The Simple Life - 8- 24-2004!

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2004

      Sisters of the Blessing
      Only 6 months apart, my cousin Dawn and I were blessed to have
      each other – mainly for one reason – we only had brothers – yuck!
      We never lived closer than an hour away from each other, but
      fortunately our parents didn't mind traveling often and on those
      special days we enjoyed spending time together that many girls take
      for granted – being sisters. We played games and whispered secrets
      out of our "brothers" hearing distance. Brothers can be such
      pests! Dawn's three brothers and my two were always pulling some
      kind of pranks so we kept to ourselves as much as possible.
      I can't remember a time when we fought.
      In no time we were graduating from high school and both
      working at a Christian camp for kids - we were so excited.
      Unfortunately we didn't work together - I was in Arts and Crafts and
      Dawn in the kitchen - but we still spent as much time together as
      our schedules would allow.
      One magical, warm night in August there were meteor showers
      and we stayed out until 2 o'clock in the morning, just the two of
      us, lying on the damp grass, high on a hill, talking and laughing.
      While we watched and pointed at falling stars in the vast skies we
      shared our dreams and fears of the future like only two sisters
      could.
      Too soon the summer ended and in a few months I was asked to
      be maid of honor in my cousins wedding. Within months she was
      married and off to Germany with her husband in the armed services.
      A year later, when I married, she was unable to come home.
      We got busy with our lives and before long, we had daughters
      only 6 months apart, but they never had a chance to grow up near
      each other.
      Finally when our children were teenagers Dawn's husband
      retired from the Army and they moved back to Michigan. At least we
      were in the same state!
      When our youngest sons were 15 years old, Dawn and her son
      came for a visit one summer to our house far out in the
      countryside. Somehow we realized that it was again August – 20 some
      years since we had spent that wonderful night on the hill watching
      falling stars.
      This time as we set out into the warm starry night, our
      sons accompanied us. This time it was our sons who pointed at the
      falling stars. How time had flown. We had survived many things,
      and numerous other ups and downs. But always - no matter the miles
      in between – we had found a way through letters and phone calls to
      keep in touch through good times and bad.
      Tears trickled down my cheeks in thankfulness at the
      blessing I had always had in my cousin – no my "sister". We
      exchanged a long hug when we returned from our starlight walk.
      Truly, she was my friend who "sticketh closer than a sister".
      Now, both our sons are serving in the armed forces. Stepping
      out into life, just as we once were.

      * * *
      The turning point in the process of growing up is when you
      discover the core of strength within you that survives all the hurt.
      ~~Max Lerner

      * * *

      Simple Taco Casserole

      1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
      1 1/2 c cheddar cheese -- shredded
      2 c baked tortilla chips -- crumbled
      1 1 1/4-ounce package taco seasoning
      1 med. onion -- chopped
      1 t chili powder
      1 t cumin
      1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
      2 c water
      1 15 oz. can black beans -- rinsed and drained

      TOPPINGS
      Lowfat sour cream
      Shredded lettuce
      Sliced tomatoes
      Chopped black olives
      Any options you like

      Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, brown beef and
      onions; drain fat. Add taco seasoning, chili powder, cumin, tomato
      sauce, black beans and water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Gently fold in
      corn chips and most of cheese. Put into casserole dish. Sprinkle
      remaining cheese on top. Serve with a big green salad. (Note:
      draining and rinsing fat from this recipe greatly reduces calories.
      Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with toppings, as desired. Serves 6.

      * * *

      The best thing we can do for ourselves and the people in our
      lives is to love them unconditionally, forgive them without
      reservation and to accept them exactly as they are. ~~Iyanla Vanzant

      To love is to stop comparing. ~~ Maya Angelou

      * * *
      Recently I bought a string trimmer for the reasonable price of
      $10. at a yard sale. It looked barely used. Unfortunately, after the
      first time I used it, the string broke of inside the head and we
      could not figure out how to get the spool out (since it came without
      a manual). Not wanting to break it, we didn't know what else to
      try.
      I looked up the name brand on the internet, and the model
      number was on the trimmer. Would you believe the manual was
      downloadable, and in moments I had the information I needed to
      straighten out the string?

      If you are interested in a Simple LIfe Discussion Group where
      everyone exchanges ideas for Simple LIving, go to:

      for recipes,family fun ideas, gardeing tips, Faith,etc!

      Have a great week!