Simple Summer!

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003

      Simple Inspiration

      You may have never heard of a young man, Wesley Britt, unless you
      are from Alabama. Wesley is a 6 foot 8 inch, 312 pound lineman for
      the Crimson Tide. Wesley was one of 22 players chosen to the
      Playboy All-American team, which included a week of pampering at the
      playboy mansion. Who would not jump at the chance? Wesley, for
      one. Wesley is a committed Christian who simply said that wasn't
      the sort of thing he thought he should do. Instead, Wesley spends a
      lot of time visiting churches and inspiring young people with the
      importance of embracing and living out your faith.

      Thanks, Wesley, for reminding us about what really matters.

      * * *
      "It's really important for me to be around and involved with people
      who are inspiring and who inspire me." -- Chris Cornell

      The hardest job kids face today is learning good manners without
      seeing any. - Fred Astaire

      * * *

      Simple Gardening

      A couple weeks ago I began asking my online friends as well as some
      locals I found hanging out at Christie's Potting Shed in Marion,
      what their favorite flowers were. Here are some responses I have
      gotten so far:

      Several people said that their favorite garden flower is the Hosta.
      No matter what the weather be in spring, summer ,or fall. they
      always seem to look good, neat and tidy. They die back for the
      winter, but in spring they resurrect and start all over
      again.~~Deanne Downs Chris from "The Shed" agreed, adding that they
      are so easy to care for.

      My favourite garden flower is the hollyhock. As children we used to
      play with the flowers, putting them together to make dolls. I
      gathered some seeds from Mackinac Island and now have some plants
      growing in my garden. What a joy to see them come up each year.
      ~~Elaine Swartz ~ I have to agree with my Aunt Elaine. Old
      fashioned single Hollyhocks are my favorites, a cottage garden
      staple.

      Favorite garden flower... anything that blooms year after year
      without being taken up, replanted, etc. Start with crocus, tulips,
      daffodils, go to lilac and peony's, then come the roses and daisy's,
      and I have mums that bloom with the snow.~~ Jackie Beagle, Cadillac

      My favorite garden flower is the Stargazer Lily. I think they're
      beautiful, and without knowing that a dear friend once gave me a
      dozen bulbs of them to plant at my new house. When I left that
      house I took some with me to plant at the new place. I smile every
      time I see them.~~Gardening friend

      Aileen Keller's favorite is the miniature rose. Here is what she
      told me:

      When my mother passed away from cancer in June 2000, I stayed with
      my father for six months to help him cope and sell the house and
      move. While I was there I watered my mother's backyard garden. I
      am not a gardener myself and don't know much about it but I could
      really appreciate her beautiful garden with the peach and plum
      trees, and the different varieties of plants and flowering bushes.

      My favorite were the miniature rose bushes. My mother had several
      of them planted in the garden and along the side and front of the
      house. They were so beautiful, yellows, whites, reds and a flame
      colored orange-red variety. They smelled so wonderful. She had
      several bunches of these dried roses around the house and I dried
      and took some home with me as a memento of her lovely garden.

      I will always miss my mother and the garden she so loved. But now I
      have special reminders of both in my own home.
      * * *

      Thanks to all! Let me know what your favorite flower is and we will
      keep printing them this summer. My e-mail is
      thesimple_life@....

      Simple Family Ideas

      Summer is family time! We have 3 great grandkids and we are really
      looking forward to having some fun with them this summer. For one
      thing, I hope they will keep learning this summer, even though it is
      vacation. We are going to make some charts and if they read for ½
      hour a day, I will take them for icecream once a month, and at the
      end of summer I will take them all to the movies. The new
      movie "Finding Nemo" looks like a great family movie to go to this
      summer.

      The kids seem to enjoy doing whatever we do, so they will help in
      the garden and the kitchen – baking some cookies is a favorite, of
      course. When they get to stay for a few days, we will go swimming,
      read a bedtime story, and go for walks.The kids all love to help me
      find new rocks for the garden, and we get out the paint so they can
      paint their names on them. This year we may do some real rock
      painting and do some neat designs. We might get to throw in a
      camping weekend as well. Having kids around is so much fun. We get
      to be kids again with them! Campfires, marshmallows or s'mores, are
      just part of the fun.

      Keeping Summer Simple,
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2003
        THE SIMPLE LIFE

        This year hubby Richard wanted to plant one of his favorites –
        red potatoes. Fine with me. But fourteen pounds of seed
        potatoes??? I thought that was going a bit overboard for our first
        real crop, but, what the hey. Planted, potatoes just do their own
        thing, right? Well, that's what I thought. Until about two weeks
        ago. Richard mentioned something about finding a few potato bugs.
        No problem. He took care of it, right?
        We were out watering and found a few more. Now I was
        introduced to the potato bug family. Adults are hard shelled with
        black stripes on their backs. The larvae stage bugs are orange with
        spots and babies can be as small as pin heads. No matter what the
        size, they will munch away on potato plants, eventually destroying
        them. We promptly laid them to "rest". This morning I thought I
        would take a stroll into the "killing fields", opps, er, potato
        fields. Wow! Many of the plants were clear, but I killed quite a
        few of our little friends, who were obviously introducing
        more "friends" to our potatoes by laying orange eggs on the
        underside of the leaves. I may have to get desperate, but if we
        keep on top of it, maybe not. I really hate to go the chemical
        route. We will see. Maybe chili powder??? I did a little research
        and found that lady bugs are natural enemies of potato bugs. How
        come when we were infested with lady bugs a couple years ago, they
        weren't wiped out then? Robins, chickens, and other birds are also
        their natural enemies, so maybe I could put up a sign?
        I am quite puzzled by this. This is the first year we have
        planted potatoes here, so who told them where to find our potato
        plants? Oh well. I guess that's kind of like life, isn't it?
        Sometimes we see little things happening and just think the problem
        will go away. They don't. They only get bigger. Then, after a
        while, they get to astronomical proportions.
        We were in a restaurant this past week. A small boy would
        scream at the top of his lungs every so often, but it only lasted a
        few moments. Why did he do this? It worked. It seemed that if he
        screamed loud enough, he would get what he wanted. Its hard for a
        parent to ignore such behavior or leave the scene, but giving a
        child this much power is the beginning of a big problem.
        I mentioned a couple weeks ago about cabbage worms. Since I
        found them early and just picked them off my cabbages, I have had no
        further problem, but I am really keeping my eyes out for more! My
        cabbages are coming along really well. So, I will keep an eye on
        the potato bugs and see what happens.

        PS - My cousin Kathy Bradford, from Delaware, says that spraying the
        potato plants with a dishsoap spray will make the little buggers
        sick and discourage them from gobbling up our pretty potato plants.
        If you see her at the Gettysburg Reinactment next week, say 'HI' to
        her for me!

        SIMPLE WISDOM
        Sometimes the most sensible things are the hardest things to learn:

        The Second Ten Commandments

        1. Thou shall not worry, for worry is the most unproductive of all
        human activities.
        2. Thou shall not be fearful, for most of the things we fear never
        come to pass.
        3. Thou shall remember that when someone says something about you
        that isn't true, or is just plain hurtful, it is about them and not
        about you. You know the real truth and what other people think,
        really just doesn't matter in the long run.
        4. Thou shall face each problem as it comes. You can only handle one
        at a time anyway.
        5. Thou shall not take problems to bed with you, for they make very
        poor bedfellows.
        6. Thou shall not borrow other people's problems. They can better
        care for them than you can.
        7. Thou shall not try to relive yesterday for good or ill, it is
        gone forever. Concentrate on what is happening in your life and be
        happy now!
        8. Thou shall be a good listener, for only when you listen do you
        hear ideas different from your own. It is hard to learn something
        new when you are talking, and some people do know more than you do.
        9. Thou shall not become "bogged down" by frustration, for 90% of it
        is rooted in self-pity and will only interfere with positive action.
        10. Thou shall count thy blessings, never overlooking the small
        ones, for a lot of small blessings add up to a big one.

        * * *
        SIMPLE QUOTES

        "The best way to help the world is to start by loving each other,
        not blandly, blindly, but realistically, with understanding and
        forebearance and forgiveness." --Madeleine L'Engle
        "Intimacy between friends involves a nondominant love, as well as
        vulnerability. With a true friend we can share the deepest places of
        our hearts, the dark as well as the light. --Madeleine L'Engle

        SIMPLE RECIPE
        YUMMY BLACK FOREST CAKE
        Stir together 1 chocolate cake mix, 2 eggs, and 1 (21 oz) can of
        cherry pie filling. Put into greased 9 x 13 baking dish and bake at
        350 for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out
        clean. Frost with your favorite frosting or while cake is baking
        get a small saucepan and put in: 1/3 c milk, 5 tbls oleo or
        margarine, 1 cup sugar and bring to a boil. Boil 1 full minute and
        remove from heat, then add 1 cup chocolate chips and stir until
        smooth. When cake comes out of oven, pour on top. This cake is
        nice and moist.

        SIMPLE FAMILY FUN

        Here in Northern Michigan, we are not more than an hour from
        beautiful Lake Michigan. Sunday we visited Silver Lake, took a dune
        ride on Mac Woods Dune Rides – a really nice and fun ride around the
        dunes on a guided tour with a bit of humor and information thrown
        in – and visited the nearby lighthouse and took a swim in the
        wonderful big waves of Lake Michigan. The sand here is sugar sand
        with not a rock to be found and the water is very shallow a long way
        out. There are four wheelers and dune buggies to watch climbing the
        dunes or maybe just building a sand castle in the wet sand is more
        your style. Any way you slice it, a trip to the lake is a "must"
        for summer fun.

        Keeping Summer Simple,

        Sheryl

        Ps, be sure to pass this on to your friends who like the "Simple
        LIfe". They can go to the web site
        http://www.geocities.com/thesimple_life to sign up for free!