help needed

  • taz_zat2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
      hi group,

      i need help with the following query.

      am doing a paper on how the novel neuromancer relates to social
      issues in computing today. any ideas would be great. am reading the
      book for the third time to try and dig more into it. but if you guys
      could throw some ideas at me it would be a lot of help.

      thanks.
    • gomi_otaku
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
        Well, Case seemed to have this problem with time- he would stumble
        into the Gentleman Loser, and lots of things would have changed since
        the last time he was there- the hookers would be different, not
        recognized; his relationship with "friends" would be nearly
        nonexistent, his business relationships would be usntable. I seem to
        notice that even "casual" programmers seem to have no ability to
        interact with people on a social level. I'm in a basic computer art
        class that deals with Photoshop, flash, etc and I'd have to say that
        dealing with the nerds in there makes me not want anything to do with
        computer art other than maybe watching Strong Bad read his e-mail.
        Talk about socially inept, and girls are the worst.
        gomi_
        --- In thesprawlofwilliamgibson@yahoogroups.com, "taz_zat2002"
        <taz_zat2002@y...> wrote:
        > hi group,
        >
        > i need help with the following query.
        >
        > am doing a paper on how the novel neuromancer relates to social
        > issues in computing today. any ideas would be great. am reading the
        > book for the third time to try and dig more into it. but if you
        guys
        > could throw some ideas at me it would be a lot of help.
        >
        > thanks.
      • hypernode1
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
          One could look at the mythology of the hacker/cracker as it has been
          built up by the media; how much of the fear generated by the media
          over computing issues are based on fact and how much is related to
          the dreams and speculations of "cyber-punk". (of which "Neromancer"
          is king) You might also consider the "unreality" of computers as used
          in film.