Simple Fall Tips

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2004

      Fall is in the air, here in Michigan. Red apple ornaments are
      hanging on the apple trees. Trees are dropping colorful leaves.
      Drive in any direction from here and you will find beautiful rolling
      hills, and beautiful scenery, with lakes, forests, and trees.
      Fall sports have also started with the crack of hitting
      helmets being heard, Cross Country runners are seen jogging along
      roads, soccer teams chase after goals, and gyms are filled with the
      sound of tennis shoes on the squeaky clean floors.
      In the country the sound of chain saws can be heard buzzing up
      wood for winter. Boats are leaving the lakes for the last time.
      The last ears of corn are being plucked from crispy corn stalks. And
      diehard gardeners are covering their tomato plants each night to
      spare those last few tomatoes from Jack Frost.
      It is hard to imagine that in just a few months we could have
      white stuff (I refuse to say the word) falling in drifts along the
      roads.
      Take a few moments to think of your garden next year. Get
      anything you can ready ahead of time this fall. Wet spring weather
      can often delay garden work. If you are starting a new garden –
      either flower or vegetable – get the area ready now. Remove or kill
      the grass and keep it worked up right up to a hard freeze. The more
      you work it up now, the less weeds next spring. You can also cover
      with carpet or plastic to keep out weeds.
      Trade plants with friends and work up the garden after you have
      plucked that last tomato to kill any lingering weeds.
      Simple Easy Fall Get-Together
      If you can, don't forget a family and/or friend get together.
      Plan a fall party, pot luck, of course. Take as many vehicles as
      needed and wind through some area hills and vales. You might want
      to have warm spiced cider on hand.End up at an out-of the way picnic
      spot. Have a nice big bonfire and roast hot dogs or burgers. Bring
      your last ears of corn, and garden goodies. Many area chambers of
      commerce have a color tour map. Have a great time!

      * * *

      "Each day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our
      children." ~~Charles R. Swindoll

      "In the final analysis it is not what you do for your children but
      what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them
      successful human beings."~~ Ann Landers

      "If I live intentionally, being true to my own personality, serving
      out of my God-given giftedness and calling, I no longer feel a need
      to envy anyone else's career, marriage, minstry, talents, or
      mission." ~~Joan C. Webb

      Simple Fall Recipes-

      For those leftovers from the garden, here is a very simple salad
      recipe. Take a cuke, tomato, some onion, and a pepper. Peel the
      cuke and chop all. Add enough Italian dressing or ranch dressing to
      make creamy. Yum!

      Simple Apple Crisp

      5-6 apples, peeled and sliced
      1/3 c. sugar
      1 tsp. cinnamon
      1/3 c. butter, melted
      TOPPING OF:
      1 c. flour
      1/2 c. sugar
      1 tsp. baking powder
      1/2 tsp. salt
      1 unbeaten egg
      1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

      Place apple mixture in a deep dish pie pan. Sprinkle with sugar and
      cinnamon. Mix
      topping ingredients with the exception of the cinnamon with a fork
      until blended.
      Sprinkle topping over apples. Drizzle melted butter over topping.
      Sprinkle with
      cinnamon. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.

      Simple Oatmeal Cookies
      These are the best crispy on the edges oatmeal cookies, that I have
      ever had. Try them for yourselves.
      Preheat oven to 350F. Beat together 3/4C stick margarine, 1C
      firmly packed brown sugar,
      1/2C granulated sugar, 1 egg, 1/4C water, and 1 tsp vanilla until
      creamy.
      Mix together 3C oats (uncooked), 1C flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda,
      and 1 tsp salt(optional). Then add dry ingredients to wet. Mix
      well. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake
      for 12-15 min. Makes about 5 doz. Cookies.

      Keeping Fall Simple,
      Sheryl

      If you enjoy this group, you will really enjoy the "Simple LIfe
      Family" - a group where everyone sends in their own helpful hints
      for living the "Simple LIfe"!!!

      Go to:

      to sign up! Welcome!!!
    • Sheryl
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 25, 2005

        Yesterday, driving down a road near our house, the trees were a
        brilliant mix of reds and dark pinks and oranges, and the road was
        covered with fallen leaves, and more leaves were falling like
        confetti. Too soon, the leaves will be down and the branches will
        be bare. It's a fun time of year, though, with kids getting ready
        for Halloween, cider parties, hayrides, and even the drive to work
        can be relaxing when you notice the colors around you, instead of
        being in a hurry. I like to leave 15 minutes early, just so I'm not
        in a rush. Makes for much safer driving.
        A friend at work always has a really nice lunch. I asked him
        how he gets ready in time. He always makes his lunch the night
        before. It is probably leftovers, but it is a real dinner, not just
        a sandwich. He often has a steak, chicken breast, potatoes, or a
        pork chop. When he reheats it in the microwave it smells so good!
        Some people share a lunch at work, by cooking and taking
        turns. This also requires preparing ahead of time. Planning ahead
        is the key, whether you make a pot of soup and put it in freezer
        bowls to pull out each day, or bake up some potatoes and have some
        fruit bowls or salad bowls made up ahead and in the fridge to
        grab. Many lunches could be made a few days ahead, especially if
        you use the freezer, you can pull one out a day ahead and put it in
        the fridge to thaw for tomorrow. Lunches made easy. The best part
        is that you are saving a good $5 a day, if you usually buy lunch!
        * * *

        Simple Pumpkin Dessert

        1 can (15 oz.) solid pack Pumpkin
        1 can (12 oz.) evaprorated milk
        3 eggs
        1 c sugar
        4 t Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
        _____
        1 pkg. (18 1/4 ozs.) yellow cake mix
        3/4 c butter, melted
        1 c chopped walnuts
        Vanilla Ice Cream or Cool Whip

        Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine the first five
        ingredients. Transfer to a greased 13" X 9" baking pan. Sprinkle
        with dry cake mix completely over the top until all is used.
        Then drizzle the melted butter on top of the cake mix, all over. Add
        walnuts. Bake 1 hour or until a knife inserted near the center comes
        out
        clean. Serve with vanilla ice cream or cool whip.

        This recipe has also been called a 'Pumpkin Dump Cake', being that
        you
        literally 'dump' all of the ingredients into one pan and bake.
        Delicious
        served warm!
        * * *

        "This is what I want from now on: a slower pace, a more centered
        existence, and the feelings of perfect happiness to be found in the
        moments I come home to myself." ~ ~ Linda Weltner

        "Life is too short to live small dreams." ~~Gene Simmons
        * * *
        Simple Garden

        Our weather is such that it has been good weather to get the
        garden worked up. The garden will be ready for spring, when it is
        turned under in the fall. It helps to get those weeds killed now,
        and not let the roots take hold. That way you will only have a few
        weeds to pull in the spring when you are ready to plant.