Re: any news?

  • gomi_otaku
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4 7:19 AM
      Just wondered if there was any more news re when the new book's
      > coming out,

      following a lead, I went to Penguin.co.uk to search for clues.
      william Gibson is there, as are all his books on Penguin UK, but
      unfortunately there is no "upcoming selections" type section. The
      only advance notice it seems they give on the site is "what books are
      coming out next month". which would only help if it was coming out,
      I guess, next month (which it is not)

      which trilogy (if any it'll be attached to)

      I'm assuming none, since I've heard it takes place in Japan. There
      is an article out there with him talking about his obsession with
      Japan (as well as all of our obsession with it as the source for new
      tech and the reasons behind it) in which it mentions in a tagline
      that the new book is coming out on Penguin UK

      , or when the
      > film with him in the back of the car is coming out.

      already out, though has anyone got a review for us? It's called "no
      maps for these territories", do a quick search and you'll find it.
      Not too expensive to buy, even on DVD, but does it have the redeeming
      quality of being able to be watched again and again? who knows....
      gomi_
    • dylarbum
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5 5:12 AM
        > I'm assuming none, since I've heard it takes place in Japan. There
        > is an article out there with him talking about his obsession with
        > Japan (as well as all of our obsession with it as the source for
        new
        > tech and the reasons behind it) in which it mentions in a tagline
        > that the new book is coming out on Penguin UK

        agreed, it will likely be separate from previous storylines, however
        the title "Pattern Recognition" implies there will be some further
        development of the "nodal capabilities" displayed by characters like
        Laney and Harwood. There are recent articles written by Gibson in
        WIRED and TOKION which hopefully I'll be able to transcribe shortly.

        > , or when the
        > > film with him in the back of the car is coming out.

        > already out, though has anyone got a review for us?

        here's your review: like Gibson? like his writing style? the way he
        sees the future as an extension of today? then get it. some of it is
        over-indulgent (U2's Bono and the Edge do readings of passages), but
        the ongoing commentary of Gibson is at times fascinating. In
        addition, the use of digital technology to turn the windows of the
        back of the limo into active fields for alternating loops of footage
        running at multiple speeds in multiple directions makes a statement
        about the medium without being pretentious, and its an interesting
        litle effect on its own. Definately worth checking out, probably
        worth owning if you belong to this group to start with. And for the
        real geeks out there, none other than Jonathan Glazer is listed as a
        camera operator on the project, the diretcor behind SEXY BEAST and
        some of Radiohead's best music videos.

        chris
      • gomi_otaku
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6 5:20 PM
          Do you think Gibson had prior knowledge of the researcher from the
          60's (?) who has a lot of books out on "Pattern REcognition"? Do a
          search for "Gibson & Pattern Recognition" some time and you will see
          what I mean.
          Did he do it to be ironic?
          gomi_