Here's the Skinny on the Japanese Johhny Mnemonic

  • statik001
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
      I noticed that there isn't much info at all about the japanese
      release of johnny mnemonic. the one with extra footage, different
      soundtrack, and different editing.

      Well I coughed up $60 and ordered the dvd from amazon.co.jp

      Wow. Much better version. First off. The soundtrack is quite
      different, and feels more dirty, rock than the sub-par sci-fi synth
      soundtrack of the american version. The soundtrack changes the
      whole mood of the movie, and this is a good thing. It just feels
      right. More like, well as longo described it, a "$2 million...giant
      student film."

      Now on to the differnt scenes:

      We get a slightly extended scene with Johnny and the hooker at the
      beginning. Just like an extra 10 seconds worth as she looks around
      the room at the various stuff lying around. More spacing between
      some of her lines too, which sounds more natural.

      When Johhny crosses the crowd of protestors, the shot is slightly
      extended, allowing more of a view of the chaos

      There is a scene added in the hotel, just after the fishbowl, where
      johnny meets with with some guy to get the memory doubler. the guy
      informs johnny that he could only get the crappy one, not the
      deluxe, and johnny is dissapointed as hell by it. funny to hear
      johnny talk in chinese here...

      a scene with takashi sitting in his daughter's room in a pile of her
      plush toys, watching a hologram of her play in front of him. then
      he gets interrupted and goes on to the first meeting with shinji
      (note that since this is the japanese version, there are no english
      subtitles for them talking. gah!)

      funny dialog added after the "NOT ON THE HEAD!" scene in the club
      bathroom. the body gaurd that had just slammed johnny against the
      stall wall says "haven't been in one of these for awhile..." nice
      allusion to the whole sex change thing.

      extended dialog (and slightly different if memory serves) between
      johnny and jane in the sewer/subway/whatever-it-is after johnny
      wakes up from his bad trip

      extended dialog between jonny and jane in the scene where he steals
      her phone card.

      scene with the streat preacher in his church preaching about
      being "reborn, transhuman" and disrobing to show off his 'upgrades',
      in the background Takashi's guys arrive with the liquid nitorgen
      container for johnny's head, street preacher notices this and ends
      the sermon. most of the people in the church seem to be suffering
      from NAS.

      (for that matter, the street preacher's lines are a little different
      now and again. he yells something else as he charges into the
      clinic, etc...)

      After the scene with Takashi showing off his tattoo to the camera,
      he confronts Shinji and two of his kobun(spelling? anyway, it seems
      to roughly mean trusted henchmen or something) he brought with.
      Takashi kills the two with a sword and repremands shinji for making
      them his kobun without permission. as he wipes the blood off his
      sword on on of their jakets, he comments (in disgust/jest) on their
      Kanji tattoos not being written properly.

      there is an extention to the scene where shinji and his people storm
      heaven. he instructs the rocket launcher person not to fire until
      instructed too. and the scenes of fighting inside of heaven are
      extended to include more things. the lines by the guy who 'drops a
      bug on spider' are extended a bit.

      the whole sequences of hacking johnny's brain are edited
      differently. hard to explain. its more confusing. quite differnt,
      and the context of events changed around quite a bit. the whole
      mind doubling thing was differnt too. he doubled himself, and the
      double BEATS the virus, proceds to 'loop' the third image. for some
      reason, looping the third image kills him. but fortunately there is
      the double. and the whole thing with the "paper" tearing open as
      childhood memories come out is gone (the peper still tares, but i
      don't remember what if anything comes out.)

      thats about it. i am sure i missed a thing or two. but all and
      all, it makes the movie a little bit more full. it doesn't cure the
      parts that are bad acting, but it makes the movie feel more natural.
    • martin mazzocco
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
        I guess my issues with that movie stem from the fact
        that it bears almost no resemblance to the actual
        short story (kind of like Heinlen's Starship
        Troopers). Where was Molly? Why wasn't she in the
        movie? I was just disappointed by the movie on all
        counts.
        The actual story Gibson wote was great. It's a great
        precursor to Neuromancer.

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • statik001
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 15, 2003
          Here is a slightly more accurate and detailed account of the
          differences in the Japanese version of JM. Just watched the movie
          over again looking for as many differences as possible, and wrote
          down as much new dialog as possible as well.

          WITHOUT FURTHER ADO...

          First off, the opening is different. We get the whole text
          scrolling down the screen, but there is not that stupid looking
          laser lines behind it, it is just white scrolling text. Looks much
          better. Plus, there are no opening cast credits until the scene
          with Johnny crossing over the protesters.

          We get a slightly extended scene with Johnny and the hooker at the
          beginning. Just like an extra 10 seconds worth as she looks around
          the room at the various stuff lying around. This also appears to be
          a different take of her saying her lines, as the voice inflection is
          quite different. This time around she sounds a bit more natural.
          Also, in the US version she says, "Johnny?" and he says, "Yeah?" and
          she replies, "nothing." from off camera (obviously dubbed in). In
          the Japanese version she says "Johnny? <pause> where you going this
          time?", Johnny says "I travel. It's how I make my living, data
          storage, remember?"

          When Johnny crosses the crowd of protestors, the shot is slightly
          extended, allowing more of a view of the chaos. Before he walks into
          the hotel, we get to watch the news show that he stands in front of
          longer, as they talk about protests against NAS legislation.

          There is a scene added in the hotel, just after he looks at the twins
          through the fishbowl. In this scene, Johnny meets with with some guy
          to get the memory doubler. The guy informs Johnny that he could not
          get the double Johnny wanted, only a crappy knock off. Johnny is
          disappointed by it and says "Not even close." in English. Funny to
          hear Johnny talk in Mandarin (According to script) here...

          A scene with Takahashi sitting in his daughter's room in a pile of
          her plush toys, watching a hologram of her playing with dolls. Then
          he gets interrupted and goes on to the first meeting with Shinji.
          Note that since this is the Japanese version, there are no English
          subtitles for them talking. Kinda screws things up...). After Shinji
          leaves, Takahashi goes to turn on his little terminal, and is
          greeted by one of J-Bone's pirate broadcasts.

          New scene where Takahashi is watching a video of his dead daughter
          and the woman's face pops on and talks to him. In this version she
          says "How sad. So very sad Mr. Takahashi. The loss of a child. Where
          I am Takahashi, there is only memory. Memory of the play of
          conscience. An endless reckoning of the score. But I see you there, I
          know you. Your purpose is lost. At the very core of all your power;
          there's only an emptiness, hollowness, carved in the shape of the
          absent child". Upon seeing her start talking, he looks visibly
          shaken, and promptly reaches into his pocket and starts popping some
          pills...

          Funny dialog added after the "NOT ON THE HEAD!" scene in the club
          bathroom. The body guard that had just slammed Johnny against the
          stall wall says "You know I haven't been in one of these in
          years..." Nice allusion to the whole sex change thing.

          After the scene with Takahashi showing off his tattoo to the camera,
          he confronts Shinji and two of his kobun (anyway, it seems to
          roughly mean trusted henchmen) he brought with. Takashi kills the
          two with a sword and reprimands Shinji for making them his kobun
          without permission. as he wipes the blood off his sword on on of
          their jackets, he comments (in disgust/jest) on their Kanji tattoos
          not being written properly. The only part in English is when
          Takahashi says "Twice you tried to capture the courier. Twice you
          have failed...and you didn't inform me. Don't let that happen again.
          Locate him. Inform me. I will supervise his capture. Understood?"

          Slightly different and extended dialog between Johnny and Jane in the
          sewer/subway/whatever-it-is after Johnny wakes up from his bad trip
          and she is putting away her stuff. She names off certain things as
          she puts them away, but the list is different. And she refers to her
          grenade as a 'Beer Opener".

          In the scene where she throws the grenade while in the computer
          shop, her line as she throws it is changed to, "Just a beer
          opener..."

          Scene with the street preacher in his church preaching to a rows of
          people twitching from NAS and looking generally bad-ff. He says, "I
          too was stricken by the sickness that devours the silver pathways of
          the soul. But the lord came to me and I was HEALED and made POST-
          HUMAN! The darkness lays upon you know, but I am come...to lead you
          into the light." At this point, he disrobes, showing off
          his "upgrades", little metal bumps all over his skin. In the
          background, he notices, Takahashi's men arrive with the liquid
          nitrogen container for Johnny's head. He then says, "My children, I
          sense a need for meditation, I must leave you now. The sermon is
          over."

          In the scene in which the street preacher breaks into the doctor's
          office when Spider is checking Johnny's implants out, he yells
          something that I can't understand before yelling "The cure is mine!"

          There is an extension to the scene where Shinji and his people storm
          heaven. Extra scenes of them suiting up and whatnot. He instructs
          the rocket launcher person to only launch if they lose the element of
          surprise. Also the scenes of fighting inside of heaven are extended
          to include more things. The lines by the guy who 'drops a bug on
          spider' are extended a bit.

          After Johnny has been introduced to Jones and calls him a fish, and
          gets 'corrected' (by the EMP attack), J-Bone says, "Not only is he a
          mammal, but he's a junkie," and he gives him a big injection of
          something, "navy got him all addicted to this to make him work for
          them. I just give it to him to so he thinks he's still swimmin."

          While the street preacher is pinning Jane against the wall he
          says "Jesus is waiting.". As he fight with Johnny he says "God's
          holy cure must come to me, I am his servant." And as Johnny starts
          to lose the fight, he says, "The cure, the holiest of communions,
          and when I hold God's cure I envy God." There is no 'wave' effect
          as the EMP weapon is shooting at the Street Preacher.

          Right before Johnny hacks his brain, J-Bone explains what needs to
          happen. He says, "One problem, if we do it the easy way, we get
          garbage because of the seepage. Now if I loop it through Jones, it
          will save the cure...it will probably kill you." Johnny waits a
          moment and then chooses, "loop it".

          The whole sequence of hacking Johnny's brain is edited differently.
          Hard to explain. Its more confusing. Quite different, and the
          context of events changed around quite a bit. You see him ride in on
          the underside of the first image. You hear the computer
          say, "Intruder alert, intruder alert. Unauthorized interface
          attempt," and then "Lethal neural feedback now in effect." The
          computer than says, in a more civilized, human voice, "Final
          warning, do not attempt interface." Johnny does his Zen, mind
          doubling thing. The virus then starts to attack Johnny, but he is
          able to dodge most of the attacks, and withstand the few that hit
          him. Jones' avatar comes sweeping in. He reaches into the virus
          shooting thing, and pulls out the blurry image. He says, "loop it."
          He smashes the image into his head, and as he does this, his body
          falls apart and shatters as the computer voice repeats, "Code
          Accepted. Code Accepted," and the download starts. Cue really cheesy
          music as the download commences in pretty much the same way as it
          does in the US version. After the download is complete, Johnny
          slips out of the chair, seemingly dead. There is no restoration of
          his childhood memories as there is in the US version. He then wakes
          up.

          --- In thesprawlofwilliamgibson@yahoogroups.com, statik001