[The Sprawl of William Gibson] Re: Neuromancer

  • gomi_otaku
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 1 7:03 PM
      what I think is funny/strange, given the time that neuromancer was
      written, is the significance of change in the real world since then.
      Think of the first line "The sky was the color of television, tuned
      to a dead channel". Now, in 1984, that would have been grey and
      static-y, representing pollution, industrialization, and a bleak
      future. Now, however, a dead channel is represented by a brilliant
      blue screen on most newer TVs. Would this simply be an anomoly, or
      would it change the whole meaning of the story to some young kid who
      is reading it for the first time (or watching the words print across
      the screen as the movie begins) Does that blue sky represent some
      kind of atmospheric engineering, giving the future beautiful weather
      all the time (the government decides what you want, and hey, no more
      seasonal drpression for office workers!) Scary...
      gomi_
    • Michael Foord
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 3 12:22 AM
        lol - sounds more akin to brave new world than neuromancer........

        --
        Michael Foord
        Sales Daventry Depot

        ---

        Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow talent
        to the dark place where it leads. -Erica Jong
        Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
        -Milan Kundera

        -----

        This email is confidential & intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views presented are solely those of the author & do not necessarily represent those of Towcester Building Supplies.
        If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error & that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
        Any files attached to this email will have been checked with virus software before transmission. However, you should carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment.
        Towcester Building Supplies accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by software viruses.