So much to be Thankful For!

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2004

      Take time this Thanksgiving to say a prayer of thanksgiving, for
      our country, our freedom, our famlies (of course), God - who sent
      His son Jesus to die for our sins - and please pray for safety for
      our troops around the world who are working day and night to make
      our world a safer place for us all.
      Our family also goes around the table to say one sentence about
      what we are thankful for. You can do this right before dessert, or

      A Simple Laugh

      Several days before Thanksgiving a man in the small town of
      Marion, MI called his son in New York. "Son, I hate to tell you
      this, but your mother and I are calling it quits. We can't stand
      the sight of each other any more."
      "What!" gasped the son. "You've got to be kidding! I don't
      believe it! You can't do this dad, after all these years!"
      "Call your sister and let her know, will you?"
      Brother called sister in Denver.
      After informing his sister of the situation, she says, "I'll
      take care of this!"
      She calls her father.
      "Dad, I just can't believe it about you and Mom. Listen, I'm
      calling my brother right back. Don't do anything until we get there,
      but since it's so close to Thanksgiving, we'll have to bring the
      kids, we'd never find a sitter at this late date," and she hangs up.
      The man turns to his wife. "The kids will all be here for
      Thanksgiving, Dear – and their paying their own way!"

      Thanks to my good friend, Deanne Down for sending this Thanksgiving
      Day Laugh! If you have a good chuckle, send them to

      * * * * * * * * * * *
      All That Really Matters

      By Sheryl Sergent Simons

      This past Saturday, we celebrated my grandfather's 100th birthday
      party in Davison MI. He retired from the postal service with 38
      years, and then worked at a bank in Flint for many more years. My
      Grandmother passed away in 1986.

      Last year, I spent a couple hours with my Grandpa (James)
      Sergent, making a tape of all he could remember. He told me a lot
      about the past - lots of memories. We talked of family, and what
      Flint was like in the `old' days. On my way home, I realized I'd
      forgotten to ask the most important question of all. I wished I'd
      asked Grandpa what he'd learned in this life that really mattered.
      But then, I really didn't have to ask that question, did I? All I
      had to do was look back at his life for as far as I could remember,
      and listen to the stories I'd heard about him from the rest of my
      family. No words were needed because looking at his life and his
      life with my grandmother spoke for itself.
      Other than hearing from Grandpa about getting a speeding ticket
      in the 20's for going an outrageous 32 miles per hour in a Model T,
      I'd never, ever heard one thing that my Grandparents had done that
      was out of character for the people that they were. And all I had
      to do was look at who they were.
      Grandpa and Grandma married in the twenties and raised six
      kids. Grandpa working long hours and Grandma doing all she could at
      home to support him. He earned the money, and Grandma worked just
      as hard keeping the house clean, putting 3 square meals on the
      table, doing mountains of laundry and keeping the cookie jar filled
      as fast as little hands could empty it.
      And then, along came the grandkids. Now Grandma really had a
      full time job keeping that cookie jar full.
      When I was a young girl, I spent the night at Grandpa and
      Grandma's. In the middle of the breezeless hot summer night, I woke
      up and couldn't get back to sleep. It was the kind of summer night
      where crickets sang as people threw even the sheets to the foot of
      the bed. I don't know where Grandpa slept, but Grandma put up with
      my wiggles until I finally did fall back to sleep. I do know that
      Grandpa gave up his side of the bed for me so that I could be with
      Grandma, thought I'm pretty sure Grandma probably wished she'd left
      me and my wiggles with him!
      That was love. We didn't know it then, never gave it a
      thought, but as we grew it was wrapped around us like invisible
      Grandpa and Grandma had no idea when they married so many
      years ago (almost 80), that they had chosen perfect partners, and
      they couldn't have picked better. I can still remember the feel of
      Grandma holding my hand. I'm sorry that my children don't really
      remember Grandma. But they haven't missed out on her love. Their
      love has passed to our parents, through us, and onto our children.
      We may not have ever stopped to think about it, but every single one
      of us who was born into this family, or married into this family
      became a cherished member. Grandpa and Grandma have shed many a
      tear, and prayed many a prayer over each of us. They taught us all
      about ethics and discipline, family values, and faith, and they
      didn't need words to do it -they lived it. They both loved to laugh
      and we giggled right along with them. They may have never been a
      huge success in the eyes of the world, but they passed on every
      thing that really mattered to each of us.
      If you don't believe me, look at the world around us. We
      haven't been insulated from the world, but we were taught how to
      live in the world. We weren't immune from trouble, but they gave us
      the answer. We were taught that no matter how tough things get, we
      hold on to Jesus hand. That's the only peace that we will find in
      this world, the only thing that really matters. Some things never
      * * *
      When I was 5 or 6, I wanted Grandma's recipe for these cookies
      so we could make them at home. We had to make them so she could
      write down her recipe. I still have that recipe she wrote down for
      me almost 40 years ago.

      Grandma Sergent's Farmer Molasses Cookies

      2 cups sugar (or 1 cup white and 1 cup brown)
      1 cup shortening or lard
      1 cup cold coffee
      1 T soda in coffee
      1 cup dark molasses
      1 T ginger
      1 t cinnamon
      1 t salt
      7 or 8 cups flour

      Mix sugar and shortening. Add molasses, then mix in coffee and
      soda. Stir in spices and flour. Roll out and cut with cookie
      cutter. Decorate with 3 raisins pressed into each cookie and bake
      about 10 minutes at 350`.

      Keeping it Simple,

      Join the simple life family discussion group where we share recipes,
      tips, family ideas, faith, and thoughts about Simple LIving!

      click to Join! And Welcome to the group!