusive from music in your proffessional
                            opinion?

                          • Joel Zimba
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 21, 2004
                              Hi,

                              I'm rather new around here, in fact, I wasn't sure this list was still
                              active.

                              I've posted this question on the forum accessed from the Gibson blog
                              with little success. I hope this is a welcome topic.

                              In All Tomorrow's Parties, the Taoist mentions the exercise and the
                              martial art he learned in Argentina. I'm not quoting directly, but it's
                              implied the art is lost or is shrouded in myth.

                              I'm wondering if there might be some historical basis to this, or if
                              it's simply cooked up by Gibson.

                              Capoira which is of course Brazillian, is far too new to be a candidate,
                              but perhaps all the knife fondness would be a clue?

                              Anyone out there with ideas? Feel free to let me know.

                              Thanks,

                              Joel
                            • Sebastian H
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 21, 2004
                                Hi Joel

                                I´m from Argentina. So about the mysterious martial
                                art... ;)

                                Gibson wrote:

                                "is teacher that day the master of a school of
                                Argentine knife-fighting most authoritatively declared
                                nonexistent by responsible scholars of the martial
                                arts."

                                I practice martial arts since i was 9 years old (now
                                i´m 24), and i don´t know any argentine martial arts,
                                just Chai Do Kuang, a kung fu/sipalki mix is really
                                new, and too few people practice it.

                                Sebastian

                              • Joel Zimba
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 21, 2004
                                  I'm thinking maybe some dating back to the ummm is it Gaochos? Is that
                                  the right word?

                                  Or more likely the ... For lack of right word... "Indians" you know in
                                  the

                                  Rain forests ...

                                  He doesn't usually just dream stuff up like that, so I'm surprised to be
                                  so stumped.

                                  Gibson wrote:

                                  "is teacher that day the master of a school of
                                  Argentine knife-fighting most authoritatively declared nonexistent by
                                  responsible scholars of the martial arts."

                                  I practice martial arts since i was 9 years old (now
                                  i´m 24), and i don´t know any argentine martial arts,
                                  just Chai Do Kuang, a kung fu/sipalki mix is really
                                  new, and too few people practice it.

                                  Sebastian

                                  ---
                                  Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
                                • Joby Jull
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 21, 2004
                                    preahps it has to do with the movement of todays cultures into difernt
                                    regons?

                                    just throwing it out there.
                                  • Sebastian H
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 22, 2004
                                      > I'm thinking maybe some dating back to the ummm is
                                      > it Gaochos? Is that
                                      > the right word

                                      Is "Gaucho", yes, they used knives to fight, as the
                                      "malevos".
                                      The Gauchos lived in the country, and used knives but
                                      they had no special techniques.
                                      The malevos were some assholes in the bars looking for
                                      trouble just for fun, and they fought with knives too,
                                      but again, no special technique.
                                      They used knives just because they hadn´t guns.

                                      > Or more likely the ... For lack of right word...
                                      > "Indians" you know in
                                      > the
                                      >
                                      > Rain forests ...

                                      The indians in argentina were all peacefull

                                      > He doesn't usually just dream stuff up like that, so
                                      > I'm surprised to be
                                      > so stumped.

                                      I think is irrelevant, you know is just a word in all
                                      the book.

                                      Sebastian

                                    • Petrol
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 27, 2004
                                        PR, page 262 (original hardcover edition)

                                        Getting exciting now. Does anyone remember their favorite moments in the
                                        book? I have held off on reading this latest work, for some strange
                                        personal reason.

                                        I avoided the pre-sales hype. Thinking, knowing, that the experience
                                        would be tainted by whatever well-meaning (or otherwise) press the New
                                        York Times had in the pipe. Oh, the newest materpiece from the father of
                                        cyberpunk! They would say. Noone loves the hype.

                                        I will read this book at least twice more in the next three months. It
                                        reminds me very strongly of N. And Idoru as well. It is always the hunt,
                                        the winding way that characterises the grail quest.

                                        The list is quiet, this is my pebble in the pond.

                                        Pet.
                                      • Petrol
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 1, 2004
                                          PR the movie? And tangential discussion.
                                          http://www.livejournal.com/users/dragonflychey/618808.html
                                        • James duffy
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 2, 2004
                                            --- Petrol <foogu@...> wrote:
                                            i would love to reply cause i like the way you write,
                                            but i have no idea what your talking about. please
                                            respond.