Change a Life!

  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2005
      The Simple Life

      A student teacher, Shelly, was put in charge of a classroom
      while the teacher was gone for the week. "What should I do if they
      don't listen to me?" she asked.
      "Send them to the office. But in case you are thinking about
      sending Frank to the office - don't. I know he's a crab. He
      hardly ever smiles, but he works hard. He is the first to class and
      the last to leave."
      The beginning of the first day arrived and Shelly called Frank to
      the front of the class. Frank, I was going to send you to the
      office the first chance I got. I knew you would try to make life
      difficult for me. But your teacher told me what a hard worker you
      are. She told me how hard you try. I won't send you to the office
      if you will work with me.
      Shelly looked up at Frank and saw him brush a tear from his
      cheek. "Why didn't she ever tell me that?" Frank worked harder
      than ever that day and by the end of the week he was turning in
      better work and even smiling!
      Twelve years later, Shelly attended at basketball game at that same
      high school. She was surprised to run into Frank, who she found was
      a teacher at that school. "How did you come to teach here Frank?"
      She asked.
      "That day you talked to me changed my life. I had always felt
      ignored, but after that, I began to think about trying harder, and
      then I wanted to change somebody else's life, too. That's how I
      came to be a teacher."
      One minute. That's all it takes. Every day we can say something to
      change one person's life for the better. Whose life will you change
      today?

      * * *

      Simple Quotes

      "In war as in life, it is often necessary when some cherished
      scheme has failed, to take up the best alternative open, and if so,
      it is folly not to work for it with all your might." ~~Winston
      Churchill

      "You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you've collected a
      lot of empty yesterdays." ~~ Harrold Hill (from The Music Man)

      * I* *

      Being Confident

      Too many times in life, we try to blend into the crowd. Wear
      your favorite color and style proudly. Don't blend in – stand out!
      Don't be shy – you are a great person. Be the life of the party.
      Laugh - a lot- with friends or with yourself. Being happy is a
      choice. Don't be controlled by life's circumstances, but make
      healthy choices. Be your own best friend. Admit when you are
      wrong. Don't be afraid to ask questions! There are no stupid
      questions – well, not very many! Do you have a small talent God gave
      you? Use it, develop it. Do everything you can to do your best.
      Make decisions and don't give up! If you do have weaknesses, work
      to improve them. Be the best you can be and be proud of it. I hear
      a lot of young people say they can't get a job, but with the sour
      look on their faces, it's no wonder. Put a winning smile on your
      face and you can't lose!

      Simple Substitutions

      For: 1 Tbsp. fresh herb Use: 1/3 to 1/2 tsp. dried herb (of the
      same kind)
      For: 1 clove garlic Use: 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
      For: 1 egg in baking Use: 1 tsp. cornstarch plus 1/4 cup water
      For: 1 whole egg Use: 2 egg yolks plus 1 Tbsp. water
      For: 1 cup whole fresh milk
      Use: 1/2 cup evaporated milk plus 1/2 cup water, or 1/3 cup dry
      milk plus 1 cup water
      For: 1 cup buttermilk Use: 1 cup plain yogurt or 1 cup sour milk
      (4 tsp. White vinegar or lemon juice plus milk to make 1 cup -- let
      it sit for five minutes before using)
      For: 1 cup sour cream (in baking) Use: 7/8 cup buttermilk or sour
      milk plus 3 Tbsp. of butter
      For: 1 cup sour cream (in salad dressings, casseroles) Use: 1 cup
      plain yogurt or 3/4 cup sour milk plus 1/3 cup butter
      For: 1 cup cream Use: 1/3 cup butter plus 3/4 cup milk
      For: 1 cup corn syrup Use: 2/3 cup granulated sugar plus 1/3 cup
      water
      For: 1 cup brown sugar Use: 1 cup granulated sugar plus 2 Tbsp.
      molasses
      For: 1 3/4 cup confectioners sugar Use: 1 cup granulated sugar,
      packed
      For: 1 cup margarine or butter (in baking or cooking) Use: 1 cup
      hard shortening or 7/8 cup vegetable oil
      For: 1 square unsweetened chocolate Use: 3 Tbsp. cocoa plus 1
      Tbsp. oil
      For: 1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate Use: 1 ounce unsweetened
      chocolate plus 4 tsp. sugar
      For: 3/4 cup cracker crumbs Use: 1 cup bread crumbs
      For: 1 cup cake flour, sifted Use: 7/8 cup all purpose flour,
      sifted (1 cup minus 2 Tbsp.)
      For: 1 tsp. baking powder Use: 1/3 tsp. baking soda plus 1/2 tsp.
      cream of tarter, or 1/4 tsp. baking soda plus 1/3 cup sour milk
      For: 1 Tbsp. cornstarch for thickening Use: 2 Tbsp. flour
      For: 1 Tbsp. flour for thickening Use: 1 1/2 tsp. corn flour,
      potato flour, or rice flour

      Hot Bacon Dressing

      6 slices bacon
      2 tbsp bacon fat
      1/4 c sugar
      1 1/2 tbsp flour
      1/2 tsp salt
      1 c milk
      1 egg, beaten
      1/4 c vinegar

      Fry bacon; drain and crumble. Reserve 2 tbsp fat and put in a
      skillet. Stir in sugar, flour and salt. Remove from heat and
      gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly,
      until thickened. Blend a small amount into the egg, then return to
      pan. Cook 1 minute. Stir in vinegar and bacon. Serve. Great on
      spinach salad.

      Pass this on to your friends who enjoy simple living!