Gibson and the concept of Global Brain

  • arpad_bak
    Message 1 of 1698 , Feb 11 2:33 PM
      Hi,<br><br>I am writing my thesis on the organic
      metaphor in cyberculture, especially in Gibson's works. My
      basic assertion is that in an age when technology
      becomes more and more refined and organic, a cult of
      nature is on the rise. That is, as high technology is
      based on copying the patterns of nature, nature becomes
      like a source of metaphysical truth, just like in the
      age of 19th century Romanticism. <br><br>It is the
      human brain that is regarded the ultimate product of
      nature. Artificial intelligence research, one of the most
      cutting edge branch of science wants to reproduce it. But
      first scientists have to find a definition to what
      intelligence is and how it works. The truth is out there, in
      nature. Nature in this case does not mean simply the
      wilderness but rather the "logic" of nature. <br><br>We do
      not exactly understand this logic, but we can see the
      result of its existence in the emergence of the more and
      more complex organic forms. Gibson's writings are full
      of examples of "organicism": his Zaibatsus are like
      organisms (New Rose Hotel, cf. Burke's and Hegel's organic
      society), the destroyed town in Idoru builds itself up
      organicaly by means of naontechnology (cf. frank Lloyd
      Wright's organic architecture), and it is an unjustly
      neglected fact that at the end of Neuromancer the matrix
      becomes a global mind. <br><br>Gibson is not alone in
      cyberculture with such tendencies. Think of, for example,
      Brian Eno and his album NerveNet with song titles like
      "Distributed Being". Also, his "generative music" is based on
      the concept of natural growth, which can be related
      the same way to the poetry of Coleridge and
      Wordsworth. <br><br>Are you interested in more details? Do
      you have ideas pro or contra? Can you bring up furter
      example for organic thinking in recent popular culture?
      Don't hesitate to share your observations with me.
      Neuromancer, see the
      URL<br><a href=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vineLand/message/18 target=new>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vineLand/message/18</a><br>That is a message I sent to a discussion group devoted
      to cutting edge culture, technology and philosophy,
      called vineLand (after Pynchon's novel.)<br><br>Arpad
      Bak
    • my411is
      Message 1698 of 1698 , Mar 4, 2002
        dvd is shipping this month. vhs is out already.