Living the Simple LIfe

  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2005
      *******************************RELAX*******************************

      Come and pour a pot of tea, or cup of coffee. We take things
      slow and easy, here. Relax. Ever notice that sometimes the things
      we fear the most, are somethings that are hard, but good for us?

      People with wisdom realize that it usually takes pain to learn.
      A beautiful young woman told me recently that she used to speed
      while driving, because she was always in such a hurry. Everyone
      told her to just slow down. She wouldn't listen. Finally after one
      too many speeding tickets, she said she will never speed again! Her
      insurance went up to $8000. a year! Terrible, but good. At least
      she didn't have to learn from an accident.

      Why don't we listen to good wisdom? We know better, but we snub
      our noses and do our own thing, don't we?

      So, come sit, and enjoy this column, learn what you can, and
      please pass this on to your friends who are looking for peace in
      their lives, as well.

      Beautiful Winter

      Winter can be amazingly beautiful as the gentle snowflakes
      drift to earth coating the tiniest branches with white and turning
      our backyards into fairytale lands. Winter can also be dreary
      without much sunshine. I think what I miss the most is color. As
      humans age, we seem to lose our color. We don't get outside much
      and our healthy tans fade, our hair grays, even our eye color
      fades. I've noticed with some of my older friends and relatives
      that it's almost as if they are literally fading away. That's why,
      for me, color is so important in winter. If I can't see the sun, I
      can have color.

      It's easy to add fresh flowers or plants for a burst of color
      in a room. How about new curtains that spice up your kitchen or
      bedroom? Deep reds and greens and blues help to jazz things up, and
      can make you feel like the whole room has had a makeover. Make a
      colorful new apron for cooking, or even some perky placemats for the
      kitchen table. Maybe a bright yellow coat of paint for the
      bathroom? And – forget beige. Celebrate life with color! Color was
      a gift from God. Just think, He could have made the world in black
      and white and shades of gray. But He gave us lovely flowers, green
      trees and grass, even evergreens to brighten up our world. I think
      God gave us the seasons to remind us of that our days are fleeting,
      a breath of wind that ruffles the leaves and is gone. Try to think
      of a world without tulips in spring, green grass of summer, golden
      grains of fall or Bluejays and Cardinals in winter. And if you know
      an older person – spice up their day with some color, too!
      * * *

      Finding Exercise in Winter – and On a Budget

      Winter can be a tough time of year for getting exercise. Here
      in the North while we think up all kinds of goodies to cook and bake
      while we are `stuck' inside, the pounds can creep up on us like a
      panther in the woods. We can prevail, though, with a bit of
      forethought. In the summer, it's easier to lose a few pounds
      because of all the outdoor activities. Experts tell us that we need
      to actually raise our heart rate, in order to step up our
      metabolism. The higher our metabolism, the more calories we burn.
      So, the more active we are, the better. There is probably some kind
      of exercise that just about anyone can do, and you don't have to
      get an expensive gym membership, to do it.
      If you have a basement, empty room, or even the floor in your
      living room, you have a place to exercise. If you have the budget,
      you can buy workout equipment, but you don't have to. Hand weights
      are inexpensive and good for working your winter muscles. But
      sometimes you have to think outside the box to interest yourself in
      exercise. It's easy to get a workout in summer with a volleyball
      game or baseball game, but what is fun in winter? Ping-pong, jump-
      roping, taking a walk with the dog or the kids, and how about an
      exercise tape or even dancing to your favorite music. Even on the
      coldest winter days you can climb the stairs or jog in place. So –
      no excuses! Get moving and eat healthy!

      * * * * *

      * * *Just Float* * *
      A woman was working in her garden one day, and as she walked
      past her small pond, she noticed a small bird had fallen in. She
      reached in, cupping it in her hand. The bird was still alive, but
      just barely. She got a towel, and slowly warmed the bird by blowing
      warm air into the towel. The bird didn't struggle, and in two
      hours, it hopped off, ready to go. As the woman was watching the
      small bird, she realized that when she found the bird, it wasn't
      struggling in the pond, but was simply floating as if it new
      instinctively that if it struggled, it would have floundered and
      drowned. She thought of many situations where we can sputter and
      flap, and it will only cause more problems, but sometimes we need to
      float and conserve energy. When we relax and wait, God has a chance
      to reach down and rescue us.

      * * *
      Simple Quotes

      "Discontent as a driving force for a society might make that
      society rich, but it will bankrupt it in the end. As the coffer
      fills, the soul empties." ~~Richard A. Swenson, M.D.

      "A poor man is not the one without a cent. A poor man is the one
      without a dream."--Henry Ford

      SIMPLE BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP
      1/2 cup onion, chopped
      1/2 cup butter or margarine
      1/2 cup flour
      1/2 tsp. salt
      1/2 tsp. pepper
      1-1/2 cups chicken broth
      3 cups milk
      2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
      1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
      In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, saute onion in butter until
      tender. Stir in flour, slat
      and pepper; cook and stir until smooth and bubbly. Add broth and
      milk all at once; cook and stir until the mixture boils and
      thickens. Add broccoli. Simmer, stirring constantly, until heated
      through. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.

      Life is not as difficult as we make it!