Simple Family Solutions

  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2005

      "It's good to remember that young children often have a hard
      time understanding abstract ideas like patience or kindness. As you
      establish rules to teach these concepts, you are giving your
      children concrete actions which they can put into practice. Rules
      put feet and hands on the values you want your children to learn."
      ~~Scott Turansky

      * * *

      Nanny to the Rescue!

      The department store is a great place to see parenting
      skills at work. I often wish "The Nanny" was there to come up to
      people and tell them how they could better handle a few situations.
      Take yesterday. Waiting in line to be checked out, the people
      behind me had a little girl about five years old. There was a
      popcorn counter nearby and the smell of popcorn was heavenly. The
      little girl said, "Daddy, I want popcorn."

      "We just ate dinner, you can't be hungry yet." (Obvious attempt to
      deny that there is always one appetite after another in the human
      species and even a robin would salivate at the smell of that
      delicious popcorn!)

      "But I want popcorn!"

      Mom joins in the fun, "It won't hurt if she has some popcorn."
      (Oops, just broke #1 parenting rule – be on the same page)

      Little girl gets her popcorn, of course.

      Now, much to my amazement, here comes the Nanny, almost like in a
      dream!

      "Excuse me," she says in her English accent. "What did you just
      teach your daughter?" Everything in the store comes to a complete
      halt and there is utter silence.

      The couple look at each other, "um, uh…. Well," they stammer.

      "That's right," says the Nanny. "You just taught her that you are
      not together as parents, and that if she whines, she can get most
      anything she wants."

      "How could you have handled that better?"

      "Um, uh…well", the parents again are speechless.

      "I'll tell you what. If the mum would have used her noggin, she
      could have stayed on the same page as dad by saying, "Doesn't that
      popcorn smell yummy?" How about we got home straight-away and make
      up a batch at home. That way we are teaching her that every desire
      doesn't have to be answered immediately, we agree with her that she
      is delighting in the wonderful aroma of the popcorn, but we are also
      conscious of dads decision and we save some money as well."

      The parents look at each other with lightbulb looks, and the Nanny
      disappears. The store action is back to normal. I wonder if I
      imagined the nanny. I hope to see her again soon. You never know
      when she might pop in!

      Parenting is tricky business, and it does take some work to learn
      that there is sometimes a better way to achieve a lesson and have
      fun at the same time.

      * * *

      And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who
      comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those
      who earnestly seek him. Hebrew 11:6

      "What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what
      you become by achieving your goals." --Zig Zigl

      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

      Here are some Simple tips to help you start the season off right.

      Assign yourself a different task for each day. Make your
      family a schedule that is comprised of one hour and one task each
      day. It may look something like this:

      Monday: general cleaning up from the weekend
      Tuesday: Laundering and making a menu for the week
      Wednesday: Vacuuming
      Thursday: Decluttering and shopping (use a list)
      Friday: Organizing and Rearranging
      Saturday: Dusting and plant watering
      Sunday: Day off!

      Then, spend one hour each day doing your assigned task
      for each room, throughout your house. you'll be amazed
      at the difference you can make in your home by following
      this simple system.

      * * *

      Simple Crockpot Baked Potatoes

      10 to 12 potatoes
      Aluminum foil
      Wash and prick potatoes with fork and wrap each potato in foil. Fill
      slow cooker with foil-wrapped potatoes (do not add water). Cover and
      cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. (High 3 to 4 hours). Will be just
      like oven baked. Works well for sweet potatoes, too.

      Keeping it Simple.
      Sheryl

      Please forward this email to anyone who is interested in Simple
      living.

      You can become a member by clicking:

      WELCOME TO THE GROUP!