Case is an a$$hole

  • gomi_otaku
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 5:04 PM
      My take on Case is just that he is a real a-hole. He only thinks
      about himself, and feels sorry for himself, even though he is the one
      who f*cked the situation up for himself. Just like the main
      character in the short story "Dogfight"....you really hate him in the
      end, because he has no morals, no scruples, and no respect...but
      that's what it takes to get ahead- it's corporate management
      mentality applied to the individual. Despite the character, you feel
      drawn in, you really feel compelled to see where this story is going,
      and even though the character does things you might not do (because
      you are a sorry weakling who can't take advantage of others) you find
      yourself hoping he succeeds. Amazingly, there are people who latch
      onto Case, for various reasons. Linda Lee, for her next hit, even
      though Case is the one who gave her the addiction. Others see in him
      his single-minded drive and hope to utilize that, fueled by greed, to
      achieve their own ends. And finally, maybe there are some who really
      hope he will get his head out of his ass and learn to care about
      others- Molly, even though she is a "hired gun", seems to have some
      knowledge on how the world works, and that it's easier to be boosted
      up by your contacts than try to climb up on the shoulders of your
      conquests.
      gomi_
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2 8:35 AM
        Your right Case is an a-hole! He knows it and hates himself for it.
        I believe that is one of the major lines in the story. He's a jerk
        screws anybody he can. Discovers he's a jerk and finds who it is he
        hates. Himself. And because of that is able to acheive his goal in
        the end. It's kind of an eppifiny he has and becomes a better person
        because of it. Or atleast we can imagine.

        Slappy

        Neon skyscrapers
      • Todd Jarrard
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2 9:23 AM
          I don't know that Case is any more of an asshole than
          anyone of a certain age (mid to late teens, early twenties).
          And yes, he hates himself for it.

          How old was WG when he wrote Neuromancer?

          TJ
          On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 11:35 AM, Chris wrote:

          > Your right Case is an a-hole! He knows it and hates himself for it.
          > I believe that is one of the major lines in the story. He's a jerk
          > screws anybody he can. Discovers he's a jerk and finds who it is he
          > hates. Himself. And because of that is able to acheive his goal in
          > the end. It's kind of an eppifiny he has and becomes a better person
          > because of it. Or atleast we can imagine.
          >
          > Slappy
          >
          > Neon skyscrapers

          > Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US &
          > Canada. Low prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson,
          > Lexmark & more.
          > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/4L0olB/TM

        • Todd Jarrard