  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2005

      Spring is here. Not many of us are too disappointed. In the
      middle of winter, spring seems so far off, but once it's here, we
      can't help celebrate. Since we've been doing our spring cleaning
      inside the past few weeks, now we can begin our outside cleaning.
      Sweeping near the garage, straightening the wood piles for next
      year, raking, trimming last years flowers to get ready for next
      year. There are even clothes hanging on the line. We may, probably
      will, still have some snow before summer sets in for good, but it is
      April. While this nice warm weather is here, we can take advantage –
      have a picnic! Fire up the grill. Have a yard clean up and grill
      some burgers. With some soft drinks and marshmallows get a jump
      start on summer. Don't miss a second of it.
      Walk around the yard and show the kids the tulips that are
      stirring. Have a `hunt' for new spring growth. Look for
      butterflies, moths, and birds who've arrived home. Or, hit the back
      roads. Visit a new area, not too far from home.
      Rich and I went to old downtown Bay City recently and found a
      nestling of antique shops, we never knew about. There were several
      blocks for us to investigate. A friendly little neighborhood
      diner – straight out of the 50's - was where we had a nice lunch.
      Trying something new is a great way to have a change of pace from
      winter when we were cooped up with raging snowstorms.
      What can your family do to make spring a special time? Plant
      some pansies, build some bluebird houses. Just, what ever you do –
      have fun! (Do be careful of burning!)

      ***** Learning at Home *****

      Being a successful person hinges on being a successful
      reader. A lot of jobs have you apply on-line. Or maybe you just
      have to be able to read the application and fill in the blanks.
      That means you also have to write. Being a quick learner is
      helpful, and the more practice you get, the better you get. At the
      very least you have to write your name, address, references. If we
      know our kids are going to need these skills, we need to do
      everything we can to facilitate these skills. Do your kids see you
      reading? Do you love to learn?
      The best way for a child to learn is by example. Read to
      them before bed. Read something exciting so that they can't wait
      for the next part tomorrow. You might catch them reading ahead.
      Is your house a learning center? A computer is a real
      learning tool these days. And even with some not-so-healthy things
      on the internet, there are incredible learning opportunities. Want
      to visit Timbuktu, or Switzerland, or learn about WWII? Just do a
      simple search and you can find nearly anything about history,
      recipes, your ancestors, weather, craft ideas, gardening tips,
      people from history, or even things like fishing and hunting. Going
      on a trip? Research it! You can find a list of campgrounds, make
      reservations, and even get a map of your trip.
      Take a trip to the library and find how to books for
      building a patio, recipes, or building a dog house. Let the kids
      browse. When they come in from playing outdoors they will have
      books to look at instead of just watching TV.
      There are learning videos, and games. There are crafts, and
      learning skills such as simple sewing, crocheting, gardening. Homes
      can be an environment of learning – and learning can be fun.
      Whatever you do at home, you can get your child involved and have
      fun at it. Making dinner? They can learn to use a can opener,
      butter bread, set the table. Even little kids love to learn and
      help. Especially if given a little encouragement.

      * * * Simple Quotes * * *

      "The most important work you and I will ever do will be within
      the wall of our own homes."~~ Harold B. Lee

      "There is one quality that one must possess to win, and that is
      definiteness of purpose,
      the knowledge of what one wants, and a burning desire to possess
      it. "~~ Napoleon Hill

      "Never again clutter your days or nights with so many menial and
      unimportant things that you have no time to accept a real challenge
      when it comes along. This applies to play as well as work. A day
      merely survived is no cause for celebration. You are not here to
      fritter away your precious hours when you have the ability to
      accomplish so much by making a slight change in your routine. No
      more busy work. No more hiding from success. Leave time, leave
      space, to grow. Now. Now, not tomorrow!" ~~ Og Mandino

      * * *

      Simple Shisk – K – Bob!

      Here is a simple recipe that your family might just come to love!

      Hot dogs (Koegels are great)
      Pineapple chunks
      Wooden skewers

      Cut hot dogs into 1 inch chunks. Thread onto skewers, alternating
      with pineapple. Wrap with bacon, securing both ends. Grill over
      medium heat until well cooked. Spread with Bar-B-Que sauce, if
      desired. Serve immediately in hot dog buns. Have Catsup and
      chopped onions, if desired. Baked beans, potato salad or coleslaw
      complete the meal.