Simple Pumpkin Struesel-topped Muffins!

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004

      My cousin Dawn's son Sean was home from Iraq for a 15 day
      leave. In Iraq he is near Samara where the main office is a former
      Hussein palace. He drives high ranking officials as they work with
      government officials and local agencies. He feels good about his
      work in Iraq. He told us he can definitely see progress in the
      country. I'm sure he was happy for a small vacation, but he was
      also glad to go back to the men he is working with – his family away
      from home. Some of his hours are long and tedious. He felt that
      the trouble in Iraq was due to the insurgents who were invading the
      country, purposely trying to cause trouble in the region. He has
      worked closely with some Iraqis and got to know some of them quite
      well. They really want to work and improve their country. They
      don't want fighting in their country and are just as frustrated as
      we are with uprisings. They are working for their homeland,
      families, and peace, often at a great risk to their own safety.
      Sean, we are so proud of you and your fellow soldiers who are
      working to bring peace in the middle East. We can't wait for you to
      all come home safely! God be with you in your work.
      * * *
      On a personal note, my daughter Holly just turned 25 years
      old. I just can't believe it. We have shared so many happy times
      and made many great memories. Once when we were out riding our
      horses, we came across a tiny newborn fawn curled in a ball just
      beside the trail. Thanks, Holly!

      If you have little ones, give them a hug, or better still, make a
      happy memory with them – one that you'll never forget!
      * * *
      "Almost everything we'll ever do in life that is really
      powerful, that really produces a result in our lives, that quantum-
      leaps us to a new level . . . requires us to do something
      uncomfortable. It takes risks to achieve. It's often scary. It
      requires something you didn't know before or a skill you didn't have
      before. But in the end, it's worth it. As former Congressman
      Ed Forman says, `Winners are those people who make a habit of doing
      things losers are uncomfortable doing.' Make today your day to start
      that uncomfortable new habit." ~~ Jack Canfield

      * * *
      If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.
      Happy moments, praise God.
      Difficult moments, seek God.
      Quiet moments, worship God.
      Painful moments, trust God.
      Every moment, thank God.
      * * *
      Simple Recipes
      High priced cream of chicken soup, cream of cheese, or cream of
      mushroom, can be easily replaced in just a jiffy with this simple
      and quick recipe:

      Simple Homemade "Cream of ??? Soup"

      For 1 cup of sauce, melt two tablespoons butter, whisk in two
      tablespoons of flour until well blended, and then stir in one cup of
      milk, broth, or a combination of the two. Cook it on medium heat,
      whisking constantly, until thick. Add salt, pepper, paprika, or
      melted cheese to taste! It takes just a few minutes and it is
      delicious. For cream of chicken, add some chicken base, or other
      appropriate flavoring.

      This time of year, anything pumpkin is yummy! To make your own
      pumpkin like canned pumpkin, cook small pie pumpkins in the
      microwave or oven (with some water so they don't dry out) then puree
      in blender. Put extra in the freezer.

      Simple Streusel-topped Apple Pumpkin Muffins
      2-1/2 cup all purpose flour
      1 3/4 cups sugar
      1 T pumpkin pie spice
      1 t baking soda
      1/2 t salt
      2 eggs, slightly beaten
      1 c canned pumpkin
      1/2 c vegetable oil or applesauce
      2 cups peeled, finely chopped apples
      Streusel Topping (Recipe follows)
      Combine first five ingredients. Set aside. In a medium bowl,
      combine eggs, pumpkin and the oil. Add liquid ingredients to the dry
      ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon just to moisten. Gently stir
      in the apples. Spoon batter into greased and floured or paper-lined
      muffin cups. Fill to 3/4 full. Sprinkle the Streusel Topping over
      the batter.
      Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a
      toothpick inserted in center of each muffin comes out clean.
      Streusel Topping:
      in a small bowl, combine 2 TBSP flour, 1/4 cup granulated
      sugar, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Cut in 2 TBSP butter and mix with fork
      until the topping is crumbly. YIELD: 18 muffins

      Keeping life simple,