Happy Valentine's Day!

  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2005

      note: This should have been posted last week, but since I was very
      busy becoming a first-time grandmother, (you will be hearing all
      about it soon!, I didn't get it out. Sorry!

      Happy Valentines Day

      A couple on the news was honored for being married 82 years.
      Must be nearly an all-time record. They were 100 and 102 years
      old. They still live together in a nursing home. Imagine all the
      ups and downs they've lived through in all those years. Good times
      and bad, happy and sad. Many people read about history, they've
      lived it. Wars have come and gone. They've gone from horse and
      buggies to cars to airplane travel, telephones and indoor plumbing.
      They've turned old, white haired and wrinkled, but they still hold
      hands – even if it is to keep each other from falling down!
      That is real love. Hollywood would tell us that real love
      takes glitz and glamour. Love tells us that taking care of each
      other is the real thing. Teenagers have no idea, do they? They
      have strong feelings of fireworks, but the older we get the more we
      know that real love is watching your husband do the dishes, or
      watching your wife hold your new-born grandchild, or bringing your
      spouse a glass of ice tea while they are mowing the lawn, or getting
      up first to make the coffee, or going for a walk with the dog,
      together.
      We have just a few days until Valentines Day. With a little
      planning, we can make it really special. Bake a few Valentines
      cookies for lunches with colored frosting, or pink and red
      sprinkles. Don't' forget a few love notes. How about having lots of
      red food on the menu? Chili, BBQ Chicken, red Jello, or Tomato Soup
      or a heart-shaped cake, are just a few ideas. Special Valentine's
      Day, doesn't mean expensive. A marble in between each muffin cup
      paper and the muffin tin makes heart-shaped muffins when baked.
      How about a picnic in the living room? Lighting lots of pink,
      red and white candles. Hanging heart cut-outs from construction
      paper. Get the kids involved in some crafts. Everyone can make
      Valentine Cards for each other – Grandparents too. How about family
      game night? Make cheap stamps by cutting a heart shape out of a
      potato and using some red paint or markers. It's really easy to
      send everyone a Valentine e-mail!
      Take some special pictures and turn it into a scrap-book page.
      Include the Valentine's notes. Even the dog can have a red bow on
      Valentine's Day. The whole family can wear red, today.
      Have a special outing for the family, or just a couple. Visit
      a book store or library. Watch a romantic old movie.
      For the kids, have a scavenger hunt that ends up at the
      breakfast table. Leave hints all over the house that lead to the
      next – shaped like a heart, of course. They can be hunting while
      you make French toast. Use a cookie cutter shaped like a heart to
      make inside and outside hearts (that way you don't have to throw out
      the edges!). Or you can make pancakes with chocolate chips sprinkled
      in the shape of a heart. If you haven't tried a chocolate chip
      pancake, you should!
      If the kids have left the nest, maybe you can do something
      special with/for the grandkids. If it's just the two of you, well
      that's a real chance for a special Valentines Day. Surprises are
      the best for Valentine's Day – and everyone likes surprises. A
      surprise says that you thought long and hard for something special,
      and you didn't wait for the last minute. No matter how you do it,
      make your Valentine's Day a day to remember!

      * * *
      Simple Valentine's Day Quotes

      Men always want to be a woman's first love, women like to be a man's
      last romance. ~~ Oscar Wilde

      The course of true love never did run smooth. ~~ William Shakespeare

      There is only one kind of love, but there are a thousand imitations.
      ~~Francois de La Rouchefoucauld

      To keep your marriage brimming, with love in the wedding cup,
      whenever you're wrong, admit it; whenever you're right, shut up.
      ~~ Ogden Nash

      Love cures people, both the ones who give it and the ones who
      receive it. ~~ Dr. Karl Menninger

      Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking
      outward together in the same direction. ~~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

      ==> Simple Black Forest Dump Cake <==

      1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained, save juice
      1 (21 oz) can cherry pie filling
      1 (18 oz) Devil's food cake mix
      1 cup chopped pecans
      1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
      Whipped topping

      Lightly grease 13 x 9 inch pan, layer drained pineapple. Second
      layer - add pie filling. Third layer - dry cake mix over filling.
      Fourth layer - sprinkle with pecans. Combine melted
      butter and pineapple juice and pour over top. Bake 1 hour at 350`
      Chocolate and cherries are a great way to say "I love you!"

      To join, go to:

      or

      to join our discussion group on Simple Living!

      Welcome! And Please pass this on to your friends who want a simple,
      more fulfilling life!