Are there enough Willam Gibson's fans to help me?

  • project2501_newborn
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2002
      Hi there,
      just checking whether there are people who read (and like) William
      Gibson's work. I am translating his latest novel All Tomorrow's
      Parties and want to check some things...

      Not being an English native speaker, I have some problems with some
      (apparently trivial) things.

      Note: I do understand English well enough, I just don't get the
      meaning in the context - so I don't need you to explain the general
      meaning of the words, just to put the whole expression in other
      words... or something.

      ****** Here come the questions****

      Why is the 9th chapter called "Sweep Second"
      13 - Secondhand daylight ???secondhand?
      45 - Jack Move
      68. The Absolute At Large

      - speaking of the bridge in San Francisco:
      He asks to be taken to the bridge. The cab draws up before a
      rain-stained tumble of concrete tank traps, huge rhomboids streaked
      with rust, covered with the stylized initials of forgotten lovers.
      ???tank traps

      AND - for those being from California (but not only for them, of
      course) - in Virtual Light, Idoru and ATP Gibson mentions NoCal and
      SoCal (officialy separated as two different countries). Is it invented
      by him or is NoCal and SoCal common name? I mean - would the proper
      translation be the Czech equivalents for "Northern California etc." or
      is it better to use "NoCal" as to stress the independence?

      thanks

      T.
    • djdmonster
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2002
        Hi,

        I'm not sure that it's possible to translate a number of the things
        you mention as they don't make that much sense in English (JAck
        move, etc)!

        By 'Second hand daylight' Gibson presumably means daylight that has
        not reached the room directly- daylight that has been reflected off
        a number of surfaces before it has entered the room.

        'Tank traps' are the pyramid shaped bits of reinforced concrete,
        generally about 2 foot high, that you get outside security conscious
        buildings- such as the US embassy in London.

        As for NoCal and SoCal, I've heard other Sci-Fi authors use the same
        abreviations for north and south California. I'd be tempted to leave
        the abreviations as they are and let your readers work it out for
        themselves!

        Hope that helps a little

        --- In thesprawlofwilliamgibson@y..., "project2501_newborn"
        <project2501@c...> wrote:
        > Hi there,
        > just checking whether there are people who read (and like) William
        > Gibson's work. I am translating his latest novel All Tomorrow's
        > Parties and want to check some things...
        >
        > Not being an English native speaker, I have some problems with some
        > (apparently trivial) things.
        >
        > Note: I do understand English well enough, I just don't get the
        > meaning in the context - so I don't need you to explain the general
        > meaning of the words, just to put the whole expression in other
        > words... or something.
        >
        > ****** Here come the questions****
        >
        > Why is the 9th chapter called "Sweep Second"
        > 13 - Secondhand daylight ???secondhand?
        > 45 - Jack Move
        > 68. The Absolute At Large
        >

        > - speaking of the bridge in San Francisco:
        > He asks to be taken to the bridge. The cab draws up before a
        > rain-stained tumble of concrete tank traps, huge rhomboids streaked
        > with rust, covered with the stylized initials of forgotten lovers.
        > ???tank traps
        >
        > AND - for those being from California (but not only for them, of
        > course) - in Virtual Light, Idoru and ATP Gibson mentions NoCal and
        > SoCal (officialy separated as two different countries). Is it
        invented
        > by him or is NoCal and SoCal common name? I mean - would the proper
        > translation be the Czech equivalents for "Northern California
        etc." or
        > is it better to use "NoCal" as to stress the independence?
        >

        > thanks
        >
        > T.
      • project2501_newborn
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
          Oh, thanks very much, I know I can't translate it literally - that's
          why I'm looking for someone keen enough to have this book and be able
          to look these paragraphs up and tell me why (in his opinion) they are
          called so.

          T.
        • project2501_newborn
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
            OK, here's another one:

            (Ch. 22)Her green eyes widen in furious emphasis, a green pale as
            drift glass, DNA-echo of some British soldier, Fontaine has often
            surmised, on some chose Kingston night, these several generations
            distant.
            ??? drift glass

            (Ch. 24)They found a dark place that felt as though it hung out
            beyond where the bridge's handrails would've been. Not a very deep
            space, but long, the bar along the bridge side and the opposite all
            mismatched windows, looking south, past the piers, to China Basin.
            ???piers

            Ch 24 (p. 101) Now Shoats, absently, produced what looked like the
            top of an old-fashioned tube of lipstick from his shirt pocket and
            began to play, using the gold metal tube as a slide. The sounds he
            coaxed from the guitar caught Rydell in the pit of his stomach, as
            surely as Creedmore had sucker-punched that security man: they
            sounded the way rosin feels on your fingers in a poolroom and made
            Rydell think of tricks with glass rods and the skins of cats.
            Somewhere inside the fat looping slack of that sound, something
            gorgeously, nastily tight was being figured out.
            ???rosin (the only rosin I know is used for violin bows – so what
            is
            that about poolroom? Is poolroom the place where the pool is played?)
          • Matt Mooney
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
              I don't know how anyone learns English with all the idioms we have. But
              I'll try to help you. Secondhand means "used" basicly. Like someone
              else had it and used it and now gave it to you. Jack Move "as in Jack
              Move, Sucka!" I'm assuming ;-} Is just a cool thing to say when
              suckerpunching someone or something along those lines. "At Large" just
              means active or sometimes "in office". Tank traps are just big metal
              constructions meant to be obstacles to military vehicles on a battle
              field (I think).

              Not a Californian. NoCal and SoCal to stand for Northern...etc. but
              you'd probably be well off sticking with the shortened versions.

              Hope that helped and didn't hurt. ;-}

              --- project2501_newborn <project2501@...> wrote:
              > Hi there,
              > just checking whether there are people who read (and like) William
              > Gibson's work. I am translating his latest novel All Tomorrow's
              > Parties and want to check some things...
              >
              > Not being an English native speaker, I have some problems with some
              > (apparently trivial) things.
              >
              > Note: I do understand English well enough, I just don't get the
              > meaning in the context - so I don't need you to explain the general
              > meaning of the words, just to put the whole expression in other
              > words... or something.
              >
              > ****** Here come the questions****
              >
              > Why is the 9th chapter called "Sweep Second"
              > 13 - Secondhand daylight ???secondhand?
              > 45 - Jack Move
              > 68. The Absolute At Large
              >

              > - speaking of the bridge in San Francisco:
              > He asks to be taken to the bridge. The cab draws up before a
              > rain-stained tumble of concrete tank traps, huge rhomboids streaked
              > with rust, covered with the stylized initials of forgotten lovers.
              > ???tank traps
              >
              > AND - for those being from California (but not only for them, of
              > course) - in Virtual Light, Idoru and ATP Gibson mentions NoCal and
              > SoCal (officialy separated as two different countries). Is it
              > invented
              > by him or is NoCal and SoCal common name? I mean - would the proper
              > translation be the Czech equivalents for "Northern California etc."
              > or
              > is it better to use "NoCal" as to stress the independence?
              >

              > thanks
              >
              > T.

              =====
              --Matt Mooney