Re:Re: [The Sprawl of William Gibson] ...

  • thorsten Sideb0ard
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2003
      > Last thing I remember Stephenson putting out was 'Cryptonomicon' which
      > was, like Gibson's most recent book, set in the present day. But, unlike
      > Gibson's book, I really did not like Stephenson's most recent all that
      > much. Especially not compared to such great work as 'The Diamond Age'
      > and the classic 'Snow Crash'.

      Theres a new one listed on Amazon, not released till Oct of this year -
      Quicksilver : Volume One of The Baroque Cycle
      by Neal Stephenson (Author) (Hardcover - October 2003)

      Snow Crash was awesome, and very humorous i thought in comparison to
      Gibsons work which always read as a lot more dark. As for Cryptonomicon, i
      thought that was a genius work, that i really didn't want to finish
      reading.

      -thor
    • gomi_otaku
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
        Especially not compared to such great work as 'The Diamond Age' and
        the classic 'Snow Crash'.

        So it *was* Stephenson that wrote "The Diamond Age". God. I bought
        this book after cross-referencing some authors' names from the
        Mirrorshades compilation. It was a struggle to complete it, I
        managed to make it through by insisting to myself that all of the
        notes and corrections that I was scrawling in the margins would be
        read by the author when I mailed the piece of shit to him.
        What kind of idiot goes to all the trouble to create a character for
        the first three chapters, only to suddenly kill him off and make him
        totally unimportant to the rest of the book, except as a genetic
        contribution to the birth of a child?
        And what's with suddenly running out of plot halfway through, and
        descending into some crap sexual bullshit?
        And then after being missing for twenty years, his daughter
        recognizes his vehicle (a mechanized horse?) when he comes home?
        The guy, despite any fame and notoriety he may have in cyberpunk
        circles, is a hack.
        gomi_
      • thorsten Sideb0ard
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2003
          > So it *was* Stephenson that wrote "The Diamond Age". God. I bought
          > this book after cross-referencing some authors' names from the
          > Mirrorshades compilation. It was a struggle to complete it, I

          Yeah, even though i like Stephenson, i had a hard time finishing The
          Diamond Age - It was so long winded and micro-detailed to the point the
          plot moved so slowly, and even when it seemed like the story had
          concluded, it still went on for over a hundred pages tying up loose ends
          that i couldn't have cared less about.

          I'm sorry, i think i started this Stephenson thread, and feel guilty
          i've taken the list way off-topic!

          I know this list is called the 'Sprawl of..' but is it off-topic to speak
          about the Bridge trilogy? I'd actually like to go back and read those
          three books consecutively, as when i did read them, they were all years
          apart. I loved the idea of the bridge being taken over. I lived on Bryant
          street in SF for a couple of years, the street that leads up to the Bay
          Bridge, at the time when i was reading All Tommorows Parties, and it just
          added to the visualisation of it.

          -thor