some tech

  • gomi_otaku
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2002
      I was talking future tech with a guy at work today who had never read
      any Gibson (and of course I recomended it)

      I like the idea of E-books, but scrolling down a page on a Palm or on
      a laptop or even desktop is not too conducive to reading. I was
      thinking, wouldn't it be cool to have an actual "book" that folds
      open, with screens on both sides, like the opposing pages of a
      book...and perhaps, even include some graphics capability, so perhaps
      you touch a sensor on the bottom or top edge of the "page", and there
      is an image as of a page turning....(I am obsessed with
      the "Sandbenders" ideas)

      How about rear-view mirrors on car doors? I was thinking, an air
      ionizer built inside each door could polarize the air particles
      directly outside the windows, causing an effect similar to that seen
      with a mirage or "heat reflection"- a mirror made out of air ions,
      that won't be knocked off on narrow streets!
      gomi_
    • sennover
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2002
        Well, what I don't like about e-books is the screen itself. I meen
        when I read a book, I take it everywhere, I always have it in my
        pocket, on the beach, in camping, at the U, and everything.... and
        an ebook must be read on a screen, meaning Laptop, PDA.... wich are
        fragile, and so I would'nt dare to take it *everywhere*. Plus I
        don't like reading on screens, I prefer much more reading on parper,
        easier for the eyes.

        No I don't think I'll ever be an avid e-book fan.

        BTW, did you know that since the start of the computers, people
        have been consuming more paper than before, because they print
        everything since it's easier to read.

        So I don't think e-book will ever be that popular.

        Plus you can see that when som e-book work really well, they usualy
        print them in hard\soft covers, cause people always prefer books I
        guess.
      • television_sky
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2002
          --- In thesprawlofwilliamgibson@y..., gomi_otaku <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:

          > I like the idea of E-books, but scrolling down a page on a Palm or
          on
          > a laptop or even desktop is not too conducive to reading.

          you get used to it. plucker on an 8 meg pda plus an expansion card can
          hold a lot of data. i can fit daily news, one or two books plus the
          entire archives of two web based peer review journals.

          > (I am obsessed with
          > the "Sandbenders" ideas)

          becuz of that i'm starting casemods. dremo-fun.

          > How about rear-view mirrors on car doors?

          how about work on the web and forget the car?

          tvsky
        • manicdeity
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 13, 2002
            There has been work on a type of digital display paper for awhile now
            which reminds me of Diamond Age. Molecules rotating inside of a cage
            to display colours and such. There has actually been some done at
            MIT, but nothing for mass market yet.

            This is nice and all, but how many of you enjoy the smell of old
            paperbacks or creases in a page? I know I do. It is part of the
            experiment of reading. In fact I only read Neuromancer from a
            yellowed paperback copy that I found in an old book store. That,
            though, may be just a little bibliophilia.

            I'd buy an ebook for periodicals and journals, but I'll forever want
            the touch of paper for my imagination. Almost owe it to the
            literature itself to have a tome instead of some bits.
          • gomi_otaku
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2002
              This is nice and all, but how many of you enjoy the smell of old
              > paperbacks or creases in a page? I know I do. It is part of the
              > experiment of reading. In fact I only read Neuromancer from a
              > yellowed paperback copy that I found in an old book store. That,
              > though, may be just a little bibliophilia.
              >
              > I'd buy an ebook for periodicals and journals, but I'll forever
              want
              > the touch of paper for my imagination. Almost owe it to the
              > literature itself to have a tome instead of some bits.

              Much the same way that digital downloaded music will not easily
              replace buying a CD. It's the tactile sensation, combined with the
              actual sense of "ownership". I mean, you can download an entire CD,
              even download the artwork...but designed for easy download, for the
              mass market. The only ones that would be professional quality would
              be designed for special markets. One of the first things I do after
              buying a CD is sit down and read the inserts. You never know what
              you are going to find, guest artists, recognizign the name of a
              producer or collaborator from another project, etc.
              gomi_
            • gomi_otaku
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2002
                > There has been work on a type of digital display paper for awhile
                now
                > which reminds me of Diamond Age. Molecules rotating inside of a
                cage
                > to display colours and such. There has actually been some done at
                > MIT, but nothing for mass market yet.

                How about a hologram type display, but set into the form of a two-D
                plane, that pans from one side to another, representing the turning
                of a page? of course, it would look too rigid, not like an actual
                page that flexes and curls as you turn it.
                gomi_