    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 8, 2004

      Defining Success in Your Life

      What is success? Pulitzer Prize winner? President of the
      U.S.A.? President of Student Council? Fame? Fortune? Do you have
      to win an award for what it is you do best? Success is not usually
      something that just happens to us. Success is not winning the
      lottery. Success is something we earn by hard work, accomplishment,
      and planning. Mother Teresa is a great example of success even
      thought she rarely had a penny to her name. She succeeded at who
      and what she wanted to be – against the odds of poverty and gender.
      You cannot be a great dad just by having kids. You work at
      it. You put the kids needs in front of your own wants.
      Great marriages don't just happen. You plan to spend special
      time together, listen to each other and encourage each other to
      greatness. You are there in the hard times and the happy times.
      Succeeding at your job happens when you do your best. You
      think about how to make your job enjoyable. You treat people with
      consideration and respect. You realize that your job is a big part
      of your life. People who are happy at work, have more overall
      happiness.
      True success is when your hand and heart work together.
      Success means integrity. To be successful when you are trying to
      hide something you are not proud of is not success.
      Success means not giving up. A wife and mother was a terrible
      cook. Everyone teased her that she couldn't boil water. She kept
      working at it, sought advice from great cooks she knew, and she
      became a successful cook. She still got some teasing, but now she
      also got compliments!

      True success endures because it is built on God ideas rather
      than merely good ideas. –~~JoAnn Wray

      * * *
      Simple Mix Ideas

      Taco-Burrito Seasoning:

      1/3 cup chili powder
      2 tsp. each cumin, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, and onion
      powder

      For Sloppy Joe mix - leave out the cumin and red pepper of above.

      Depending on your family's tastes, you can adjust the amounts for
      mild or hot. Store packets are $1. or more, but homemade versions
      cost just pennies. Don't be afraid to adjust to your tastes. If you
      like the convenience of the packets, use 15 minutes on a Saturday to
      mix some up, pop it in a jar or baggie, and there you go.
      Tartar Sauce - add some sweet pickle relish to mayonnaise or salad
      dressing.
      Add a couple drops of balsamic or red wine vinegar to taste.

      Arby's Horsey sauce is made by adding a small amount of horseradish
      to mayo to your liking.

      Cocktail sauce is a mixture of ketchup and horseradish.

      * * *

      Maybe being a `success' is just being the best you can be!

      Have a great week!

      Give your friends a chance to sign up for this newsletter! Click
      below!

      Message 2 of 23 , May 17, 2004

        Just listen. The other night, when warm weather finally hit, I
        went to open the window. A symphony of birds, frogs, and all manner
        of night sounds filled the sky. I have been flinging open windows
        ever since. Winter is so silent, and the simple songs of spring
        are so welcome.
        We have also been inundated with showers. Rain several times
        a day, and often coming down in sheets have swamped our yard and
        garden. It will take several days of dry to be able to even walk on
        the garden. My friend Betty, who has raised beds reports her peas,
        lettuce and several other crops are up and running. Just one bonus
        to raised beds! So I'm still waiting to get on the garden, but
        there is MORE rain in the forecast. One good thing, our water
        levels are coming back, which were well below normal.

        Simple Summer Savings

        To get out of debt and stay there is the idea, right? Just
        think of the freedom you have when every last penny doesn't go to
        pay bills. Many of the things we spend money on we don't give a
        thought to. We easily spend our nickels and dollars while big
        ticket items seem out of reach. Some people spend $3 to $4 on a
        coffee before work. It takes only seconds to make a pot of coffee
        every morning and put it in an insulated cup. Or try getting it
        ready to turn on the night before. Some coffee pots even come with
        a timer. Or bring a pot to work and share with other employees.
        Want a flavored coffee? Still no excuse. An $8 bag of
        specialty coffee is MUCH less money than buying just one cup every
        day. Mix flavored coffee half and half with your favorite regular.
        You won't miss the flavor at all, and you will make that expensive
        coffee last twice as long.
        Kids drinks. Ouch! They can really put a whole in the old
        pocketbook. Don't go on a trip to the grocery store without taking
        a cooler of drinks and snacks from home. I recommend buying a 6 or
        8 pack of water and refilling them at home. You can even fill them
        ¾ full and pop them in the freezer. They melt quickly in summer
        heat. Water is best, but if your kids want flavor once in a while,
        make sugar free koolaid at home and fill your bottles with this.
        Keep this right next to the backpack of color books and small
        toys you keep in the car for long trips. Make sure the kids pick up
        before you arrive home each time. If you must buy soda pop, don't
        buy singles. Either buy 2 liters or 12 pack cans, or whatever is on
        sale. Plastic pop bottles can be refilled from a 2 liter bottle.
        Keep `em in the fridge when you need to grab one. 10 seconds at
        home is better than spending $1.25 and 10 minutes to stop! Never
        give a kid a whole can of pop or juice. Split one between two kids
        by pouring into a cup. They can take turns with the can if they
        want to.
        1/4 to 1/3 of Americans food budget goes to beverages! DRINK
        WATER!
        Milk savings. A friend told me that with rising milk prices
        she buys whole milk and mixes it 1/2 and 1/2 with water in a empty
        jug at home. Her family thinks its 2%! Saves 2$ a day for some
        families – that's $14 dollars a week X 52 = $728 a year! Really
        adds up, doesn't it?

        Clothing
        If you are available at yards sale time, typically Fridays or
        Saturday mornings, GO! Kids love new clothes, they don't care where
        they came from (unless they are older!) I recently bought 4 new (to
        me) tops at a yard sale for $4 each. I'd have spent at least $36.
        at a store. They were all in perfect condition. A friend even
        commented on what a nice top I had on. Don't overlook the curbs,
        either. My friend saw four ceramic boy and girl figures about 3
        feet tall. She brought them home and painted them, gave one pair to
        a friend, and put one pair in her garden. They look just like brand-
        new!

        Simple Latte at Home
        Mix 1/2 cup strong coffee with 1/2-3/4 cup of warm milk. Save $2 by
        doing this instead of buying a latte on the way to work every day.
        Add cinnamon, or sugar to make it just the way you like it!

        See how simple it is to save a few bucks! Just think of some
        ways you can save some $$$ for a rainy day.

        Send in your favorite ideas for saving money this summer!!!!

        thesimple_life@...

        * * *
        "Giving birth is little more than a set of muscular contractions
        granting passage of a child. Then the mother is born." ~~Erma Bombeck

        "Real learning is a process of discovery and if we want it to
        happen, we must create the kind of conditions in which discoveries
        are made. We know what these are. They include time, leisure,
        freedom, and lack of pressure." ~~ John Holt, Learning All the Time
        * * *
        Keep Clothes from Fading

        When washing colored or printed material for the first time, add one
        tsp. Epsom salts to one
        gallon of water. The material with neither fade nor run.

        KEEPING FLOWERS FRESHER
        LONGER

        For best and long lasting results with your fresh cut
        flowers, be sure to cut them early in the morning. They will be
        moist and not heat stressed during this time of the day. Also be
        sure to use very sharp pruning shears when cutting. Place the
        flowers in water right away.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 17, 2004

          "To those who would crush religious freedom, our message is plain:
          You may jail your believers. You may close their churches,
          confiscate their Bibles and harass their rabbis
          and priests, but you will never destroy the love of God and freedom
          that burns in their hearts. They will triumph over you." --Ronald
          Reagan, in remarks at White House Briefing on Religious Freedom in
          the Soviet Union, 1988

          Ronald Reagan was a great man. I don't mean a good president,
          but a great man. Not only did world leaders speak highly of him,
          but his own children told such warm stories about their father, we
          know he was a hero without ever being an actor, a soldier, or even
          the President of the United States. Many of us didn't know or didn't
          remember what kind of man he was, what kind of character he
          exhibited. They spoke of a man, busy yes, but not too busy to
          spend time with his children, to help bury a turtle or give a pony
          ride.
          Some complained about the airtime Reagan's funeral received
          this past week. Others were indifferent. Some were glad to get
          reacquainted with a man who, no matter what your political views,
          was an outstanding leader in our great nation.
          We also got to know what kind of husband Ronald Reagan was.
          Ronald and Nancy were said to have greeted each other after five
          hours as if they had been apart for 5 months. Their letters, which
          they never tired of writing, tell a story of deep and true
          affection.
          Some might have thought that Nancy has been a prisoner of her
          husband's illness these past 10 years, but I believe that Ronald
          would have done the same for Nancy. She never gave a thought to
          where else they might be, or what they were missing, but just that
          it was where she belonged – by his side as much as possible.
          Nancy also showed incredible strength this past grueling
          week, with all the state ceremonies, she must have been exhausted,
          but never gave in to her own weariness.
          Reagan, like any other president, made errors in judgment -
          made mistakes – and there were those who disagreed with him often,
          but he left a legacy of faith, honor and service to family and
          country.
          Mr. Reagan, we have learned from you. Thank you for being a
          part of our simple world.
          * * * * *
          When we come to the edge of the light we know, and are about to
          step off into the darkness of the unknown, of this we can be
          sure.... either God will provide something solid to stand on
          or .....we will be taught to fly.

          Simple Gardening

          Getting Rid of Moles

          Try taking that old used kitty litter and fill the mole holes that
          pop up in your yard. They won't be back. Or, where there is a
          tunnel, dig out part of one and dump it in. It seem the moles are
          afraid of cats and their smell. Good way to get rid of used kitty
          litter, too! If you don't have a cat, you probably know someone who
          does!

          *********
          Don't call the Plumber!
          Run the hot water full blast and fill a bucket with the hottest
          water possible. Then pour it down the toilet. Do this three times
          and viola! The hot water will clear the toilet slick as a whistle.
          Also try boiling the water to a rolling boil and it will clear
          drains quickly and easily.
          Clears it every time. Try it. See for yourself. The cost is a lot
          cheaper than a plumber's house call.

          * * * * *

          Simple Recipes

          Cool and Summery Fat-free Dessert
          Orange Creamcicle

          1 box (3 oz.) sugar free orange Jello
          1 box (3 oz) sugar free vanilla instant pudding
          1 container (8 oz.) fat free Cool Whip
          1 small can mandarin oranges - drained

          Dissolve jello in 1 cup boiling water.
          Add 1 cup ice water.
          Beat in 1 box vanilla instant pudding (dry).
          Fold in Cool Whip and mandarin oranges.
          Chill. This dessert will become thick in less
          than 30 minutes.

          Easy Dinner

          During WWII, there were rations of meat. Mothers would use one
          pound of ground beef to make chili and put it over macaroni noodles
          to stretch for a large family. Sounds Yummy!

          Don't rely on someone to forward this to you! Take a moment and go
          to:

          sign up for yourself!

          Also - send me pictures of your favorite garden plant and I will
          post them in the photos for everyone to see!

          See you next week!
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 12, 2004
            The Simple Life – The Best of Summer

            Family reunions are amazing gifts we give ourselves, aren't
            they? The food is great, but it doesn't matter if we have steak or
            hot dogs (though, potato salad is a must!). It's so much fun to
            have everyone bring their own special dish. Just getting together is
            what counts – wherever it happens. Once a year, rain or shine, we
            laugh, talk, and enjoy each other for a few hours. We reminisce and
            make plans – we just are together for one day. We sit and watch the
            kids take a dip or play volleyball. We catch up on careers and
            hobbies – we reconnect. Then we must separate again for another
            year. (If we live far apart, anyhow!)
            There are sad things – my grandmother passed away this year –
            and there are surgeries and lost jobs, etc. but there are many happy
            things, as well – new babies, weddings, and happy events. Most of
            us – all of us who are there - are a year older, and hopefully
            wiser. Our children have grown – one cousin grew 8 inches this
            year! – and all have had accomplishments and achievements.
            There is much to catch up on. We may meet new cousins we didn't
            know we had. One cousin has started up a web site full of old family
            photos on the internet – full of old photos many of us haven't ever
            seen. Now we can all download and print them!
            Friendships are renewed, ideas shared, a few recipes are
            exchanged, prayers are said for those not able to attend or serving
            our country in distant lands, and we all go home richer and feeling
            blessed.
            * * *
            Simple Life Quotes
            "Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."
            ~~Anthony Brandt
            "All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a
            single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~~ Winston
            Churchill

            Picnic Style Corn on the Cob
            The next time you have corn on the cob, get a large mouth glass
            jar. (like a pickle jar) Fill it 3/4 of the way with hot to very hot
            water and then add a stick of butter. The water will melt the butter
            but it will float on top of the water. Put a stick in the end of the
            corn and dunk it in the bottle and it will coat the corn and will
            not miss a spot!
            * * *
            Simple Weekend Ideas
            It's summer, right? We can't wait for Monday to get back to work,
            right? Those reports, phone calls, meetings – just what makes
            summer go `round – NOT! We wait for the weekends! And then what
            happens? They fly by and it's Monday again. So, what can we do to
            enjoy them more? Here are some ideas.

            1) Plan something fun. Use the weekend for fun activities. Take the
            kids to a park or get together with friends. Go biking, hiking,
            flea market shopping, sight seeing, or to a fair or carnival. Do
            something out of the ordinary that you consider pure fun - like
            reading a magazine when your mind insists you should be cleaning. Do
            your cleaning in short spurts after work, and get the kids and hubby
            to help. Weekends are TOO SHORT for too much work! Don't worry
            about a mess!

            2) Don't sleep in. If you need more sleep go to bed earlier during
            the week. Sleeping in not only steals your time, but it also makes
            you more sluggish. Get up early and enjoy the peace and quiet! Have
            coffee on the deck. Stroll through the garden and enjoy all the
            work you've done to the yard. Have blueberry pancakes and crisp
            bacon for a family breakfast!

            3) Create a 15-minute task list.
            Make a list of all those pesky little tasks that eat up your
            Saturdays. You will be amazed at how much weekend time you
            can "free-up" for other more energizing activities if you stop at
            the cleaners, change burned out light bulbs, do a load of laundry,
            reorganize a drawer, clean out the
            refrigerator or weed the garden during the week.

            4) Stay out of the grocery store. Shop during the week when stores
            are less crowded. Plan ahead, get organized and shop with a list
            during the week. Unless of course you consider pushing a cart
            through crowded aisles and standing in long lines fun!

            5) Take Turns with Dinner: Plan for a night off from the usual
            mealtime duties. Call for pizza or order carry out or home delivery
            from your favorite restaurant. Use paper plates and make it easy on
            yourself. Or if cooking is fun for you, prepare a gourmet feast –
            or pot luck! and ask your guests to help with the clean up.

            6) Turn off the TV. Get out and do something interesting! Volunteer
            in the community or spend time with someone who would enjoy your
            company. While canoeing or hiking, pick up trash along the way, to
            do something for mankind.

            7) We know some work has to be done on the weekend. Plan a big home-
            improvement project for a weekend or two weekends of the month. Get
            friends and family to pitch in. Have fun while you are working
            together!

            Relax, be creative, explore new ideas, have some fun, take a break
            from your usual tasks, celebrate life! You will be smiling on
            Monday and your co-workers will wonder what you were up to over the
            weekend!

            Keeping Summer Simple,
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 26, 2004
              ~~ The Simple Life ~~
              by Sheryl Simons

              I was tickled to death watching my young nephew Jon at the
              family reunion. My kids are all grown up and I'm not around young
              children that often. Now Jon is almost 3. He's always a pleasure
              to watch, so sunny and quiet – but this day in particular you could
              almost hear his brain in gear.
              Our family reunion takes place at my Aunt and Uncles place near
              Gladwin, MI. There is always a table set up under the large Maple
              tree by the back door that has large thermos jugs of ice tea,
              lemonade, and Kool-Aid for the kids. As my aunt and I sat chatting,
              we began to watch little Jon, who was just a bit out of range of his
              parents' eyesight. He was pushing the button on one of the big
              thermos jugs and filling a glass with blue Kool-Aid. Since there
              was already another full glass there on the table, it seemed he was
              just having fun filling cups with drink. Pretty harmless. We began
              to giggle. This time he began to take a drink, maybe thinking that
              if he drank more juice he could put more juice in the cup. He
              seemed to really be enjoying watching that blue liquid flow into the
              plastic cups. Sure enough, after a few big gulps, he went back to
              filling the cup. Now this is the essence of "the simple life" if
              there ever is.
              Here was little Jon (who's really quite a bruiser for an almost
              3 year old), and there was my aunt and I just sitting there having a
              good laugh watching him innocently play with a big thermos jug and a
              cup. The sun was shining on the pleasant day. All around us were
              the hum of people talking who hadn't seen each other in nearly a
              year, we'd had plenty of good food to eat, and truly a good time was
              had by all. Of course, we had to laugh at all the juice that little
              boy was drinking and, of course, what goes in must come out -
              eventually. His father caught on to what he was up to, so then Jon
              innocently just brought him a full cup of juice, and then went and
              got the other for himself, almost pretending that he hadn't really
              been having so much fun with that wonderful invention called a
              thermos jug. Later that day, I saw Jon sneak back to that table
              every chance he could to fill another glass or once just to watch
              that juice pour right down on the ground. Well, at least one of us
              was having a great time! It's amazing what a little kid can do with
              a new discovery.
              I can't help wondering what else Jon will learn from this world
              he is just beginning to investigate. Will he grow to see the world
              as a happy place filled with love and people who care about him?
              What will he learn from Sunday School, public school, books,
              television, his neighborhood? Fifteen years or so from now, I hope
              Jon sees a world in which a little boy can still play with a jug of
              Kool-aid and do no harm.
              If your kids are all grown, I hope you get a chance this summer
              to watch a little kid exploring his world and finding out what a
              great place it can be.
              * * *
              It is essential to learn to enjoy life. It really does not make
              sense to go through the motions of existence if one does not
              appreciate as much of it as possible. ~~Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

              "When we look to the unborn child, the real issue is not when life
              begins, but when love begins." ~~ The late Pennsylvania Gov. Robert
              Casey

              * * *

              Green Swimmer Hair???

              Summer brings lots of chances to swim, but for blonds the chlorine
              can turn your hair green! Try washing it out with a mixture of your
              regular shampoo and baking soda. It may take two applications, but
              it usually take the green out. To prevent green hair – wet your
              hair first from a shower or tap. Already wet hair will not soak in
              the chlorine like dry hair. You can also apply conditioner before
              you swim. Just apply, but don't rinse it out. Then after swimming,
              wash and dry as usual. Your hair will nice and silky soft.

              * * *
              Here is a great recipe for all those cherry tomatoes that are
              yummy! I will be harvesting my first tomatoes very soon. If you
              can't have bacon, I think you could substitute tuna salad, egg
              salad, or any number of fillings!

              BLT Bites

              16 to 20 cherry tomatoes
              1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
              1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
              1/3 cup chopped green onion
              3 tbsps. grated Parmesan cheese
              2 tbsps. snipped fresh parley

              Cut a thin slice off of each tomato top. Scoop out and discard
              pulp. Turn
              the tomato upside down on a paper towel to drain. In a small bowl,
              mix together
              remaining ingredients. Spoon into tomatoes. Refrigerate for several
              hours.

              * * *
              "It is chiefly through books that we enjoy the intercourse with
              superior minds... In the best books, great men talk to us, give us
              their most previous thought, and pour their souls into ours. God be
              thanked for books." --William Ellery Channing

              SPECIAL NOTE:

              I am contemplating starting a "Simple Life" Discussion Group. If
              you are interested, please send me an e-mail and let me know. We
              will discuss family ideas, recipes, faith, family values, and, of
              course, gardening ideas.

              thesimple_life@...

              if you are interested in sharing! I will probably need one or two
              co-moderators to help me with the messages. I look forward to
              hearing from you. This is your chance to share your ideas, and not
              just listen to mine!
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 10, 2005
                Death And Taxes???

                Who ever came up with the idea that death and taxes were the
                only certainties, was a bit misguided. Death, taxes, yes, but how
                about being treated unfairly?
                When I was a kid I had this horrible bus driver named Sue.
                That long ago, and I still remember her name. She had long reddish
                hair and long fingernails, and in those days, she could smoke while
                driving bus! I always tried to sit toward the back, just to get
                away from that terrible smell.
                Sue wanted order on the bus. Now, I can't blame her there, but
                I was an orderly bus rider. I thought school was like a torture
                chamber and the last afternoon bell was my ticket to freedom. I was
                just minutes from a snack maybe a chore or two and then freedom to
                ride bikes or play baseball on the corner. But first – the bus
                ride!
                Sue had a very annoying habit of stopping the bus for what
                seemed forever, just to thwart a small bit of chaos. She'd
                holler, "I'm not moving this bus an inch until it's quiet back
                there!" I sat innocently in my seat, gazing out at the scenery or
                lack it, just wishing that bus would get back in motion and take me
                home to the neighborhood where fun with my friends clicked away with
                each moment of the clock until we'd all be scrambling home for
                dinner. And so I waited until the fracas was over, fingers tapping,
                and I did eventually get home.
                We all get treated unfairly. It's inevitable. We trust and
                that trust is destroyed. A first boyfriend breaks up with us, we
                lose jobs for unknown reasons, we wait in doctor offices for two
                hours before our we get called, we get home with the wrong pizza, we
                get a ticket when everyone on the highway is passing us! We all
                have been treated unfairly, but that doesn't make it much easier to
                know were not alone.
                But what if it is for a good reason? Maybe it was meant to
                happen for us to learn a lesson about how it feels so that we will
                learn to treat others with love and fairness. Still doesn't make it
                easy, does it? Maybe when we are in that situation we will act with
                kindness and understanding. There is truth, but we have to ask for
                it.
                The really hard part is helping our kids learn from
                unfairness. They get cut from the team, or get sick on the day of
                the field trip. Ouch! The more we take it in stride, the better.
                Sure it hurts for a while, but there will be more opportunities.
                A friend recently lost a job she really loved. But she refuses
                to be upset. She honestly believes there is a better situation just
                waiting around the corner for her. I bet she's right.

                * * *

                Simple Rice Cooking on the Stove

                Put one cup of water for each 1/2 cup of rice into saucepan. Bring
                to a boil, turn down to simmer, set the timer for 14 minutes, and
                put the lid on - all in that order to avoid it boiling over. To be
                sure, add a spoon of oleo in he pan with the rice and water. In 14
                minutes turn off the heat, take off the lid, and your rice will be
                fluffy.

                Simple Microwave Rice

                Using a microwave rice cooker, put 1 c rice, 2 c water and
                sometimes a t or so of chicken flavoring in the cooker. Microwave
                on high for 20 min and fluff. Rice is better than perfect--not
                sticky, not dry. ( adding 1T of olive oil -this separates the rice
                easier.) Also, long grain rice is less sticky than short grain.
                (Check your microwave recipe book for exact times for your microwave
                rice.)

                Simple Baked Batter- Dipped Veggies

                1 c instant potato flakes
                1/3 c grated Parmesan cheese
                1/2 t celery salt
                1/4 t garlic powder
                1/4 c butter melted and cooled
                2 eggs
                4-5 c fresh bite size vegetables (mushrooms carrots broccoli peppers
                zucchini or your choice)
                dipping sauce (Ranch dressing)

                * * *
                Simple Quotes

                "There is a direct relationship between joy and effort. The joy of
                success is in ratio to the amount of effort expended to achieve it."
                ~~ Denis Waitley

                "I can't imagine a person becoming a success who doesn't give this
                game of life everything he's got." ~~ Walter Cronkite

                "There is real magic in enthusiasm. It spells the difference between
                mediocrity and accomplishment." ~~ Norman Vincent Peale

              • Sheryl
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 17, 2005
                  ~~ Back to the Past!~~

                  For a few years when I was a kid, we lived in Flushing, MI.
                  Our family bought a house on Main Street that needed lots of fixing
                  up, but Dad and Mom enjoyed doing that sort of thing. I can still
                  remember the day a big book case was smashed out between the dining
                  room and living room to make one big family room. Some of our family
                  had come to help on the big day. Wallpapering and painting were
                  done. It looked nice, from what I can remember, but I was a bit too
                  busy with my friends to notice much.
                  I was exploring the wide new world of school. My friend Robin,
                  lived across the street and we had lots of good times. I remember
                  talking and talking. Since she was two years older than I, she
                  taught me a lot about the world. What a laugh I'd have today if I
                  could go back and listen to a tape recording of those conversations!
                  The butcher's family lived down the street toward town. They had
                  8 children, two of which were twin boys. I didn't know them well,
                  but when they got BB guns for Christmas one year, I sure heard about
                  that! It didn't take long before everyone in the neighborhood knew
                  that one had shot the other in the eye! I don't remember seeing
                  them much after that. Maybe their mother didn't let them play
                  outdoors ever again. Or maybe I was afraid I'd never live through
                  playing in their yard, but I stayed away.
                  I didn't know just the kids. There was a lady, Mrs. Smithson,
                  with a huge crystal chandelier and another lady, who lived in a big
                  brick house and had cocker spaniels. I remember her house because
                  it had a one round window like a ship window that I thought was so
                  cool.
                  A boy, Joe Provost moved into the neighborhood and was in my
                  class at school. I don't think he liked me, because he never played
                  with us around the neighborhood, but I thought he was the handsomest
                  boy ever, while we lived there.
                  And then there was Katie. She wasn't as cool as Robin because
                  she was the same age as me, and Robin was very big stuff, being way
                  up there in 2nd grade, but she was fun to play with, especially when
                  no one was available to help me cross the street and go to Robin's
                  house. (It was a main street thing!)
                  Now Katie had a big brother and I don't remember his name, but
                  he was an older man about 10. He was also a patrol boy – now that
                  was big! I was at their house one day when a package arrived for
                  him. I was totally in awe. Right there in the kitchen was an
                  autographed photo of the Lone Ranger on his big horse (Silver, I
                  think.)! It was him on his beautiful horse, forelegs pawing the
                  air.. There were a few other photos – all big glossies, as well. It
                  probably was a birthday gift, or something.
                  Now I had seen the Lone Ranger. Tonto was his sidekick through
                  all kinds of trouble – his Kimosabe! (meaning trusted friend.)
                  One summer a girl came to live with her grandparents. I don't
                  remember her name, but there was always a big white horse in the
                  field, just pass the old high school. There was a small pony, as
                  well. I never got to ride the horse or the pony, but I can remember
                  sitting on the saddles in the barn and riding for hours. Those days
                  we were the heroes in our own stories.
                  There was also Roy Rogers. Those were such great stories for
                  kids, stories that had a moral code to live by and be proud of.
                  Remember those good ol' days?

                  ROY ROGER'S RIDER'S RULES

                  1. Be neat and clean.
                  2. Be courteous and polite.
                  3. Always obey your parents.
                  4. Protect the weak and help them.
                  5. Be brave but never take chances.
                  6. Study hard and learn all you can.
                  7. Be kind to animals and care for them.
                  8. Eat all your food and never waste any.
                  9. Love God and go to Sunday School regularly.
                  10. Always respect our flag and our country.

                  * * * * *

                  Simple `Catalina' Dressing

                  2/3 c ketchup, 1/4 c oil, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 c brown sugar, 1/2 t
                  salt,1 t mustard (not mustard powder),1 t onion powder
                  Whisk or blend in the blender and whirl it until it is smooth.
                  Store in a pint size canning jar. Makes about 1 1/3 cups. Children
                  are especially fond of this one. Great for dipping chicken pieces.
                  * * *Determined Grandmother * * *
                  A grandmother was very upset that her son and daughter-in-law
                  was moving to Europe while he was in the service – and taking her 6
                  month old grandson. She feared he would never know her when he
                  returned, and she cried and cried. After they left she hit upon a
                  winning idea. She bought some special bed-time story books and had
                  her friends take pictures of her holding each book. The she read
                  the books slowly into a tape recorder, gluing the photos inside each
                  cover. She then mailed them, with instructions to read one book
                  each night, and always show her grandson the photo, and play the
                  tapes with her voice. Several years past and ever couple months
                  she mailed more tapes and books. When the family finally moved
                  home, her grandson came running up to her at the airport
                  yelling, "You're my Grandmother, you're my grandmother!"

                  * * * Cheap Kitchen Redo * * *

                  For the past year or so, I've been changing my kitchen over to
                  blue and white. They've always been my favorite colors for a
                  kitchen. I had a lot of blue and white items, already. I didn't go
                  out and buy anything, except some material for curtains and paint.
                  This past week we stopped at a second hand store and I found a
                  beautiful set of dishes for $5.50! I brought them home, scrubbed
                  them up with baking soda. It's a really nice pattern that is
                  perfect for my kitchen. To me, it's more fun to search for items
                  over time than to spend lots of money for something new. Sometimes
                  you can exchange things with a friend who wants to change kitchen
                  colors, too. It's amazing what you can find at a second-hand store
                  in an out-of-the way small town.

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 5, 2005

                    Imagine for a moment...

                    Summer is almost upon us. But, before we know it, it will be
                    over. Imagine for a moment what would be your favorite thing to do
                    on a perfect summer day. Make a note of it. Can you do it once a
                    week this summer? What about once a month?
                    My husband and I found a perfect and remote sandy beach on
                    one of recent trips. It's a hike to get there, but not many people
                    would bother hiking nearly 2 miles to spend a few hours on a beach,
                    no matter how beautiful. We plan to visit it this summer,
                    hopefully more than once. It would be easy to reach September and
                    miss it, though. There are so many other things that could stand in
                    the way. We might work on the garden, or be too busy working.
                    Often, families don't take time off to play. We set
                    impossibly high standards and race around to try to meet them.
                    Before it's here, maybe your family can set down together and make a
                    list of what is their best idea for their perfect summer day. How
                    about spending a day canoeing? Or a week camping? How about a
                    fishing trip to your favorite spot? Maybe just a day in a hammock
                    with a good book or a game of golf with your son. What ever your
                    flavor – it's more than Baskin Robbins when it comes to summer. No
                    one has a job so important you can't take the weekends off to play,
                    or if you work on weekends, enjoy the weekdays off. However you do
                    it, spend your summer days as if there were no tomorrow.

                    "We all need encouragement. We can live without it just as a
                    young tree can live without fertilizer, but unless we receive that
                    warm nurturing, we never reach our full potential, and like the tree
                    left to itself, we seldom bear fruit." ~~Florence Littauer

                    "Neglect not the gift that is in thee." ~~ 1 Timothy 4:14

                    "The secret of a happy and successful life is to be
                    content with the abilities God gave and discontented with the use
                    you make of them." ~~ Burton Hillis

                    * * *

                    Simple Coconut Cream Pie
                    3 packages vanilla pudding mix (9 oz.)
                    5 oz cool whip
                    4 1/2 c milk
                    1 1/2 c coconut
                    1/2 c toasted coconut
                    2 baked pie shells

                    Mix first 4 items. Pour in baked pie shells and top with toasted
                    coconut. Chill.
                    Makes 2 pies.

                    Simple Pizza Sauce
                    1 8 oz c Tomato Sauce
                    1 t Dry Oregano
                    1/2 t Marjoram
                    1/2 t Dry Basil
                    1/2 t Garlic salt
                    1 t dried onion
                    * * *
                    Container Gardening Tips

                    Plants in containers need fertilizer regularly. Since they
                    are not in soil, they need feeding even more. They also tend to try
                    out faster, so often need watering once or twice daily, especially
                    in full sun. Light colored containers dry out slower than dark
                    containers that draw heat. Also, reduce watering by mulching
                    plants. Make sure when watering that you completely saturate
                    plants. Container soil is actually resistant to water, so it needs
                    a good soaking, regularly.
                    Rotate plants by turning containers to give plants even
                    sun/shade. Bring plants back to full bloom by trimming long droopy
                    stems, and deadheading spent blooms. If plants are allowed to go to
                    seed, it tells the plant to stop producing flowers. There are some
                    new hybrids that do not need deadheading, such as wave petunia.
                    Reduce costs of plants by starting with just a couple plants
                    and starting some plants by seed. Once the seed get sprouted and
                    up, add more plants on your porch and deck when they are ready.
                    Keep shade annuals, such as Lobelia with other shade
                    annuals. Don't' mix with annuals such as petunias that need full
                    sun because their needs are so different.
                    In case of mistakes, keep a few extra annuals handy to
                    replace any plants that might get too dried out. Put dried out
                    plants with any life left in the ground, trim off all dead growth,
                    and keep well watered until it perks up again.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 3, 2005

                      "The happier you are with the simple things, the easier it is to
                      be
                      happy."

                      There was nothing simple about the terrible hurricane that
                      shattered the lives of probably millions of people on the gulf coast
                      of our country. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have
                      lost loved ones, homes, and most everything but the clothes on their
                      backs. Most of us have never known such tragedy. Most of us have
                      never gone without a drink of water for more than a few minutes when
                      we needed one, let alone several days. We pray that their throats
                      will be quenched, and their tummies filled. That their needs of all
                      kinds will be met. Many may never see their old neighborhoods
                      again, nor their way of life.
                      I can not imagine if in one day every single thing that I'd
                      spent my life working for simply disappeared.
                      I was so happy to see the local Walmart parking lot and the
                      volunteers this past week, who worked to fill the semi-trucks to
                      take food and supplies to the refuges in the south. In one day, not
                      one, but three trucks were filled. Parents volunteered while their
                      children watched, and learned to have a heart of compassion. That
                      is how our children learn.
                      Our country came together during 9-11, and we will do it again.
                      I'm
                      not so sure that rebuilding a city that is below sea level is a good
                      idea, and I'd vote to move it, myself. But to where do you move
                      city? For now, we just need to focus on bringing some security and
                      peace to so many lives that have been turned upside down. But what
                      we can be thankful for, is that even in tragedy, good things can
                      happen and the compassion of humans can warm our hearts, and God
                      will show us his goodness in many ways. Maybe our true thankfulness
                      is what bubbles out in helpfulness to others. Isn't it amazing
                      how
                      other's trouble helps us notice how much we have to be thankful
                      for?
                      * * *

                      "The world needs all the help you can give by way of cheerful,
                      optimistic, inspiring thought and personal example." ~~Grenville
                      Kleiser

                      "The small choices and decisions we make a hundred times a day
                      add
                      up to determining the kind of world we live in." ~~Harold S.
                      Kushner

                      * * *

                      Simple Macaroni and Three Cheese Casserole

                      Ingredients:

                      2 Cups Elbow Macaroni; cooked al dente
                      ¾ Cup Parmesan Cheese
                      ¾ Cup Asiago Cheese
                      ¾ Cup Mozzarella Cheese

                      2 Tbs. Unsalted Butter
                      2 Tbs. Flour
                      3 Cups Heavy Cream (or)
                      Evaporated Skim Milk
                      Salt and Pepper to taste
                      ½ Cup Breadcrumbs
                      2 Tbs. Melted Butter

                      Directions:

                      1. Cook the macaroni until al dente. Drain and set aside 2. Using a
                      medium saucepan,
                      melt the butter and combine with the flour and stir until a thick
                      roux develops. Now add the cream and stir well to combine and make
                      sure there are no lumps. Add the cheese and stir continuously so the
                      cheese is well incorporated. Add the macaroni and mix well. Season
                      to taste. 3. Spray a 9x13 oven safe pan with pan release and add the
                      macaroni, top with the bread crumbs mixed with the 2 TBLS. Melted
                      butter and place into a preheated 400 degree oven and bake for about
                      15-20 minutes.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 9, 2006

                        Home Simple Home

                        "A happy person can be happy just about anywhere. An unhappy person will be happy nowhere."

                        I love the "Shabby Chic" look. In fact, most people don't know this, but I invented it -except I used to call it early Goodwill. It fits right in with my decorating sense of style, or lack thereof. My motto is, if it's comfy, it fits. Several old family treasures are among my non-part-with- ables. I have a lovely old yellow coffee pot in my living room. It sits perched atop a faded old white chair. Its lid has fallen open, and it has bright sunny sunflowers springing out the top. I don't care what time of year, it cheers me up. I only hide it for a few days at Christmas time. Our furniture matches reasonably well, but it's comfortable – the main consideration.

                        There are several fleece blankets around for chilly evenings. There are lots of bookcases, for the books we both love. Our woodstove, an old early 1900's Round Oak, from Dowagiac MI, needs a new coat of stove black, but she doesn't complain. Just keeps happily warming us. She sets on the tile hearth next to the chimney patiently waiting all summer for the first fire of the fall. Richard and I have burned wood for years and wouldn't know what to do if we didn't. With all the logging in our area, finding wood to burn has never been a problem. We enjoy several trips to the woods each year, and we don't burn more than 6-10 cords of firewood in a winter, anyway. I keep a small humidifier going in the winter to combat the dry air. And, there's a pan of water on top of the woodstove, as well. Once in a while, there is a pot of soup there, instead.

                        Blue is my favorite color, and once in a while I try another color, but if it's not some form of blue, it usually migrates back to blue. In the kitchen, I'd found a wallpaper border that featured old seed packets. I was given a set of green dishes for Christmas, so green was the color for a while.

                        After a while it was time for a change. When I found a blue and white tiffany-type lamp shade at a yard sale the color came back to blue. I find that just one item of color can set the stage for the whole room. I have several sets of curtains, all with blue, that I change of through the year. Usually. Last year a friend teased me that I still had my snow men curtains up in June. Oops! A little past time to change them. This year I better try to get them changed by March so she won't notice. I had a little blue on my front porch/summer sleeping room. Then at an antique shop I found a bright blue coverlet for $10. That was one time I couldn't say no. And I'm glad I didn't. The coverlet graces the pure-white comforter at the bottom of the bed in cool tones that take at least 10 degrees out of a hot summer day. In fact the west-side-facing front porch is shaded all day, so even on hot days, it stays cool. Since the breeze is nearly always from the west opening the windows in the evening makes a great place to sleep, and reminds me of sleeping on my grandparents front porch at the lake when I was a kid.

                        My back deck and 2 garden sheds are barnwood paneled. Old enamelware pans and washbasins (mostly blue, white, or gray) hang here and there, and mostly for the color. One old washbasin I found at a North Carolina flea market for $4. You can find a bargain anywhere.

                        Yard and resale shopping is one of my favorite activities. But I often go home empty handed when I can't find anything just right. You can have way too much stuff, and when I feel overloaded, it's time to start packing boxes for a yard sale. I made a new friend at work this year, who has a yard sale on a main highway at her home every summer. She invited me to bring some things to the yard sale. We donated most of whatever was left afterwards. It's a great way to make a few extra bucks and downsize at the same time. I really don't know how people can spend tons of money "redecorating". Sometimes it might take a year or two to find that "just right" something. I have so much fun seeking out special items for next to nothing, just buying new things wouldn't be any fun at all!

                        * * *

                        "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." ~~Leonardo da Vinci

                        "Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark." ~~George Iles

                        "All I know is that when I pray, coincidences happen; and when I don't pray, they don't happen." ~~ Dan Hayes

                        Simple Coconut Mounds (I can remember making these with a girlfriend when I was a kid!)

                        3/4 cup mashed potatoes

                        1 pound powdered sugar

                        1 pound macaroon coconut

                        1/2 tsp. almond extract

                        Combine all ingredients. Roll into balls using powdered sugar to roll. Chill in refrigerator for one hour. Dip in melted chocolate chips or chocolate bark.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 16, 2006

                            At home, the simpler things are, the better.

                            * * *
                            Coming home from work the other afternoon, I got behind a
                            car with several bumperstickers. Of course, I had to read them. I
                            don't know where you buy bumperstickers like these, but they were
                            not meant for car bumpers, nor were they meant for anywhere, as far
                            as I was concerned. I know this is America. We do have the right to
                            put just about any bumpersticker on our vehicle – yes, that's our
                            right. But if we put obscene bumperstickers on our cars or where
                            ever we so choose, it makes me think that we are only shooting
                            ourselves in the foot. Why would we want to?
                            I know that our forefathers didn't know they were fighting
                            to give breath to a country that would one day make the likes of
                            Howard Stern a multi-millionaire. They may have thought again.
                            When we listen to trash like that, or any trash of any kind, we vote
                            against our families, everything we hold dear, our country.
                            I know whoever was driving the car in front of me, would
                            only laugh had I had a chance to discuss the issue with them. I
                            assume they realize that anyone from reading age on up could read
                            their rear view billboard, and I would also assume that they don't
                            care who reads it. That's too bad. But I know there are people in
                            the world who just don't care. They don't appreciate the good
                            things in life. Or maybe they resent the fact that life wasn't
                            perfect for them. Maybe they never had a daddy who held them on
                            their shoulders at a Veteran's Parade. Or maybe they never got to
                            take swimming lessons, or spend the night at a friends. But I guess
                            I know something they don't.
                            Life is what you make it. You might not get to pick your
                            family, but once you leave home, you are all on your own. You can
                            put yourself through college. You can work at a grocery store. You
                            can buy a house, or live in a box. It's all up to you. Or, you can
                            throw it away.
                            When I was a kid in Jr. High, my principals son Alex was
                            around after school once in a while. He was good looking, and a
                            great athlete. Scholarship material. Great home on the lake, great
                            parents who would give him anything. Al decided it wasn't enough.
                            He overdosed. Probably still in a hospital today. Wish I could give
                            him another chance. One choice.
                            You can be the dad who gives his kid a piggyback ride at a
                            parade, or a mom who takes her kids to swimming lessons. No
                            excuses. This is America. And once you figure that out, you can
                            stop feeling sorry for yourself and take those obscene
                            bumperstickers off your car bumper and replace them with something
                            nice like, "America the Beautiful", because it is.

                            * * *

                            Simple Melt in Your Mouth Chicken
                            ( I made this the other day. It's like chicken potpie, only very
                            easy. If you have the chicken made ahead of time, it's even
                            easier. You could also use leftover turkey.)

                            1- 3lb. chicken (boil until tender or use leftovers)
                            1 can cream of chicken or mushroom soup
                            2 cups chicken broth (I used the water the chicken cooked in)
                            1 stick melted margarine
                            1 c buttermilk
                            1 c self rising flour
                            1 t salt
                            1/2 t pepper

                            Cube chicken and place in greased casserole dish. Combine the soup
                            and the chicken broth and pour over chicken.
                            Combine margarine, buttermilk, flour, salt and pepper and pour over
                            above to make crust. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes.
                            * * *

                            "I am able to do more for you than you could possibly imagine"…
                            Ephesians 3:20

                            Five thousand breathless dawns all new;
                            One million flowers fresh in dew.
                            Five thousand sunsets wrapped in gold;
                            One million snowflakes served ice cold.
                            Five quiet friends, one baby's love;
                            One white sea of clouds above.
                            One June night in a fragrant wood;
                            One heart that loved and understood.
                            I wondered when I waked that day -
                            In God's name - how could I ever pay?
                            ~~Courtland Sayers

                            "If the only prayer you say in your whole life is 'thank you,' that
                            would suffice." ~~Meister Eckhart

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 24, 2006

                              "Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity! I say, let your affairs be as
                              two or three, and not a hundred or a thousand. Simplify, simplify."
                              ~~Henry David Thoreau

                              It happened innocently enough. It was right after Christmas
                              and I was just looking for an easy read. The magazine rack looked
                              pretty tame. But it wasn't. Lurking behind the Reader's Digest,
                              and right there in front of Martha Stewart – it didn't just catch my
                              eye, it tugged. There was no way I could have missed it – the first
                              brand new gardening magazine of the year. The bright shiny cover
                              blazing with bright and sunny flowers. Wait a minute, my brain
                              protested. Here in Michigan it's still the middle of winter! We
                              have snow and ice and are lucky to see the sun peak out. We are
                              still dealing with salted walkways and black ice. Anger was icing
                              my brain cells. I had to look away. It was like looking at the sun
                              for too long. But I couldn't get away. There was another! I
                              looked the other direction – another!
                              I had not gone to the garden section of my favorite Barnes
                              and Nobles for that very reason. Too early to think spring. But
                              no. Here in a local grocery store where I should have been safe.
                              But too late.
                              I couldn't help it, really. I picked one up. I took a deep
                              breath and plunged into it. Pages and pages of flowers, vegetables –
                              and ugh! – landscaping! I thought I could put it down, but I
                              couldn't. I kept peeking. Several pages caught my eye. Images
                              seared onto my brain of green grass, and daylilies in full bloom.
                              Now what was I to do? Go home and grab a shovel? Walk
                              through my back yard of the new 10 inches of the white stuff
                              sniffing for rose blooms? Nothing irritates me more than being
                              tempted with something I can't have, for months.
                              We are months away from planting. Not days but months from
                              turning the soil and more months from plucking a ripe cherry tomato
                              from the vine. Our perennials are safely tucked away under the
                              snow. It's too early to even pull out the seed packets for the
                              windowsill.
                              But though the snow drifts and the wind howls outside, the
                              sun will shine again. We will come out of our igloos and one day
                              again we will wiggle our toes in the dirt and find that first
                              zucchini. At least I have plenty of time to plan my garden. But I
                              will stay away from the magazine racks for a couple weeks. If I can…
                              * * *

                              "Learn to laugh at your troubles and you'll never run out of
                              things to laugh at." ~~Lyn Karol

                              God shapes the world by prayer. The more praying there is in
                              the world the better the world will be, the mightier the forces
                              against evil." ~~E.M.Bounds
                              "I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know:
                              the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have
                              sought and found how to serve." ~~ Albert Schweitzer
                              * * *
                              We often have fund-raisers where different employees bring in crock
                              pots of soup, dessert, etc. and the money donated goes to a needy
                              family or other community cause. A friend at work made this beer-
                              batter bread to go with some soup. It's very easy, no kneading!
                              Great for when you don't have much time. Experiment with garlic or
                              other spices. Makes great toast and a nice pot of chili or soup.
                              Simple Beer Batter Bread

                              3 cups self rising flour
                              3 Tablespoons sugar
                              12 oz. room temp beer

                              Mix all together and pour into a regular bread pan..Bake 350 about
                              30 minutes or until lighly browned on top....Remove when cool enough
                              to handle and place on rack. Makes one loaf.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 31, 2006

                                "Simple living is being the same person on the outside as the
                                inside."

                                I was waiting in line at a store yesterday when a woman in
                                front of me caught my attention. Just minding my own business,
                                thinking of spring, maybe getting some seedlings started on a
                                windowsill, when my pleasant thoughts were so rudely interrupted by
                                a woman whose mouth just wouldn't quit. The man she was with I
                                assumed was her husband. I felt sorry for him. She began complaining
                                about the poor service she claimed she received at this business.
                                It all went downhill from there. The cashier suggested she move to
                                an empty nearby line if she didn't want to wait. She didn't want to
                                walk that far, and made it perfectly clear. There was no person
                                within earshot who wasn't disturbed by the debilitating drivel that
                                dripped from her mouth. I wanted to get as far from her as I
                                could. The cashier remained professionally cool as she patiently
                                waited on her customer and then the complaining woman.
                                If the service was so terrible, why was the woman here, I
                                wondered. No one else was complaining. I think some people just
                                enjoy going through life whining. Maybe they like listening to
                                their own voice. Or maybe they don't care what kind of attention
                                they get as long as it's attention. I also know everyone was very
                                relieved when she was gone. It was as if the sun came out. Not a
                                pleasant experience, but a learning experience.
                                I can go through life being a bright spot in someone's day,
                                or an angry cloud. We all have things we can complain about. But
                                why be in a hurry?
                                I don't really like driving on bad roads, but when I slow down to a
                                safe speed, turn on a nice radio station, and watch the pretty
                                scenery of winter, I can still enjoy my drive. Most of life is all
                                about attitude. Most of my time waiting in line, I can find
                                something to talk about with even strangers, and often do. Maybe
                                there is a baby to smile with, or an older person who shares a piece
                                of their life with me. Before long I'm walking to my car feeling as
                                if I'd made a new friend. I always tell the clerk I'm not in a
                                hurry. I'm not. Life is too short. Why am I here for this moment
                                in time? I can try to brighten someone's day in a minute or less.
                                It takes no talent or special skill except for a smile!
                                * * *
                                "Joy is to feel the doors of the self fly open into a wealth that is
                                endless because none of it is ours and yet it all belongs to us."
                                ~~William Sloane Coffin

                                "As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding,
                                mistrust and hostility to evaporate." ~~ writes Albert Schweitzer

                                * * *
                                Simple Dinner Idea

                                How would you like to have dinner delivered to your door several
                                nights a week, without hiring a cook or paying for delivery fees?
                                It will even save money? Four families with a small amount of
                                cooking talent can easily do this.
                                You each take one night a week to prepare a meal, but you make
                                enough for four families. You can do easy meals like a large pot of
                                chili or potato soup. Baked spaghetti, or other casserole. Add a
                                salad vegetable, and or bread. One night a week you make the
                                delivery just before the dinner hour and return home to your own
                                dinner. The other three nights you just stay home while dinner is
                                delivered. Get together with a couple other families and decide how
                                you'd like to do it. Maybe you only do Wednesdays. Maybe you take
                                turns hosting a family night at your house on Fridays. Maybe you
                                are a bunch of single parents who also share childcare. However it
                                works for you, it just takes a little ingenuity. It may sizzle out
                                after a while, but that's okay. You will probably have to adjust it
                                occasionally with schedule changes. That's okay too. Try it for a
                                month and then have another meeting to discuss changes. It just
                                might work for you!
                                * * *
                                Simple Sausage Lentil Soup

                                The spices for this soup can be easily adjusted, as well as the
                                sodium. Using different flavors of sausage can also vary the amount
                                of spice needed.
                                This soup is great with bread and salad!

                                Ingredients: 1 16-oz. pkg. dry lentils, 1 lb. sweet Italian
                                sausage,1 large yellow onion (chopped), 2 garlic cloves (minced), 3
                                celery stalks (chopped), 1 lb. carrots (sliced into small pieces),
                                6 cups chicken broth (or water with enough bouillon cubes to season
                                to taste), Salt, pepper, oregano, thyme and basil to taste, Freshly
                                grated parmesan cheese to garnish

                                Directions: Rinse lentils according to package instructions.
                                Brown sausage in a large soup pot and drain well. Add onion, garlic
                                and celery. Cook until onion is tender. Add all other ingredients,
                                except cheese. Cook until lentils are tender, approximately 30 to
                                40 minutes.
                                Sprinkle with cheese before serving.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 1, 2006
                                  "Being content where you are is the center of Simple living"

                                  I really want to play the guitar better. I love going to
                                  the Dulcimer Festival, and enjoy the music. I even have a fiddle
                                  that I haven't played in a couple years. I love gardening, and
                                  sewing, and cooking. I also love playing golf, etc. etc. There are
                                  some important things that take time, but sometimes they get left
                                  out. I have several priorities. But sometimes I just end up
                                  reading a book, going for a walk, or doing something that isn't all
                                  that important. What about volunteer time, or family time, or time
                                  for my faith? I have to be sure that isn't on the back burner.
                                  Whew! Do you see what I see? When I do have a day off, how do I
                                  spend those precious hours? Way too many hobbies, and only so many
                                  hours in a day.
                                  Maybe this year it's time to prioritize my priorities! I
                                  know exactly what I should be doing. I am committing myself to that
                                  end. What about you? Do you know what your priorities are? What
                                  can you do to make it happen? If you have kids, that is your
                                  priority right now. You can't do it all. Do everything you can to
                                  make your time with your family your priority. After that, it's up
                                  to you. Don't waste it on stuff that doesn't really matter. It can
                                  all seem important. It isn't. Make a list and number them. If
                                  it's not near the top, lose it. Maybe not forever, but just for
                                  this year. Work on one or two important priorities. Think about
                                  it, study it. Get good at it. Now you can see what happens. Don't
                                  let the unimportant things block your path to the more important
                                  things.
                                  * * *
                                  "If you paint in your mind a picture of bright and happy
                                  expectations, you put yourself into a condition conducive to your
                                  goal." ~~ Norman Vincent Peale
                                  * * *
                                  Working in a local retail store, I can see what a difference
                                  it makes to keep your receipts. It's not that hard to put them in
                                  an envelope, shoe box, or file folder when you get home and empty
                                  your pockets. You might have a place in your purse or glove box.
                                  Many nurseries guarantee plants for a year. You don't have to keep
                                  all your grocery receipts, unless you want to keep them for only a
                                  month, or so. You could even have several large envelopes, one for
                                  clothing, one for tools, and kitchen tools, or furniture, or even
                                  home improvement. Some stores will take back items without a
                                  receipt, but only at the clearance price. Most stores will give
                                  full credit if there is a receipt that is less than 3 months old.
                                  It's your money! If you buy extra supplies for remodeling, take
                                  back the excess immediately. If a product goes out of date, such as
                                  a style of lamp, or furniture, and many more, once it is clearanced,
                                  you cannot get credit for it. Put it immediately in the front seat
                                  of your car to return at the next time you get near that store.
                                  * * *
                                  Produce----Yield
                                  Here are some amounts for some common produce items! Copy this
                                  and keep with your recipes.
                                  Produce Yields
                                  1 medium onion 1/2 to 2/3 cups chopped
                                  1 medium pepper 3/4 to 1 cup chopped
                                  1 medium cucumber 1-1/2 cups sliced or chopped
                                  1 medium apple 3/4 cup diced, or 1 cup
                                  chopped or sliced
                                  3 medium apples 1 pound
                                  1 medium potato 1 cup cubed, or 1/2 cup
                                  mashed
                                  3 medium potatoes 1 pound
                                  3 medium carrots 1-1/2 cups diced or sliced
                                  1 medium head leaf lettuce 4 to 6 cups torn up
                                  1 pound broccoli 3-1/2 cups florets
                                  1 pound green beans 4 cups trimmed

                                  Simple Cleaning: It doesn't take special sprays or formulas to get
                                  the sticky gunk off the counter, stove, dishes, etc. Just letting it
                                  soak with water is all it takes most of the time. Dishes soak for 15
                                  minutes before scrubbing. If the stove or counter has hard gook on
                                  it, I spray it down generously with water, and let it sit for a
                                  couple of minutes or cover with a warm and wet dishcloth. If it
                                  doesn't come off right away, I just spray it again, or let it sit
                                  longer. If you are worried about germs, use very salty water. Put as
                                  much salt in the water as will dissolve. The salt kills the germs. A
                                  doctor who volunteered in third world countries told this. That's
                                  what they use to kill viruses and germs in the hospital. It's easy
                                  to keep a spray bottle under the sink!

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 6, 2006

                                    A Simple Faith

                                    A writer is always on the lookout for interesting insight into
                                    things that happen in life. Whether it's for an article, or a
                                    novel, there is great material all around us.

                                    A couple weeks ago, a friend was telling me that he had a
                                    great professor in college. The professor had explained to the class
                                    that religions were just invented in ancient days by people who needed
                                    to somehow understand the meaning of life. They used religion to
                                    explain great tragedies such as earthquakes or floods. I was rather
                                    dumbfounded, but there wasn't time to ask any questions.

                                    A week or so later, this same friend saw me using a red pen.
                                    A simple little red pen, which had just happened to be available at the
                                    time I needed a pen. "Red! Why are you using a red pen!
                                    That's not good Karma! It's bad luck," he said.

                                    I laughed. "It's just a red pen. I don't believe
                                    in Karma anyway," I said. He handed me a black pen. "Here, use
                                    this."

                                    Right then and there, I knew I had my weekly column all
                                    wrapped up. It's true that everyone needs something to believe in.
                                    His professor was right about that. What happens when an atheist falls
                                    overboard in the middle of the ocean? He screams, "Oh God!, O
                                    God!" If given the chance we will all turn to God in the end. But
                                    why wait until the end?

                                    It's been said that anyone who had seen a baby, knows that
                                    God exists. Having seen my own babies, as well as my granddaughter, I
                                    have no doubt. All babies are miracles. Who could believe different?
                                    Miracles don't just happen. There was no "Big Bang" that
                                    happened billions of years ago, that "evolved" into man.

                                    It amazes me that we can go through life and chose not to
                                    believe in the God who gave us our very breath. We go through day after
                                    day and don't seem to care that the creator of the world is waiting
                                    to help us through each of those days.

                                    Ever watch a three year old getting dressed? You are in a
                                    hurry to get to an appointment, but when you try to help them, "I do
                                    it myself!" they demand as they put their arm in the wrong side of
                                    the shirt. We are not unlike that child. We demand from the
                                    air-craft-controller of the universe, "I can do it myself!" We
                                    hang on to our crutches and excuses, arrogantly believing that we know
                                    better. We could ask for simple guidance through our day, but would
                                    rather stick to our stubborn independence. We wander around in the
                                    deserts of our lives with the oasis just over the next dune. But we
                                    can't see it because we don't ask for directions.

                                    Everything that happens to us screams, "I am here! Call
                                    on me! I want to help you!" But when do we pull out our "Get
                                    out of jail free" card? We usually wait until it's a last
                                    resort. We wait until a loved one has cancer, or we get a flat on the
                                    way to an important job interview.

                                    Many people believe that God is love, so everyone will be in
                                    heaven. Can't possibly be true. Why? Because of free choice. We
                                    choose to be kind, or hateful, or be a bank robber or a teacher. No
                                    matter what we believe or don't believe, it takes faith. It takes
                                    faith to be an atheist. It takes faith to believe the teachings of a
                                    charismatic professor. It takes faith to think, "I'll deal with
                                    this when I'm old."

                                    But no matter. God is patient. He will wait as long as it
                                    takes. Now or later. And sometimes, never. He just wants to hear
                                    those two little words, "I believe." Now how hard is that?

                                    * * *
                                    Simple Home Fries:4 large Potatoes -- scrubbed1/3 cup
                                    Vegetable Oil1/4 teaspoon Garlic Salt1/4 teaspoon Seasoned Salt1/8
                                    teaspoon Black PepperSauce:1/2 cup Miracle Whip®1/2 cup Catsup
                                    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Using a large baking sheet, pour oil onto
                                    baking sheet and spread to completely cover. Sprinkle all seasonings
                                    evenly over oiled surface, then set aside. Using a large knife, or a
                                    decorative slicer, slice each potato into long strips, about 1/2" x 1" x
                                    4". Lay strips on oiled baking sheet, turning each one to coat with
                                    spiced oil. When all potatoes have been prepared on baking sheet, bake
                                    for 20 - 25 minutes, or until fries are beginning to turn golden on
                                    edges. Serve hot as a side dish with the sauce.

                                    * * *

                                    Simple Cider Cure

                                    A man had a serious problem with heartburn for the last three years.
                                    They were purchasing Pepcid Complete once every other week at around $17
                                    a bottle. He got a tip from a relative of taking a tablespoon of Apple
                                    Cider vinegar at night before bed or before any spicy meal. It's hard
                                    going down but does the job wonderfully. Since starting this, he has not
                                    had one episode of heartburn and the $2.49 bottle of cider (which lasts
                                    a lot longer than two weeks) is much cheaper than the $17 we were
                                    spending.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 14, 2006
                                      Spring is on the Way!

                                      It may be snowing outside right now (yes, it is!)
                                      here in lovely `ol Michigan, but spring is in the air. Richard, (my
                                      husband) saw 9 robins in the yard yesterday. I'm pretty sure they
                                      are hiding today, but in a couple days, they will be back, pulling
                                      the worms from the yard. We've seen cranes, already, in fact, the
                                      whole bird population seems to be exploding.
                                      Bird watching is a great family entertainment that
                                      is not costly. Taking a walk in the woods where ever you are, is
                                      cheap, especially when you pack a lunch. The exercise is a fringe
                                      benefit.
                                      Keep a calendar. It doesn't matter which year. If you
                                      see a bald eagle, or another rare sight, jot it down. Maybe you see
                                      a bird really early in the spring one year. Or you visit the beach
                                      and see another kind of bird for the first time. It can be quite a
                                      fun hobby for the whole family. You can also take some photos and
                                      keep them in an album. Whatever your hobby, your family can think
                                      up great ways to enjoy it together. Do it on a regular basis. There
                                      are all kinds of new things to notice with each season, as well.
                                      The internet has also opened a great new world of exploration. When
                                      you see a new bird, for example, you can find perhaps thousands of
                                      articles of information on the subject.
                                      I recently met someone who told me about being a naturalist.
                                      I really didn't know what a naturalist was, but he learned it from
                                      his own father. He and his family spend time each month noticing
                                      nature, and documenting sightings of different kinds of plants
                                      animals, and even bugs! It's definitely not expensive, but what a
                                      great way to spend time as a family.

                                      * * *
                                      Simple Gardening
                                      Did you know that for the most part, soil test kits are really not
                                      necessary? After all these years "experts" admit that most soil, on
                                      any given property is "average". Something most of us amateur
                                      gardeners suspected all along. Most soils need amendments. Good
                                      old fertilizers, such as manure, or green manure. If you know a
                                      farmer, or someone who raises rabbits or has horses, manure won't be
                                      too expensive, maybe free. Or, you might want to raise chickens or
                                      rabbits on your own.
                                      Composted manures are better since the weeds seeds have
                                      been destroyed by the heating process in the composting. So if you
                                      have sand, clay, or good ol' loam, you can all benefit from some
                                      good ol' fertilizers. And whether you have sand or clay, you both
                                      need the structure. Sand drains too well, so needs other materials
                                      such as chopped lawn clippings, manures, chopped straw, chopped
                                      leaves, or worked in green crops, to help keep moisture in the
                                      soil. Clay soils need the same added structures to help it drain.
                                      If you have very fertile soil, you don't want to add too much
                                      nitrogen, however, to garden plants or flowers, because nitrogen
                                      encourages "green" growth instead of flower and fruit growth. If
                                      your land hasn't been chemically fertilized in a while, you may
                                      qualify as "organic", which is really important lately with all the
                                      new information about chemicals that we have been finding out. No
                                      one really know the effect some chemicals could have on us, so
                                      staying natural is important. If you sell your produce at all, being
                                      organic is a really good thing.
                                      So save the money from your test kit and just add some
                                      simple compost.
                                      * * *
                                      "In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right
                                      thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing
                                      you can do is nothing."~~ Theodore Roosevelt

                                      "Every new opinion, at its starting, is precisely in a minority of
                                      one." ~~ Thomas Carlyle

                                      * * *
                                      Sugar Cookies
                                      1 stick oleo 1/2 t soda
                                      1 stick butter 2 1/2 c flour
                                      1 1/4 c sugar 1 t vanilla
                                      1 egg

                                      mix ingredients as listed. Form into balls. Roll in sugar and
                                      flatten with fork. Bake @375` about 8-10 minutes until just lightly
                                      turning brown. Remove immediately from pan.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 21, 2006
                                        "When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or
                                        compete, everybody will respect you." ~~ Lao-Tzu

                                        Finding peace in your life is all about the simple life. I
                                        have to laugh at some of the incongruous ways that people try to
                                        make a living. There are some pretty stupid criminals. The guy who
                                        was trying to rob a convenience store and left his wallet behind.
                                        And with all the surveillance cameras, you can't hardly get away
                                        with anything. But who wants to go through life looking over his
                                        shoulder wondering "will I get caught today?" One man fled to
                                        another state after a crime, but recently was picked up after 10
                                        years. Ten years of looking over his shoulder.

                                        No one can be truly happy when there is no peace. Life is
                                        about being true to oneself. It's about hard work, and honest
                                        living. It's about integrity and being able to look yourself in the
                                        mirror.

                                        Anything you can't be really proud of is an area that needs
                                        improvement. It's not about getting even or seeking revenge, as we
                                        sometimes feel. Guilt is a good indicator. What is it you feel the
                                        worst about? You don't have to be a criminal to have things in your
                                        life that beg for a deeper look. We can spend our lives trying to
                                        prove to others what a "good" person we are, but we all deal with
                                        being the same on the inside as we are on the outside.

                                        I recently heard a man turn down an alcoholic drink. "I
                                        know I can't handle it," he admitted. Wow. Humbling to be sure.
                                        But he knew what he had to do. I don't know if he felt strong, but
                                        he was really showing his strength. It takes a big person to admit
                                        their weaknesses.

                                        A woman I know realized she was yelling at her kids too
                                        much. She sat down with herself one day and thought about it. She
                                        realized it was the stress in her life, and had nothing to do with
                                        her kids. It had also been a pattern in her family when she was
                                        growing up, and she didn't like it. Right then and there she quit
                                        yelling. She told me it wasn't even tempting once she figured out
                                        why she was yelling.

                                        A man had to quit a good job because he was being asked by
                                        his superiors to do some dishonest things. He was told to look the
                                        other way, at times. He did it for a while, but eventually, he
                                        couldn't do it any longer. He quit. He gave up the paycheck.
                                        Things were tough. He had to sell some "toys" that his family had
                                        enjoyed. He may never find a job that pays as well. Maybe he will
                                        move. But now he can live with himself. His life is already
                                        better. He's spending more time with his kids. He hasn't even
                                        realized that he did the right thing yet, because it still stings.
                                        There is fallout to doing the right thing at times. Sometimes it
                                        takes a while to realize you did the right thing. Simple living is
                                        being right with yourself.

                                        * * *
                                        "There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship,
                                        communion, or company than a good marriage." ~~ David Ben-Gurion

                                        Simple Squash Casserole

                                        1 pound yellow squash, sliced,1 onion, finely chopped, 1 cup grated
                                        Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup half and half, 2 Tablespoons butter, 1 egg,
                                        beaten, Dash of nutmeg, Salt and pepper to taste,1/2 cup cracker
                                        crumbs, Paprika to taste

                                        TO PREPARE:
                                        Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Steam squash and onion until done.
                                        Drain. Combine squash and onion in a large bowl, add cheese,half and
                                        half, butter, egg, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix well. Place
                                        mixture in a greased casserole dish. Top with cracker crumbs and
                                        paprika. Bake approximately 25-30 minutes until slightly browned.

                                        Doesn't this recipe make you hungry for that fresh squash
                                        from the garden? I can't wait to get my fingers in the soil, but
                                        right now my garden is just a mucky mess. When you can walk on your
                                        garden, you can plant peas, onions and a few other veggies that
                                        frost won't hurt. It's almost here! It's not too late to plan how
                                        big or small you want your garden. A grape tomato plant in a pot or
                                        a –half-acre menagerie – it's up to you!

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 28, 2006

                                          "Gardening is the heart of simple living."

                                          A special HI to all! Yesterday I found a local strawberry
                                          farm, and bought 8 quarts of strawberries, just picked that
                                          morning. There berries were fantastic! My friend had bought someat
                                          a local fruit market, and they were all mushy. When she took them
                                          back, she found out they were from Mexico! I don't know how long it
                                          takes to get strawberries from Mexico to MI, but several days to be
                                          sure! So if you want the most yummy berries, BUY LOCAL GROWN!

                                          My hubby cleaned them, I chopped them up with my hand chopper,
                                          the kind from Pampered Chef (works great) and made two batches of
                                          jam. I like the reduced sugar Sure Jell. Making Jam is so easy. I
                                          cook the jam, and put it in jars. My mom had given me all her
                                          canning stuff, but when she saw my jam, she wished she had not given
                                          it away! I gave her some jam, and told her we will do a batch
                                          together.
                                          For dinner, we had warm homemade biscuits, covered with
                                          strawberries and whipped cream. The biscuits were still warm.
                                          Yumm! I always use the recipe from the back of the Clabber Girl
                                          biscuit can
                                          1/3 c marg (the recipe calls for shortening, but this is better)
                                          2 1/4 c flour
                                          2 t Baking Powder
                                          1/2 t salt
                                          2 T. sugar (my addition)
                                          about 3/4 c milk
                                          The dough should be almost dry enough to not be sticky. If it's too
                                          sticky, add a bit more flour. For good biscuits, don't stir it any
                                          more than you have to. Put some flour on your pan ( I use a baking
                                          stone) Preheat oven to 450`. Pat out the dough on the stone, using
                                          a bit of flour under and on the dough. Pat out to 1/2 inch. Cut
                                          with biscuit cutter, or glass. place one biscuit on top of the
                                          other to make a double high biscuit. Bake for 12 minutes. THESE
                                          ARE THE BEST BISCUITS EVER!!!! Very Simple. If you have biscuit
                                          mix, just add 2 T. sugar. You can double this batch easily!

                                          Now what is more simple than a strawberry dinner in summer???

                                          * * *

                                          From a tomato in a pot to crops in a huge plot, a garden
                                          grounds us. It brings us back to basics. It makes us see what
                                          matters. It gives us the responsibility to realize that when we
                                          nurture something, we touch the earth, and it touches us back.
                                          If every child had a plant to take care of, or maybe a small
                                          garden, the violence in this world would be almost non-existent. We
                                          all need to learn to nurture. A child who learns to grow things
                                          doesn't want to hurt things, but learns to take care of things. We
                                          need to feed and water a plant to get it to grow. Watch a gardener
                                          walk among his plants. He talks to them. He waters them, feeds
                                          them, trains them in their growth. He waits for them through long
                                          winters and welcomes them each spring. And each morning, he walks
                                          among his plants, touching them, enjoying the fragrances, noticing
                                          what kind of care his plants need. Weeds are plucked, flowers
                                          deadheaded to encourage more blooming, watering here, harvesting
                                          there. And then, enjoying the fruits of his labor. Sliced
                                          strawberries on a bowl of cereal for breakfast, an onion slice on a
                                          hamburger for dinner, or an ear of juicy-sweet corn steaming and
                                          dripping with butter for dessert.
                                          Gardening is a peaceful endeavor. Gardening is inexpensive –
                                          from the cost of a seed packet or two, to the cost of a flat of a
                                          variety of plants. Maybe a pot and some potting soil and a bit of
                                          fertilizer. But when combined with some freezing, drying and
                                          canning, it can be a money maker. Think of the cost of strawberry
                                          jam for a year. Now think of the cost of a few jar lids and some
                                          pectin, and you have free jam for a year! Gardening can be good
                                          exercise, from building a new plot with a shovel (the best way), or
                                          it can be merely relaxing by planting a few plants in a pot and
                                          watering them.
                                          However you choose to garden is your choice. But no matter
                                          how you do it, it will make the world a better place. Even with a
                                          few weeds, (and not all weeds are a nuisance) No doubt about it – it
                                          makes your corner of the world a great place to start!
                                          * * *

                                          "Hope is seldom found in the things we can see; it is the sweet
                                          fragrance of grace."

                                          "I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find
                                          out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to
                                          find out there is." ~~ unknown

                                          "If wrinkles must be written upon our brows, let them not be written
                                          upon the heart. The spirit should never grow old."~ ~James A.
                                          Garfield
                                          * * *
                                          Simple Watering
                                          Having a garden means watering. But watering doesn't have
                                          to be expensive. Water plants well, and mulch with newspaper,
                                          plastic, leaves saved from last fall, grass clippings, or old strips
                                          of carpet. When mulched, plants need little watering unless it is
                                          very dry.
                                          If you must water, consider it a pleasure to walk among your
                                          plants and water each plant. It gives each plant a good drink, as
                                          well as a chance to observe insect problems, and also doesn't water
                                          the weeds like a sprinkler would do. Watering each plant starves
                                          the weeds. After watering, take a few more moments once a week to
                                          move your hoe lightly along the surface of the soil. That is all it
                                          takes to eliminate the small weeds. No large equipment needed. Or,
                                          if you have a large garden, do several rows a day. Keeping it
                                          simple in the garden.

                                          * * *
                                          Simple BLT's and Strawberry Shortcake

                                          Fry up some bacon and slice up a nice juicy tomato from the
                                          garden, and wash some bibb lettuce from the garden. Add some salad
                                          dressing and you are on your way to a great sandwich dinner. Slice
                                          some strawberries and mix in a bit of sugar or splenda. Spoon over
                                          ice cream, with a dollop of whip cream. Put a sweet biscuit under
                                          it for shortcake. To make easy biscuits, use a biscuit mix, adding
                                          a tablespoon or two to a batch making them just slightly sweet.
                                          Warm biscuits, fresh from the oven, under your shortcake is truly
                                          the best strawberry shortcake there is!

                                          Keeping Summer Simple,
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 25, 2007

                                            Lessons for the Garden

                                            A garden that one makes oneself becomes associated with one's
                                            personal history and that of one's friends, interwoven with one's
                                            tastes, preferences, and character, and constitutes a sort of
                                            unwritten...autobiography. ~Alfred Austin

                                            "If we make our goal to live a life of compassion and unconditional
                                            love, then the world will indeed become a garden where all kinds of
                                            flowers can bloom and grow." Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

                                            * * *
                                            This week we put up a new arbor, painted Buttercream. I
                                            mixed the color, adding just a little yellow paint to some white I
                                            already had. It is not easy to paint an arbor, there are a lot of
                                            nooks and crannies, but I did get it all covered. I had a
                                            beautiful `heavenly blue' morning glory to climb up it, along with a
                                            few other colors, and when it was all put together, the effect was
                                            beautiful! I had some morning glories that came up from seed on
                                            their own. But I had to transplant them. Why is it when they come
                                            up from seed, they don't come up where they should be? The next
                                            morning they were looking pretty wilted, even though I was so
                                            careful. By the next day, though, they were looking healthier. They
                                            are going to make it!

                                            In the garden we are still planting some seeds. With no rain
                                            now for a week, we are sure to give lots of water to our healthy
                                            plants. Especially when they are just coming up, they really need
                                            water every day to help keep them strong. It's getting harder to
                                            find seeds, but there is still lots of time to plant things like
                                            radishes, beans, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, and many favorites.
                                            Even some plants that need a longer growing time, can be found with
                                            shorter days to harvest. Good care helps, too. The proper watering
                                            and fertilizing help to get plants producing. Too much dryness,
                                            stunts growth, and keeps the plant just hanging on instead of setting
                                            fruit.

                                            So, if you are wanting to plant some fall crops, pick up your
                                            seeds while you can still find them! If you have extra seeds,
                                            storing them in a cool, dry environment can help lengthen their shelf
                                            life. I keep mine in tins, veggie seeds in one, flower seeds in the
                                            other.

                                            For watering plants around my deck, I use tap water that
                                            would normally go down the drain. My tap runs almost a gallon of
                                            water before the water gets hot in the kitchen, but I don't just let
                                            it run down the drain, I use it to water the plants close to the
                                            house, and a few indoor plants. I try to conserve when possible.
                                            Keeping my fertilizer right under the sink makes it easy to add to
                                            the water.
                                            * * *

                                            Simple Pork Chops
                                            4 to 6 pork chops
                                            1 cup ketchup
                                            1 cup Coke
                                            Brown pork chops and place in baking dish. Mix Coke and ketchup
                                            together and pour over pork chops. Cover with foil. Bake at 375 for
                                            45 minutes. You could also grill these, wrapped in foil, on a medium
                                            grill. Nice and tender!

                                            * * *
                                            No one has an exclusive on opportunity. When the sun rises, it rises
                                            for everyone. ~~Chinese proverb

                                            When your bow is broken and your last arrow spent, then shoot--shoot
                                            with your whole heart. ~~Zen proverb

                                            columns.
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 28, 2008

                                              We can stay young by focusing on a dream instead of on a regret.

                                              Simple Good Oatmeal Muffins

                                              1 C Old-fashioned Oatmeal
                                              1 C Milk
                                              mix and let sit for 5 minutes
                                              Add:
                                              1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
                                              1/3 c brown sugar
                                              ½ t salt
                                              ¼ c oil
                                              1 egg
                                              1 c flour
                                              1 t cinnamon
                                              1 T baking powder

                                              scoop into greased muffin cups. Makes about 8 muffins. Bake @ 425
                                              for 20 minutes until golden brown.
                                              * * *
                                              Special Delivery

                                              When you wish to give a plant to someone in the hospital, put
                                              together your own and take it to the hospital to the volunteer desk
                                              with the patient's name and room number. It'll be "delivered" by the
                                              volunteers just like the florist shop items! This can save a lot of
                                              money because you use your own container purchased from a thrift
                                              store or garage sale and your own plant and make your own delivery.
                                              The patient just knows that you were thinking of him/her, and then
                                              you can make a visit later that day or the next day if you are in the
                                              same vicinity. Try it. No one questions your dropping off a gift to
                                              be delivered. This also gives you incentive to repot those `extra'
                                              plants, like those extra baby spiders plants, or take cuttings from
                                              your philodendra. Even orchids make baby plants you can get starts
                                              from! When you get them established, you can get them potted up in a
                                              nice pot for a birthday or "cheer –up" gift. You could also look for
                                              clearance plant sales, just to get a start! When a friend gave me an
                                              orchid, she also gave me a note card with instructions for care, and
                                              the likes and dislikes of the particular plant. It's easy to look up
                                              plant names on the internet and make your own little plant cards and
                                              keep them in a filebox for your own reference.

                                              * * *
                                              I try to get out every day and get some fresh air, and go for a
                                              walk. Even though I don't often feel like getting out, especially
                                              when the wind can be so frigid, but I really enjoy it, once I get out
                                              there. The past few days 6(!)Bluebirds have been entertaining us
                                              right in front of our bay window. I was watching them this morning,
                                              and the thought crossed my mind that maybe we were the ones being
                                              watched. Maybe they feel sorry for us, thinking we are stuck in the
                                              cage called a house? Who knows who is the watcher and the watchee!
                                              They flit about and sing, and ruffle up their feathers to look
                                              bigger, and now that there are 6 instead of 2, and even though there
                                              is about a foot of snow still, there they are. If they can stand the
                                              cold and the snow, just maybe I will make it too. While they have
                                              cheered me up this morning, who can I cheer up today?

                                              * * *
                                              I have been spending a lot of spare time working on our family
                                              history this winter. There are a lot of free sites you can access
                                              from the Internet, just by searching genealogy, family history sites,
                                              etc. I am combing through family photo albums, and notes as far back
                                              as I can find. The other day I was able to add my Great
                                              grandmother's middle name (Nora), and some other details, all one at
                                              a time. It's like adding more and more pieces to a puzzle. I hope
                                              to just keep adding more and more. I even found a cousin Sue, that I
                                              have never met on the internet. We share a great-great grandfather!
                                              If you are looking for a simple, and yet meaningful hobby, family
                                              history is really fun, and it can get creative and artistic. You can
                                              find lots of ideas at libraries, and most local libraries have
                                              genealogical societies, that will be glad to lend you a hand, and
                                              point you in the right direction.

                                              Email: thesimple_life@...
                                              columns.