Giving Thanks!

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2004

      Rich Man, Poor Man

      A very rich man named Carl was riding his great stallion over
      his vast estate. He came upon a poor tenant farmer named Hans,
      sitting in the sun overlooking the valley. "What are you doing
      there?" asked Carl.
      "I am thanking God for all my blessings."
      "But you are poor! I wouldn't be thankful if I owned what you
      do."
      "God has given me all I need. I am very thankful," said Carl.
      Carl added, "It's strange you came by today. I had a dream last
      night I thought I should tell you about. Last night, I dreamed that
      the richest man in the valley died."
      "Dreams don't mean anything!" and with that Carl rode off.
      Carl however, could not get the dream off his mind, so when he
      arrived at his home, he sent for the Doctor. The Doctor came and
      gave Carl a full examination. "You are healthy as a horse, Carl.
      There is no reason for you to worry about an old man's dream. But
      the doctor stayed through the night, just in case.
      The next morning, as the doctor was preparing to leave, a
      messenger arrived. "I have information! Hans, the farmer died in
      the night."

      * * *

      What do readers of "The Simple Life" say they are Thankful for?

      "I am greatful for my country and that "moral issues" was a big
      factor in choosing a President this time. One of the signs of the
      end of this world is a great return to God and I feel it is
      happening. The "me first" generation is finally beginning to fade
      and turn to "what can I do for you" instead. It is simple to put it
      into words but living the life of servatude to God, family and
      country is a lifelong task." ~A. from Grand Rapids

      "I am thankful for the bounty God has provided this country. I
      pray that more people will become aware of how blessed we are
      compared to the majority of the people in this world. We throw away
      more than most of the world's population will ever own. As we get
      closer every day to the end times and as the huge prosperity bubble
      we are living on gets closer and closer to bursting, I am thankful
      that we have learned and continue to learn to live the simple life
      and to be more self sufficient. I am I am thankful we were able to
      save one Russian orphan by making him a beloved member of our
      family. I am thankful for our children and did not have to give
      them up because we could not provide for them. I pray that more
      people who go to extraordinary lengths to become pregnant will come
      to realize that there are thousands of babies around the world who
      will never know the love of a mother's arms."~Suzy

      "I am thankful for our country and my family. I am thankful that I
      not only
      can worship, but can choose among many local churches where I want
      to worship. I

      am grateful for health, because no matter what I have ever had, I
      always see
      or here of someone who is worse off." ~Susan in Cutler Ridge

      "When I was going to work I said. Thank God it is Friday, I hate my
      job. I stopped myself and said "Wow, I am so lucky to have a great
      job, close
      to home and I have such a nice weekend to look forward to. This day
      will fly by
      and I will be off for two glorious days."
      Being more thankful is something I am going to have to work on.
      ~Sherry

      "I try to remember the things I'm really thankful for, the ones that
      REALLY matter whenever I am feeling down. Thanks to living simply I
      also try to remember that more when being asked to commit to things.
      I ask myself "Does this really satisfy and support faith, home or
      family?" If is does, I do it, if not, than I don't. It has been so
      eye opening for me." ~Chaley in Western NY

      Note: to join the "Simple Life" online discussion group go to
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplelifefamily

      * * *
      "Only the disciplined are free." ~~ J.C. Penney

      "America has never been united by blood or birth or soil. We are
      bound by ideals that move us beyond our backgrounds, lift us above
      our interests and teach us what it means to be citizens. Every child
      must be taught these principles. Every citizen must uphold them. And
      every immigrant, by embracing these ideals, makes our country more,
      not less, American." ~~ President George W. Bush

      * * *
      Simple Pumpkin-Choco Cake

      2 c flour 1-1lb can pumpkin
      2 t baking powder 1 1/2 c Bran Flakes
      1 t baking soda 1-6oz. pkg.(1 cup)semi-
      1/2 t salt sweet chocolate morsels
      1 1/2 t cinnamon 1 c coarsely chopped nuts
      1/2 t ground cloves confectionary's glaze
      1/4 t allspice (optional)
      1/4 t ginger
      2 c granulated sugar
      4 eggs
      1 c vegetable oil

      Sift together flour, baking soda, soda, salt, spices and sugar.
      Set aside. In large bowl beat eggs til foamy. Add pumpkin, vegetable
      oil and bran flakes; mix well. Add sifted dry ingredients only until
      combined. Stir in nuts and chocolate morsels. Spread evenly in
      ungreased 10 x 4 tube pan. Bake in 350 oven for 1 hour and 10
      minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out
      clean. Cool completely before removing from pan. Place cake on plate
      on drizzle with confectionary's glaze if desired. Makes 16 servings.

      Thanks to all who sent their "thanks" comments.

      Please forward this to anyone who wants to live "The Simple Life".

      send comments to thesimple_life@...