Finding the Sweet Spot

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2004

      Finding the Sweet Spot

      Today, here in Michigan, it is absolutely perfect. The weather
      is in the 70's, there is a gentle breeze, skies are blue. Fluffy
      little clouds are floating by. The whole day is before us. What
      will we do with it? Will we step out into our little rowboat and
      drop a line in the lake to catch a few bluegills for the grill?
      Will we get out the kite and run along the hill giggling? Maybe we
      will take the dog for a walk or swing in a hammock with a good book
      or build a bird house. Today is the fudge center of a Tootsiepop, or
      the cherry in the middle of a chocolate covered cherry.
      When we work we go with happiness to clean a room, do the
      laundry, write that report, weed the garden or fix dinner.
      Maybe we could adopt the attitude that what ever it is that we
      have to do today, whether work or pleasure, it will be great – no it
      will be perfect! We will be enthusiastic. We will decide that
      today will be perfect no matter what comes. We will look for
      opportunities and when hard times come, and they will, we will turn
      them into learning experiences. We won't take the `easy way' just
      because we are too lazy to get our hands dirty. Every effort we
      have will be put into today and it will be easy and hard, and it
      will be perfect. And tomorrow, come rain or shine, we will do it all
      again. God has given everything purpose and meaning and we will
      look to learn from it.

      * * *
      Tips for Cut Flowers
      Cut flowers early in the morning.
      Cut stems at an angle with a sharp knife.
      Remove all leaves that will be under the water. Green leaves
      underwater just promote bacteria growth.
      Change the water daily.
      Cut stems 1/4 to 1/2 inch each day.
      Add a little vodka to your water.
      Do not put cut flowers in direct sunlight.
      How would you like to extend the life of your fresh flowers 5 days
      longer? Adding a capful of hydrogen peroxide every time you change
      the water kills stem clogging bacteria which wilt the flowers
      prematurely.

      Simple Wisdom
      I do not want to die. . . until I have faithfully made the most of
      my talent and cultivated the seed that was placed in me until the
      last small twig has grown. ~~ Kathe Kolliqitz

      The world is full of happiness, and plenty to go round, if you are
      only willing to take the kind that comes your way. The whole secret
      is in being pliable. ~~Jean Webster

      Happiness comes when we stop wailing about the troubles we have, and
      offer thanks for all the troubles we don't have. ~~Author unknown

      * * *
      Tip Top Clean

      To keep the top of the refrigerator clean, get some fabric and cut
      it to the size of the top of the refrigerator, adding 1/2" all
      around for a hem. I made two for very little cost. You just throw it
      in the washer when it gets soiled. This works for other appliances,
      such as a microwave or cupboard that is near the ceiling, too! For
      a more disposable material, you could use paper towel, newspapers,
      or table cover paper from a roll (especially where it wouldn't
      show!).
      * * *
      Yesterday at a wedding shower for my daughter Holly, (two weeks
      to go!) I was talking to my cousin Mary. She said her favorite part
      of this column is the recipes, because they are so easy. I love
      good, easy recipes. When Mary tried some of my quick and easy
      strawberry pie she asked me to print it for everyone. Here it is.
      I know you will love it if you are a strawberry lover! Here is the
      sheet cake version for a crowd or potluck. Its just as easy. If you
      don't need one so big, just cut it in half for a 9 X 13.

      Easy Strawberry Pie

      Cookie Crust

      1 1/2 flour
      2 T. sugar
      dash of salt

      mix these three ingredients. Stir in 1/3 cup of oil, then 3 T. of
      milk. Consistency should be a nice, easy to handle ball of dough –
      not runny. Spread out on sheet cake using large spoon (fingers work
      best!) Bake @ 375 for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.

      Filling

      2 boxes strawberry jello
      6 T. cornstarch
      ½ c sugar
      4 c Boiling Water
      1 1/2 quarts sliced strawberries

      Mix 2 boxes of jello, cornstarch and sugar. Mix with water and bring
      to boil. Cool. Mix in strawberries. Spread on crust. Top with
      large container whipped topping. Makes about 20 pieces of
      strawberry pie.

      Friends and Family can sign up at