Veggie Gardening

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2004
      The Simple Life

      Good And Evil?

      Politics these days are disgusting. No one wants to listen to
      the rhetoric. In fact, we have become so apathetic that many of us
      don't even care if we vote. We don't know who to believe. Our
      forefathers, the men who put their lives on the line to sign their
      names to the Declaration of Independence would be thoroughly
      disgusted with us. "We fought for freedom, and you don't even cast
      a vote to defend that freedom?" they would say shaking their heads,
      thinking of the sacrifices they made for us.
      Remembering American History, our ancestors came to this country
      for religious freedom. They set sail across frigid seas in a tiny
      ship, losing many of their loved ones on the trip, and many more
      that first winter. But a handful survived. More came. They set up
      a democratic society, and then put it all on the line again to break
      from Great Britain. They did a pretty good job of setting us up
      with freedom to choose.
      But like normal children, we wanted more. Children always want
      more and then some. We weren't happy with what was good for us, we
      wanted it all – whatever "all" was!
      Dave Ramsey, financial expert recently said, "Everyone says
      that the economy is bad. The economy isn't bad, unless you are in
      debt. If you aren't in debt, the economy doesn't have much of an
      effect on you!" But Americans today aren't satisfied with all the
      good things we have, we want more – spending, that is. Bankruptcies
      are growing, growing, gone. We don't have time to be accountable.
      Just because we buy something does that mean we should have to pay
      for it? We are all paying for the bankruptcy rate in our nation.
      Recent surveys tell us that only 50% of Christians in our
      country even bother to vote. Some say that there is so much
      corruption in politics that they don't want to get involved, but do
      we have a choice? If the good people of this country aren't willing
      to vote, or become involved, who will? It doesn't cost but a few
      moments of our time to get registered to vote and exercise our right
      and our duty.
      We have lost the right to display the Ten Commandments on our
      courthouse walls, but we have the right to burn the flag of our
      great nation. We may soon lose the right to say "One Nation Under
      God" in the pledge of allegiance. How many of the rights our
      ancestors fought for will we have to lose before we realize that we
      are in a war for freedom?

      * * *
      Vegetable Gardening

      We are so used to picking up some vegetables from the store,
      will gardening become a thing of the past? Not if you try it and
      realize how easy growing your own fruits and vegetables can be. A
      small can of stewed tomatoes averages seventy-nine cents. For not
      much more of an investment, you can have rows of quart jars in your
      pantry! Six tomato plants are also about seventy-nine cents. A
      whole flat of plants, about 36 plants can be found for less than
      $8! It only takes 2 large to 4 medium size tomatoes to fill one
      quart jar. That will provide your family with several quarts of
      tomatoes from each plant. Or, if you love onions or potatoes, they
      don't even have to be canned – just stored properly.
      Financially speaking, gardening really MAKES you money. But
      wait until you pluck a ripe cherry tomato from the vine and pop that
      garden candy into your mouth! That alone – the incredible freshness
      and sweetness no produce stand can match – will convince you.
      Here are some gardening tips for first time vegetable gardeners.
      1. Go easy. You don't have to provide all the vegetables for your
      family the first year. Start with a few. The success of a few will
      convince you to keep on with fruit from the garden.
      2. Pick a few favorites. Don't buy out every kind of garden seeds
      the first year. Go for a few favorites. Try pumpkins and zucchini,
      or summer squash for some easy growers.
      3. Maybe a salad garden! Lettuce is easy, as are onions, spinach,
      a cucumber and a tomato plant. They can even be grown in a 1/2
      whiskey barrel. Add a few pansies for color (you can eat them right
      in your salad.
      4. It will take a few years to get them started, so you might want
      to put in a few fruit trees now, such as apples, peaches, or pears.
      5. While there are still a few chilly nights, check out a few books
      on vegetable gardening from the library, such as Lasagna Gardening
      by Rodale Press, or Victory Garden, or Square Foot Gardening – three
      of my favorites.
      6. With a little tender loving care, not much more than some
      watering and feeding, you can be sautéing zucchini and onions, or
      carving a few pumpkins.
      7. Think small garden, and you won't have to invest in any large
      equipment. One spade shovel will do. Pick an area that gets at
      least six hour sun each day. Away from trees is best because trees
      steal a lot of moisture from the soil. Remove the grass and weeds.
      Mix up the dirt and add compost or peat moss and dig in well. Plant
      at the appropriate times. Peas and onions and garlic can be planted
      early. Tomatoes, pumpkins, and squash all need to be planted after
      frost danger has passed.
      8. The added bonus is all that good exercise! Think of the money
      you will save on that gym membership.

      Several years ago, our whole family was out planting our sweet
      corn. The kids didn't really want to participate, but when the crop
      came in the corn was just delicious! One morning I made corn
      pancakes for breakfast (one of my favorites!) My youngest son was
      not a fan. He came home from school that day, and I asked how his
      day went. "Well, thanks to you, mom, I made a new friend!"
      "How is that?" I asked.
      "Well, when I told him we had corn pancakes for breakfast, I think
      he felt sorry for me, and now he's my friend!"
      So, you never know how a garden might come in handy!

      * * *

      Do things to make your day precious. ~~ Bernie Siegel

      Corn Pancakes

      Mix enough pancake mix for the number of people you will be
      feeding. Stir in fresh-from-the garden-corn kernels 1/2 cup to 2
      cups mix. Fry and serve with butter and syrup. If you can't wait
      for garden corn, canned and drained corn will substitute. You can
      also have a real feast by using apple slices, blueberries, bananas,
      or your favorite fruit for a variety. I always love to serve
      pancakes with applesauce.

      Please send in your favorite spring recipes and garden hints and I
      will share them with the group!

      Have a great week!

      to check out past issues, go to