Happy New Year 2005!!!

  • Sheryl
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2004

      Simple Quote
      "Will your children even remember how many gifts they received
      or even those they gave? Probably not. They'll remember the fun
      family times. I find it sobering to realize that every day I am
      participating in the creation of my children's childhood memories.
      If you still have time to do something about those memories, don't
      miss the opportunity." ~~ Mary Hunt
      * * * * * * * * * *
      Now is the time to think over how Christmas went. What was
      good, not so good, or not necessary? Start by asking the kids what
      they got for Christmas. The baby, of course, was happy to play with
      the boxes, and try to put all that colored paper in her mouth. Did
      anyone complain about the Christmas Eve service, or was it a fun
      family event to relax and enjoy? Were the decorations meaningful,
      or were they really over the top or not enough? How hard are they
      to put up or down and pack away? No one will notice who had the
      most lights in the yard, but when they enter the house, they will
      notice how they were treated.
      One of our favorite holiday activities is to go for a ride and
      see the lights in a local town, or sometimes we visit a random town
      an hour or so away. It's nice and relaxing. We might eat before
      we
      go, and stop for a piece of pie - or enjoy a meal out.
      We had a taco bar with sandwiches, desserts, salads and finger
      food for Christmas dinner. The biggest problem was finding counter
      space for the buffet. Everyone loved it, but I realized that I
      could have done a few more things ahead of time. That will be on my
      list for next year. One thing we did right was use nice paper
      plates and paper cups. A big trash bag took care of most of the
      cleanup!
      While most of the Christmas parties are over, let's plan
      for
      next year – right now! No, we don't have to plan every
      detail, but
      we can get a head start. If you draw names, do it now! Send
      everyone an email on those new computers you just got, and that will
      narrow down the list, somewhat. Start with a gift list. Just a
      skeleton list that gives you an idea of who you will need a gift for
      next year, and now you have a place to write down ideas as they
      come. Think back to all those craft shows you walked through. Did
      you see any gifts you could make for next year? Anyone, even a kid
      can crochet a scarf or make a potholder. Everyone needs them, too.
      Nothing wrong with making everyone a cute birdhouse, or other gift.
      Use one pattern and have a production line. Finding a gift that
      kids can help with is great family fun. Also, if you have a list
      handy, in your wallet or purse, you can write ideas down while you
      go. Maybe this spring you will notice your grandson will outgrow
      his baseball glove. Idea! You will also get to take advantage of a
      good sale when baseball season is over. This year I will be finding
      some crafts I can get done ahead of time, and work on them early.
      I'm also working on a family recipe book, complete with a few
      photos! I use a regular notebook binder (3 ring) and see through
      page protectors. I print out the recipes 3 or 4 to a page, and use
      dividers to separate different categories, such as cookies, breads,
      veggies, etc. Now when we need a recipe, the page can be taken out,
      and easily taped to the cupboard door until I'm done with it.
      And
      it can't get stained in a plastic page protector. I can put a
      photo
      of Gram next to her favorite cookie recipe and maybe a note about
      how much fun I had making them with her when I was young. All my
      children will get one of these notebooks. But it is a big project I
      actually started two years ago, and have been typing the recipes
      onto a computer file. This year I will be printing them out and
      putting them together.
      I've heard many people who've been married for years say
      that
      they don't buy each other a gift. Well, I guess that's
      alright for
      them, but for me, I think hunting for just the right gift is half
      the fun. My husband is a tool man. He doesn't have them all,
      though. We were walking through his favorite store a few months
      back and he showed me a tool that he didn't have, but would come
      in
      handy. I knew exactly what his Christmas gift would be. He'd
      even
      forgotten showing it to me, and was really surprised. I told him I
      didn't have a problem with him taking it back if there was
      something
      he could use more, but he's already made plans for it on one of
      his
      projects.
      There wasn't much of anything I needed, but there were some
      shelves I need built. That was just what I wanted!
      One thing New Year's makes me think of is how I spent my
      year.
      What was worthwhile? What was a waste? Even those things I wasted
      were not a waste if I learned from my mistake. Nothing I've done
      this year to make someone's life better was a mistake. Making
      memories with my family is more important than any gift I can give
      them.

      "There is a wonderful mythical law of nature that the three
      things we crave most in life -- happiness, freedom, and peace of
      mind -- are always attained by giving them to someone else." --
      Peyton Conway March

      Simple Laughs for the New Year!

      1. He who dies with the most toys is still dead.
      2. NyQuil, the stuffy, sneezy, why-the-heck-is-the-room-spinning
      medicine.
      3. Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.
      4. I'm not a complete idiot --Some parts are missing.
      5. Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.
      6. Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
      7. Being "over the hill" is much better than being under it!
      8. Wrinkled Was Not One of the Things I Wanted to Be When I Grew up.
      9. Stupidity is not a handicap. Park elsewhere!
      10. I Have a Degree in Liberal Arts; Do You Want Fries With That?

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Crab Rangoons
      1 pkg. wonton wrappers (found in produce section of grocery store)
      2 tbsp. finely chopped scallions
      crab meat, smaller pack (I usually use imitation)
      1 block cream cheese, softened
      garlic salt, dash

      You don't have to measure the ingredients, just mix and suit to
      taste. In medium bowl, mix cream cheese, very small dash of garlic
      salt, and chopped scallions. When mixed well, add crab meat to
      mixture, mix again. (Some Chinese restaurants make theirs sort of
      sweet, if you prefer the sweet ones, add 1 tbsp. powdered sugar,
      more or less to taste. You can also make
      the cream cheese rangoons, with no crab meat, if you do this mix
      just the cream cheese with powdered sugar-very good!) Drop spoonful
      of mixture onto wonton wrapper, then fold into star shape, corners
      up in the air. Brush corners with water so they will stick. Drop
      into med-hot oil to fry. (Deep fry is what I do) Repeat until you
      have enough, just fix extras because
      they are good! Just make sure not to leave unattended, the wonton
      wrapper will begin to turn brown and begin to sort of 'bubble up',
      that's when it's ready to remove from the oil. Hope this helps!