Middle of February!

  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2005

      The happier you are with the simple things, the easier it is to be
      happy.

      Facts about IRAQ –
      Thanks to my friend who sent this to me!
      1. The Garden of Eden was in Iraq.
      2. Mesopotamia, which is now Iraq, was the cradle of
      civilization!
      3. Noah built the ark in Iraq.
      4. The Tower of Babel was in Iraq
      5. Abraham was from Ur, which is in Southern Iraq!
      6. Isaac's wife Rebekah is from Nahor, which is in Iraq.
      7. Jacob met Rachel in Iraq.
      8. Jonah preached in Nineveh - which is in Iraq.
      9. Assyria, which is in Iraq, conquered the ten tribes of
      Israel.
      10. Amos cried out in Iraq!
      11. Babylon, which is in Iraq, destroyed Jerusalem.
      12. Daniel was in the lion's den in Iraq!
      13. The three Hebrew children were in the fire in Iraq (Jesus
      had
      been in Iraq also as the fourth person in the fiery furnace!)
      14.
      Belshazzar, the King of Babylon saw the "writing on the wall"
      in
      Iraq.
      15. Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, carried the Jews
      captive into Iraq.
      16. Ezekiel preached in Iraq.
      17. The wise men were from Iraq.
      18. Peter preached in Iraq.
      19. The "Empire of Man" described in Revelation is called
      Babylon, which was a city in
      Iraq!

      Israel is the nation most often mentioned in the Bible. But do
      you know which nation is
      second? It is Iraq! However, that is not the name that is used
      in the Bible. The names used in the Bible are Babylon, Land of
      Shinar, and Mesopotamia. The word Mesopotamia means between the two
      rivers, more exactly between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers. The
      name Iraq means country with deep roots.

      Indeed Iraq is a country with deep roots and is a very
      significant country in the Bible.

      No other nation, except Israel, has more history and prophecy
      associated it than Iraq.

      Since America is typically represented by an eagle, the
      following verse is from the Koran, (the Islamic Bible) Koran
      (9:11) - For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a
      fearsome Eagle. The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the
      lands of Allah and lo, while some of the people trembled in despair
      still more rejoiced; for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands
      of Allah; and there was peace.
      *(Note the verse number!)
      Note from Sheryl: There is much information in Genesis about
      Abraham and his two sons. (Gen. 12- The history of the Tower of
      Babel is found in Gen. 11, Noah – Gen 6-9. There is so much history
      about this region in Genesis. The history of Noah, Joseph, Isaac
      and Rebekah, Rachel and Jacob and then going into the beginning of
      Israel with the history of The region and Moses in the book of
      Exodus. It's fascinating reading, and if you have a good reference
      Bible, you can see maps, and understand where all this was
      happening. All the history of that ancient time is directly tied to
      the same history that is taking place today. Maybe this winter you
      and your family can read a chapter a night at dinner time, or even
      breakfast, or take a half hour on Saturday, and get to know your
      history. Skip Leviticus, parts of Numbers and Deuteronomy and then
      in Joshua more great stories and the settling of Israel. The Bible
      is not just a book of religion, but seeping with history. Amazing!

      * * *
      Simple (and Yummy) Oatmeal Cake

      1 c uncooked oatmeal
      1 stick margarine or butter
      1 1/2 cups boiling water
      1 c white sugar
      1 c brown sugar
      2 eggs
      1 1/2 c flour
      1 t baking soda
      1/2 t cinnamon
      1/2 t nutmeg

      TOPPING:
      6 T butter or margarine, melted
      1/3 c evaporated milk (can use cream)
      1 c coconut
      1/2 c chopped walnuts
      1/2 c brown sugar

      Cake: Mix oatmeal, butter and boiling water and let stand 20
      minutes. Add sugars and eggs. Beat well. Add all remaining cake
      ingredients. Beat well. Spoon into greased and floured 9"x13" pan.
      Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

      Topping: Prepare while cake is baking.

      Combine all ingredients and mix well. Spread over hot cake as soon
      as you remove it from the oven. Place under broiler for 1-2 minutes,
      until topping is brown and bubbly. Cool and serve. *You can double
      the topping ingredients for a thicker layer.

      * * *
      "We can chart our future clearly and wisely only when we know the
      path which has led to the present." ~~ Adlai E. Stevenson
      "The good times we put in our pocket. The hard times we put into our
      heart." ~~ Les Brown
      "Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be
      understood." ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

      Still Keeping it Simple,
      Sheryl

      If you have ideas you would like to share about Simple Living, go to

      This weeks topic is writing your family history.