Winter Wanderings

  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2005

      The road was muddy; there were patches of snow here and there,
      but the sun was warm.
      Everywhere there was the sound of water dripping. Water bubbles
      made noises under the ice of a small creek. It was the kind of day
      where choosing boots might have been a good idea, but tennis shoes
      were the choice of the day. (Remember coming home from a day like
      this and having soaking feet when you were a kid?) Who wants to wear
      heavy boots when you feel like running through the fields? A jacket
      was almost not necessary.
      What was left of snow formed small puddles, and connecting
      rivulets. Everything sparkled and smelled fresh and clean.
      Snowmobile tracks faded in the warm air. Occasionally birds
      chattered. We (the dog and I) wove our way past fields and along
      paths to nowhere. It was a day to explore. It may be awhile before
      we get to do this again, for more cold weather is sure to come.
      Everything was still brown, but along the edge of the road, there
      were green shoots hiding under the brown faded grass from last year,
      looking brighter than an Oscar. We found a softball size puddin'
      stone along the road to carry home and add to the collection.
      What a great reprieve from the cold and howling wind of winter –
      a breath of spring between the snowbanks.
      Long ago days beckoned us to wander too long and too far, but
      never too far to get lost. Cresting the last hill of the day we
      realized that we'd traveled a ways and it was time to head home for
      dinner. We were as brave as Lewis and Clark, cresting a previously
      unscaled hill. We wondered what our parents would think if they knew
      how far we'd gone, but secrets were safe on stolen days. Since we
      returned safe and sound, no questions were asked. Thoughts of bears
      tickled our imaginations. Nothing could have made us stay home to
      watch television or play in the house. It was a day that made us
      itch for true spring, and gave us daydreams of warm weather on
      waning days of winter.
      When we arrived home my feet were just barely wet, but I can't
      say as much for the dog. Who knows? Spring may be just over the
      next horizon.
      * * *
      simple quotes

      "Freedom is that instant between when someone tells you to do
      something and when you decide how to respond." -- Dr. Jeffrey
      Borenstein

      "The last of the human freedoms is to choose one's attitudes." ~~
      Victor Frankl

      "All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a
      single word: freedom; justice; honor; duty; mercy; hope." ~~ Sir
      Winston Churchill

      Simple Italian Creme Cake
      Note: my mother (Carolyn Sergent) first made this a number of years
      ago. It's been a family favorite ever since. I recently made this
      for a family birthday. It's rich and creamy – and quite yummy! It's
      so good, it makes up for not being chocolate, but if you are a real
      chocolate lover, replace some of the flour for some cocoa powder!

      1/2 c shortening
      1/2 c stick butter or marg
      1 1/2 C sugar
      5 egg yolks
      2 C flour
      1/2 tsp baking soda
      pinch of salt
      1 C buttermilk (1 T vinegar in 1 c milk)
      1 C shredded coconut
      5 egg whites, beaten until stiff

      Beat shortening and butter well. Add sugar gradually and cream well.
      Add egg
      yolks beating well. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt. Add
      alternately with buttermilk. Stir in coconut. Fold egg whites into
      batter.
      Pour into three 9" greased floured cake pans. Bake at 350` for 20 to
      25
      minutes. Cool before frosting.

      Creme Cheese Frosting

      1 8-oz pkg cream cheese
      1 stick melted butter or marg.
      1 t vanilla
      1/2 c pecans
      1 box ( 2 1/2 c) powdered sugar
      1/2 c coconut to sprinkle on top

      Using a mixer, mix until smooth. Frost cooled cake.

      Simple Rice Tacos
      7 c rice, cooked
      2 c salsa -- fresh or preserved
      3 c kidney beans - drained and rinsed
      2 c frozen corn
      16 lg flour tortillas
      1 pkg taco seasoning mix
      2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
      1 c sour cream

      In a large pan, mix rice, salsa, taco seasoning, corn and kidney
      beans. Heat
      through. Spoon into tortillas to serve. At this point, you may add
      the sour cream
      and sprinkle with cheese.

      * * *
      "Make time for the people you care about ... It's so easy to get
      caught up in doing and achieving that we often neglect to make time
      to be with the people we care about most."
      ~~Donna Smallin

      To join go to

      or

      for our simple life discussion group! Please share with us how you
      try to "Keep it Simple"!