Throwing Caution to the Wind in 2005!

  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2005

      * * * * * *** * * * * * *
      A cold wind is blowing, and not from the recent ice storm we
      just had. It is an ice storm of the mind. We have passed the
      holidays and have come into the winter slump. The doldrums have
      slipped in through the cracks and crevices like mice eager to find a
      warm home and a small piece of cheese to nibble. But, never fear!
      There is no life problem we cannot conquer. Take out a piece of
      paper -or, maybe a tablet. Get out those colored markers if you
      feel creative. Write your biggest problem at the top. Maybe your
      problem is money is too tight. Maybe your problem is childcare,
      finding a job, needing a menu for dinners, or getting your child to
      clean her room. Now, begin brainstorming. When you get done with
      one problem, start with the next. If you think you don't have time
      to do any brainstorming – fine, but your problem will likely be
      hanging around for a long time.
      Our minds are our natural "Supermen" just waiting to be called
      upon! Write down at least 20 solutions – don't give up. If you get
      stuck, doodle. You will likely find your answer in no time.
      Sometimes it involves waiting or taking steps. Patience works. If
      your ideas can't be quickly worked through, make a list of steps.
      For instance, if you are looking for a job, start with all the ideas
      you can think of about where to look for a job. Next, what are the
      steps it will take to get that job.
      A friend wanted to learn to be a good cook, and she managed to
      get hired at a restaurant being a prep-cook. She did what she was
      told, and eventually worked her way up to cook, and then head cook.
      Now she's a great cook, and didn't have to pay for cooking school
      lessons!
      The key to this is using your imagination. Don't tell yourself
      it is a crazy idea – it isn't! Any idea is possible but your have
      to open the window to feel a breeze.
      What changes do you need to make this year? No matter how old
      you are, (or how young) you can explore your options.
      Somebody thought that a restaurant that sold cereal was a good
      idea. Many laughed. It's being franchised! A lady was a great
      cookie baker. Ever heard of Mrs. Fields? Ever heard of mountain
      art? That's how Mt. Rushmore came to be. Who would have thought
      that lightning could be harnessed? Ben Franklin thought it was
      possible. What's YOUR idea???

      Simple, Super Quotes for the New Year

      "To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being
      wrong."~~Joseph Chilton Pierce

      "Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks,
      breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun."~~Mary Lou Cook

      "There are two ways of being creative. One can sing and dance. Or
      one can create an environment in which singers and dancers
      flourish."~~Warren G. Bennis

      "I'm always thinking about creating. My future starts when I wake up
      every morning. Every day I find something creative to do with my
      life."~~Miles Davis

      "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may
      learn how to do it." ~~Pablo Picasso

      "To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go
      on creating oneself endlessly."~~Henri Bergson

      "Some men throw their gifts away on a life of mediocrity, great men
      throw everything they have into their gifts and achieve a life of
      success."~~Greg Werner
      "When a child is ill or a close friend dies or an all-important
      relationship is in trouble, there are no gray areas anymore. It
      suddenly becomes easy to see what is primary and what is merely
      peripheral. But what a shame that we must wait for a crisis to get
      our priorities in order. Our lives would be so much easier if we
      would take the time to look closely at our lives and begin focusing
      on the important things before a crisis comes." ~~Claire Cloninger
      * * *

      Simple Mocha Bread Pudding

      1/4 cup granulated sugar
      2 T baking cocoa
      2 t instant coffee granules
      3 1/2 c French bread cubes
      1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated fat free milk
      2 large eggs
      1 teaspoon vanilla extract
      powdered sugar (optional)
      frozen lite whipped topping, thawed
      preheat oven to 350° F. Coat 8-inch-square baking dish with nonstick
      cooking spray.

      Combine sugar, cocoa and coffee granules in small bowl. Place bread
      cubes in prepared baking dish. Beat evaporated milk, eggs and
      vanilla extract in medium bowl until well blended; stir in Sugar
      mixture. Pour over bread, pressing bread into milk mixture. Place
      dish in 13 x 9-inch baking dish; fill 13 x 9-inch dish with warm
      water to 1-inch depth.

      Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until set.(Knife inserted in center
      should come out nearly clean.) Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.
      Garnish each
      serving with whipped topping.