More Gardening Hints!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5 1:34 PM
      ~~~The Simple Life~~~

      By Sheryl Simons

      Gardening Tips Part ll

      The robins are digging in the soft ground for worms. Waking in
      the morning is again music to my ears – the songbirds are back! We
      even heard the frogs singing the other night. I went to the mailbox
      the other noon and I could hear the geese honking but couldn't see
      them anywhere. I searched the skies and finally located them very
      high – so high they were ant size in a gentle breeze. The ground is
      drying daily and my mind is busily working on new garden plans for
      this year. First of all, I will be getting rid of a few nasty weeds
      before they can take hold. The longer they get a chance to start
      shooting out their roots, the harder they are to get rid of.
      Tips for getting started on flowers:

      1. Seeds or plants - that is the question? Some plants are very
      easy to start from seed. Marigold, cleome, sweet alyssum, cosmos,
      bachelor buttons, and there are many more. You just have to follow
      the package directions and keep the seeds moist until they sprout.
      Some plants, such as sweet alyssum will be blooming in a month. But
      here in the north, we often buy started plants which will give us a
      few weeks head start on blooms.
      Some people do a combination, buy a few plants – a flat – and
      plant a few seeds to fill in shortly after.

      2. There are four types of flowers you will likely want to get
      to know:
      a. Annuals: These plants grow, bloom, and die out in one
      year. After they bloom the flowers are fertilized and seeds are
      produced. With only rare exceptions, you will either buy new plants
      next year, or plant fresh seeds. Annuals bloom all summer once they
      get started. Keep a pair of scissors in your garden apron to snip
      of faded bloom to keep these plants blooming well.
      b. Biennials: These plants have a life span of two years. The
      first year they do not bloom but work on building a healthy plant.
      The second year they bloom, produce seeds, and usually die.
      Hollyhocks are true biennials.
      c. Perennials: These plants usually take two years to bloom,
      but may live for years and years. The flowers may last for only two
      weeks. If you clip them back before the seeds can be produced, they
      may bloom twice in one year.
      d. Bulbs: In Michigan and other cold areas, bulbs such as
      tulips and daffodils are planted in fall for early spring color.
      The bulbs actually need the cold weather to bloom. Some bulbs will
      last for years and multiply, others will die out.

      3. Decide on plants. Is the area sunny or shady? Pick plants such
      as impatiens for shade, or marigold for sun. Seed packages and
      plants will tell if a plant needs sun or shade. Pick several colors
      that you think look good together. You may want just one kind of
      flower for a simple statement. I remember seeing a lovely garden of
      lavender petunias and yellow marigolds. With the variety of plants
      available, you can even choose colors that compliment the colors of
      your home. For a cottage garden look, pick lots of plants, keeping
      the taller plants toward the back.

      3. Now comes the fun part – preparing the garden! Remove the
      top several inches of grass and weeds in the area of the garden. Be
      sure to dig deep enough to remove the grass roots. The weeds will
      try to choke out the flowers, so you want to get rid of them. You
      can also chemically remove the weeds, but you will then have to dig
      up or roto-till the area. Add compost, peat moss, or aged manure.
      Now plant, water well, and mulch to help hold moisture. Feed weekly
      with plant food.
      See how easy that was??? Just don't let plants dry out and fry. If
      you plan a vacation, maybe your neighbor would water your plants if
      you water theirs! Get the kids involved as much as possible.

      Next week: Vegetables!
      * * *
      "One filled with joy preaches without preaching." --Mother Teresa

      "Sometime in your life you will go on a journey. It will be the
      longest journey you have ever taken. It is the journey to find
      yourself." ~ Katherine Sharp ~

      * * *

      Light and Easy Orange Dessert for Easter

      1 box orange cake mix
      1 small box orange gelatin
      1 cup boiling water
      1/2 cup cold water
      1 small box instant vanilla pudding
      1 cup milk
      1 teaspoon vanilla
      1 small container Cool Whip

      Bake the orange cake (9x13" pan) according to the directions. Poke
      holes in the cake while it is still warm. Make the gelatin with 1
      cup of boiling water. Mix in cold water. Pour over the top of the
      cake. Cool completely.

      Topping Make vanilla pudding with 1 cup milk and the vanilla. Mix
      in the whipped topping. Spread on top of the cake. Chill.

      * * *

      Somewhere in the midst of Easter Bunnies, Easter Egg Hunts, and
      fluffy baby ducks, find a few minutes to read the REAL EASTER STORY
      to your children or grandchildren. Even though you will be dressing
      up in your new Easter dresses and bonnets and attending an Easter
      Service, help you family to know what Easter means to you. Each one
      in our family needs to know that Christ died – AND ROSE – just for
      them.

      Still Keeping it Simple,
      Sheryl

      To visit "The Simple Life" web site, go to

      Invite your friends!

      Happy Gardening and ***Remember*** Jesus is the REason for Easter!!!