America the Beautiful

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11 6:46 AM
      WElcome to "The Simple Life!"

      We are a non-profit weekly newsletter that promotes family values,
      simplicity of life, faith gardening and easy family recipes. Our
      group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplelifefamily is a discussion
      group for anyone interested in sharing their ideas for simple living.

      Have a great week!

      What do you see when you think of America? Do we envision a
      small child on his father's shoulders waving an American flag during
      a Fourth of July Parade or do we see a parade of protestors fighting
      for yet another `right' that they claim? Do we see a family
      gathered for a reunion in a park with watermelon and apple pies or
      do we see soldiers with automatic weapons patrolling our downtowns
      along with shoppers as so many other countries have? Do we see a
      family attending church on a sunny morning or will there be more
      clouds of smoke rising from terrorist attacks on our country?
      Every four years we have a chance to vote. But what are we
      voting for? We are, very simply, voting for America. Every four
      years the stakes get higher as we move farther away from the simple,
      yet delicate structure that was set up by our very own ancestors.
      These are the men who prayed not for three minutes, but for three
      hours on their knees, not in airconditioned chambers, but on hard
      floors and with sweat and tears. They prayed for our great nation,
      still only a concept. They prayed for their families who had
      cleared the land and sowed the crops by hand. They cut wood to warm
      their hearths for winter heat, and preserved and gathered food for
      winter. They struggled with putting their very families in danger by
      putting pen to paper to sign the Declaration of Independence.
      Primitive? Yes. That's what we were made of. Simple principals that
      made us who we are. But what have we become?
      Voices that can be heard loud and clear tell us that the
      traditions we have held dearly for over 200 years are no longer
      needed. They have not kept up with the `times' we are told. Ancient
      history. The chance that one or two might be offended seems more
      important than what is best for our country as a whole . We have
      lost much of our religious freedoms and cannot even choose for
      ourselves if we want the "Ten Commandments" displayed in our
      courthouses across the nation or to have a prayer at graduation
      (fortunately, here in Marion, we still do – but don't tell
      anybody!) No, we can't vote on the issues, but judges across the
      land, who earned their degrees at some of the most progressive
      institutions are making the decisions we must not be capable of
      making. Progress?
      Three years ago our nation was shaken by terrorists who would
      destroy all we hold dear. We fought back, but our fingerholds are
      crumbling. Why? Because it is easier to listen to the shouting,
      jeering mob than our own history. We don't need terrorists to defeat
      us, we are voting against our own values – the values that have held
      out country together like glue. The history that held God in His
      rightful place at the head of our nation, and not gagged and bound
      in the back row.
      Does this election really matter? Few democratic nations have
      held together more than 200 years. We are already passed that
      mark. Each election becomes more critical, but our citizens only
      become more complacent.
      We have a chance to cast a vote for our great nation. We
      don't have to do anything but push a button. Will we vote for
      America or will we just wait to see what happens to her?
      America – Land of the Free and Home of the Brave!
      It's just that simple.
      * * *

      "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters
      compared to what lies within us" ~~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

      "Our laws and our institutions must necessarily be based upon and
      embody the teachings of the Redeemer of mankind. It is impossible
      that it should be otherwise; and in this sense and to this extent,
      our civilization and our institutions arte emphatically Christian."
      ~~U.S. Supreme Court, decision in Church of the Holy Trinity v.
      United States, 1892
      * * *
      Simple Crockpot Apple Pie

      8 tart apples, peeled and sliced
      1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
      1/4 tsp. cloves
      1/4 tsp. nutmeg
      2 T butter, softened
      3/4 c. granulated sugar
      2 eggs
      3/4 c. milk
      1 tsp. vanilla extract
      1/2 c. biscuit baking mix
      1/3 c. packed brown sugar
      3 T. cold butter

      Toss apples in large bowl with cinnamon, allspice, and
      nutmeg. Place in lightly greased crockpot. Combine milk, softened
      butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and the 1/2 cup biscuit baking
      mix. Spoon over apples.
      Combine the 1 cup biscuit baking mix and brown sugar. Cut
      the cold butter into mixture until crumbly. Sprinkle this mixture
      over top of apple mixture.
      Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours, or until apples are
      soft.

      Simply Delicious!!!!!!

      Simple Gardening

      Easier than raking. Mow those leaves! Breaking the leaves into
      small pieces by mowing them, will actually put nutrients back into
      the soil, while raking and burning them is just a waste. Mow
      regularly before they pile up. Your yard will look just as good,
      and it is good for your yard!

      Keeping life simple,
      Sheryl

      Please pass this on in it's entirity. To sign up for this
      newsletter, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thesimple_life/

      It's that easy!