August is Slipping By!

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2004

      Monday is THE BIG day. Not just a BIG day, but we are talking
      THE REALLY BIG DAY. It's not every day the President of the United
      States comes to town (well, when you live rural, an hour away is
      just the same!). Whether you are for or against him in the tight-
      rope walk of election years, it's still a big day. I've never seen
      a president except on TV or in books. I've heard lots of speeches,
      been just plain angry or very impressed, but never been in the same
      air space-not ever.
      Some waited over night for a ticket. Some got up early in the
      morning for a ticket. Within 3 hours, they were all gone. Dad was
      the man who hit the road early for the tickets. Then there was the
      list - what to bring, what not to bring. No coolers, food, not
      even any signs – boo! And I was going to make a NICE one! But it
      didn't say no books. I never go anywhere without a book, although,
      I may be way too excited to read. We can also take cameras, but no
      video cameras.
      I don't really know many who have seen a president in person.
      My husband, Richard, shook hands with President Nixon, at the time
      of the Vietnam War when he was in the Army. Richard was stationed
      near Washington D. C. and whenever Nixon was near GI's in the train
      station, which was often, he always took time to speak to them. He
      always had an entourage of secret service agents around him, of
      course.
      So, I'm sure I won't get to shake hands or anything, with
      President Bush but just being there will be quite a thrill.
      I wonder if the president has any idea how happy we really are
      to welcome him to our area -how many people took off work, or got up
      early to see him? We will have stories to tell our grandchildren of
      how we got to see the president. What a day!
      * * *
      "The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination
      from ambush. It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference
      and undernourishment." ~~ Robert Hutchins, 1954

      "I do believe it is possible to create, even without ever
      writing a word or painting a picture, by simply molding one's inner
      life." ~~Esther Hillesum (1914-1943)

      * * *
      CAVATELLI

      1 1/2 lb. Italian sausage
      1 med. onion
      1/2 tsp. sweet basil
      2 tsp. garlic salt
      1 (12 oz.) can tomato paste
      1 (12 oz.) can pizza sauce
      1 pkg. lg. shell macaroni (Rigatoni)
      12 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated

      Fill medium saucepan 1/3 with water. Boil 1 1/2 pounds
      sausage. Push out of its skin. Dice onion, add to liquid and simmer
      1/2 hour. Add basil and garlic salt and simmer. Add tomato paste
      and pizza sauce. Boil macaroni until tender and drain. Layer
      macaroni, sauce and cheese in large casserole. Bake at 450 degrees
      for 20 minutes.
      * * *
      Simple Watering
      At this time of year, the garden needs lots of rain, but rain
      is few and far between. To make watering simple, let water run
      right out of your hose and direct at the root of the plant soak well
      (I count to 10 slowly for each plant). If your plants look nice and
      healthy, you are watering enough. You will need to do this every
      day or every other day, depending on your soil. (Check by sticking
      your finger in the soil 1"down, if there is moisture, no need to
      water.)

      The "Simple Life Family", an on-line discussion group for anyone
      seeking to live a simple life is open to anyone. To join, go to -
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplelifefamily/ . Click to
      join!

      Keeping it Simple,
      Sheryl Simons