What's on Your List?

  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2005
      Simple Life
      =============
      by Sheryl Simons

      ~~ The happier you are with the simple things,
      the easier it is to be happy. ~~

      Yesterday, it was imaginable that spring was on the way.
      The sun shone, snow melted, and the sound of water dripping was
      constant. With every warmer day, our hopes are raised, and then the
      cold comes back like a bad dream, snow blows again, and our hopes
      are dumped like yesterday's trash -untilÂ…the sun breaks through
      again. Kind of like life. Something hopeful happens like a breath
      of spring air, and then we have a flat tire on the road of life.
      But isn't it those flats that keep us hoping for spring?
      There was a guy I read about who had a list of about 100
      things that he wanted to do before he died. We probably all read
      about him. Here were some of the things he had on his list: visit
      the Eiffel Tower, climb a tall mountain, parachute from an
      airplane. Nice, lofty goals. But I have an idea that not many of
      us are willing or able to do most of these.
      As the mother of my first grandbaby (my son Andrew and his
      wife Eve had Aubriannah on Jan. 30!) I can tell you that holding her
      was the #1 item on my list! After that, climbing a mountain seems
      trivial. I've been on a wonderful vacation with my daughter to
      Mexico, but I think things like the Eiffel Tower are not where I
      want to start. I do have a list of things I'd like to do. That
      doesn't mean that I will fail miserably if I don't accomplish them
      all, I don't have to go that far. Having a list of "have to's" kind
      of takes away from the "what I've done's"! It doesn't have to be
      scaling tall mountains!

      Here are some Simple Things I hope to accomplish: (not in any order)

      Go for a nice canoe trip with my husband again this summer

      Spend a nice warm day on the beach with our grandkids

      Have a picnic with our friends

      Spend another evening playing cards with neighbors

      Get to know someone I haven't met yet

      Spend time getting to know God better

      Having a cinnamon roll breakfast with my family

      Giving as many hugs as I can

      Going for a walk with the dog

      Listening for the frogs this spring

      Watching a lightning storm

      Catching another fish

      What's on your list of Simple things to do?
      Having a list like this makes every day special.

      * * *

      "One of the wonderful aspects of the human imagination is
      its power to break through the barriers of time and space. It can
      see things not as they are but as the can be." ~~ Denis Waitley

      "The man who has no imagination has no wings." ~~ Muhammad Ali

      "I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
      Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited.
      Imagination encircles the world." ~~ Albert Einstein

      * * *
      Try cleaning Cd's and DVD games with white colgate or baking soda
      wash and dry well. It can polish the scratches right off!

      * * *

      Simple Cole Slaw

      If you like coleslaw and are looking for a good recipe:

      4 c finely chopped cabbage (about 1 head)
      1/4 cup shredded carrot (1 medium carrot)
      tablespoons minced onion
      2 1/2 T sugar
      1/4 t salt
      dash pepper
      2 T milk
      1/4 c mayonnaise
      2 T buttermilk
      1 T white vinegar
      1 T lemon juice

      1. Be sure cabbage and carrots are chopped up into very fine pieces
      (about the size of rice).
      2. Combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk,
      vinegar, and lemon juice in a large bowl and beat until smooth.
      3. Add the cabbage, carrots, and onion, and mix well.
      4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

      * * *
      "A person who loves his or her work is like a plant in the right
      spot - Their growth is maximized and the yield is greatest."~~ Jeff
      Cox