Simple Peace

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2004

      It was just a yard sale we'd turned into, right? As we started
      browsing the tables, we realized that it was much bigger than we'd
      thought. It was a sale, but turns out it was made up of storage
      shed items that people had abandoned and never picked up – bought at
      auction. There were boxes of family photos, and every other thing
      you can possibly imagine. At some point people thought they needed
      extra space for these items that they could not live without. But
      they are managing to live without them, and quite well, I imagine.
      Donna and Harry have two children and wanted to get away from
      the `big city' life, but high paying jobs made them think twice
      before moving, but they felt like slaves with long hours and
      commuting. Harry found a job that paid not quite half as much, but
      they also found land at a low price covered with pines. They set up
      a several year plan. They cut the pines and let them dry well.
      They studied log home plans and found a design they could build
      themselves. They did everything possible themselves on weekends and
      vacations without hiring help unless absolutely necessary. They cut
      frills, dedicating themselves to their plan. Several years later
      they had moved, had a very small bank loan and very few expenses.
      They have a big garden and eat very healthy food. Meals are cooked
      from scratch and they don't spend their time shopping for things
      they don't need. For entertainment, they go for walks, visit museums
      and go camping and fishing. When they visit their `city' friends
      they know they made the right choice for them. Their city friends
      are also thinking about making a move.
      A grandmother moved from her large old Victorian house in town
      to a small little beach home. Her friends advised her that she was
      making a very drastic move and she would miss her `stuff'. The
      dining room table that had been in the family for years, the
      mementos from vacations all but forgotten. Family heirlooms were
      given to family members with a one-year condition that if she
      changed her mind, she could have them back.
      That winter as she and her granddaughter sat bundled against
      the wind looking at stars, she realized that she hadn't left
      anything behind – she was just making new sets of memories.
      Each day is what we make it. It is not made up of things, but
      what we reach for, and the memories only time can erase. We all
      choose what makes up our lives. Simplicity is not just moving to
      the country or living without electricity, but finding peace in your
      lifestyle. Frantic living is not simple. Simple living is finding
      satisfaction at the end of each day.
      * * *

      "Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving
      through traffic in a car that you are still paying for, in order to
      get to the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, care
      and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to
      live in it." ~~ Ellen Goodman

      "What is at the center of your life? Carefully examine where you
      spend your attention, your time. Look at your appointment book,
      your daily schedule…. This is what receives your care and attention –
      and by definition, your love." ~~ Wayne Muller

      "There can be no joy of life without joy of work." ~~ Thomas Aquinas
      * * *
      TACO CORNBREAD PIZZA

      8 1/2 oz. pkg corn muffin mix
      1 lb. ground beef
      1 envelope taco seasoning mix or your homemade mix (with water
      called for in
      directions)
      8 oz. pkg. shredded cheddar cheese

      Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Spread
      batter in greased
      12-inch pizza pan. Bake in 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, until
      lightly browned.
      Brown meat in skillet until no pink remains; drain. Add taco
      seasoning (if using dry
      mix, add water as directed--2/3 cup, I think). Cook meat mixture 2
      to 4 minutes
      more. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over crust. Top with meat mixture.
      Sprinkle rest of
      cheese over meat. (OR--put meat on crust & sprinkle all the cheese
      over the meat!)
      Bake 4 to 5 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream,
      salsa,
      shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and chopped onions.

      In the Garden

      Is it just me, or is it kind of sad to be tilling in the garden
      to prepare for spring? It seemed to come too fast this year.
      Pulling the cornstalks and tomato vines from the ground that gave us
      beautiful tomatoes and juicy ears of corn almost seems like
      betraying your friends. But, in a few months, the fun of planting
      will begin again, and tiny seeds will turn to plants bearing fruit
      for our canning jars and tables.
      Any preparation you can do now for spring is good. Getting the
      weeds turned under in case of a wet spring is great if you can.